The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

Now we are back to talking about football matters keep of release? 

Dixon

Durnan

Hall

Connolly

Miller

Telfer

All except Telfer. Only other concern would be  Dixon and Miller aren't getting any younger and we could do with some younger legs in the team. 

33 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Don’t see many others making any similar claim. For the amount of total disregard for fans and supporters/shite we’ve become used too from previous chairman’s, to me his interview was a breath of fresh air, as said it all about opinions.

Just find it a bit grating to hear him playing the victim when we should have been pissing this league.

1 hour ago, Moutinho said:

Dixon was excellent for most of last season so I’d be doing everything possible to keep him. Telfer is one that should be good on paper but he was the invisible man for most of last season so wouldn’t mind if he was moved on.

Have always thought Dixon would better playing as one of the center backs.

Saw this story and though I remembered @Back Post Misses picked up his nasty case in the Tyrol. Not much coverage of UK cases right now in the US, is there an estimate of the percentage in the UK with antibodies? In the US, they’re mooting about 20%.

“Some 40% of residents in the Tyrolean skiing resort that has been described as a possible “ground zero” for the pandemic in Europe have developed Covid-19 antibodies, scientists have found.

Scientists from the university of Innsbruck tested 80% of the population of Ischgl, a popular Austrian skiing destination from which tourists have been confirmed to have carried the virus to Germany, Britain, Denmark, Iceland, Belgium, the Netherlands, and even Brazil and Israel. 

Of 1,259 adults and 214 children tested, 42.5% had developed antibodies for the virus. The director of the university’s Institute for Virology, Dorothee von Laer, on Thursday described the result as the higher level of infection confirmed across the globe so far.

Of those infected, only 15% had experienced any sort of symptoms, the study found. This means as many as 85% experienced the infection without noticing.”

- The Guardian

Just now, HopeStreetWalker said:

To go back to football, the Dixon I saw play Raith looked more threatening with crosses from near the edge of the penalty area. Of course, that might just have been that our goalie couldn’t defend those to save his life.

As for Telfer, has anyone figured out if it’s the FFC scheme he doesn’t fit his play style, or what. I saw a few moments of excellent vision in what little he played on clips I saw, but from comments it seems he wasn’t arsed enough to really play.

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

To go back to football, the Dixon I saw play Raith looked more threatening with crosses from near the edge of the penalty area. Of course, that might just have been that our goalie couldn’t defend those to save his life.

As for Telfer, has anyone figured out if it’s the FFC scheme he doesn’t fit his play style, or what. I saw a few moments of excellent vision in what little he played on clips I saw, but from comments it seems he wasn’t arsed enough to really play.

He was superb against Ayr in the league cup and I really thought we'd signed a top player but too many games he just didnt show up.  He doesnt have the pace to play out wide or the work rate to play in the middle. 

30 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

I think that's true up until, probably the Linlithgow tie when he discovered that he could cross a ball properly rather than continually floating it high into the box. Whilst basically sound, he's been caught out a few times playing centrally, notably the hash he made of defending a ball in the second Clyde away game when it got caught under his feet and he allowed the forward to run past him to score.

32 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Telfer was considered a top prospect when he was a laddie with Dundee Utd, IIRC, paying a good amount of money to Rangers for him. That promise didn't seem to materialise though and he drifted a good bit, even plunging as low as playing for Morton, before he joined us. He looked very good in a few early games but again started to drift and hadn't shown very much at all for the majority of the season. He's lightweight and not good in a scrap. Compare him to wee Connolly though who's much the same stature but can get stuck in when required.

I think he's given up on doing anything particularly notable in the game and will be looking to go part-time soon as he's studying for a law degree, so is preparing for football to take a back seat.

Darvel must be chucking some money about but at the same time it’s not much of a surprise to see McShane drop down to that level. After a decent enough start for us he chucked it very quickly and was a complete waste of a wage last season. He had an ok 30 minutes playing right midfield against Raith I think when we were down to 10 men and missed a penalty against Ayr. In 37 games for us that’s the only things that stand out. A bit of a nothing midfielder.

8 minutes ago, Russ said:

Darvel must be chucking some money about but at the same time it’s not much of a surprise to see McShane drop down to that level. 

Interesting statement on another forum from a Falkirk fan who's heavily involved with a local junior club. I presume he'll know a fair amount about teams at that level.... and he commented that Darvel are paying £300-£450 a week for players. 

Edited to add - it appears a few of the former junior clubs are spending big in order to get into the pyramid system and eventually the SPFL, with Kelty obviously being a prime example. 

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

I think that's true up until, probably the Linlithgow tie when he discovered that he could cross a ball properly rather than continually floating it high into the box. Whilst basically sound, he's been caught out a few times playing centrally, notably the hash he made of defending a ball in the second Clyde away game when it got caught under his feet and he allowed the forward to run past him to score.

The Dixon that everyone on here was complaining about was too tentative to play central, because of his habit of just backing away from the attacking player, trying to block him from direct goal progress. Works when you have time and space (i.e. on the wings) but is a critical weakness in the middle.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Telfer...lightweight and not good in a scrap. Compare him to wee Connolly though who's much the same stature but can get stuck in when required.

I think he's given up on doing anything particularly notable in the game and will be looking to go part-time soon as he's studying for a law degree, so is preparing for football to take a back seat.

That’s the nail on the head...a head for the game, but perhaps lacking the heart or the balls.

So, with Telfer out of the picture, who would the starting middle be, and where would it need shoring up. I’ll certainly agree that your middle game was a decent part of the failures to do better than tie Raith.

4 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Interesting statement on another forum from a Falkirk fan who's heavily involved with a local junior club. I presume he'll know a fair amount about teams at that level.... and he commented that Darvel are paying £300-£450 a week for players. 

I can guarantee that those numbers are not the case... 

Proof of being in the know on that is look who first posted about the signing on this thread.