The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I don't.

14 fine, 16 iffy 18 a wasteland.

I get the impression that fans who regularly go to away games are keener on bigger leagues, just more fun travelling to different towns. 

No idea if you do or not, but if someone mainly just goes to home games it wouldn't make so much difference. The Highland league at 17/18 is perfect for me, although a functioning pyramid would make it more interesting.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I get the impression that fans who regularly go to away games are keener on bigger leagues, just more fun travelling to different towns. 

No idea if you do or not, but if someone mainly just goes to home games it wouldn't make so much difference. The Highland league at 17/18 is perfect for me, although a functioning pyramid would make it more interesting.

I don't.

I used to watch the Highland League as a Thistle fan, but was too young to travel for away games.

I would fully agree with the benefits of an increased league for the interest of the travelling diehard, but for a competition it would be disastrous.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I'm not having that. Proof please.

I'd estimate the very worst they'd have got would have been League x 4, LC x 2 (group and later in k.o.) and SC let's go mad and say a third replay. So 4.

That's 10, and I'd not put money on that, rather 7 or 8 at the most.

You could be right ! it was decades ago but the point is still valid. Playing the same team every few weeks is not good marketing.

53 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I don't.

I used to watch the Highland League as a Thistle fan, but was too young to travel for away games.

I would fully agree with the benefits of an increased league for the interest of the travelling diehard, but for a competition it would be disastrous.

Tbh I think I'm starting to be more of a football tourist than a proper fan, started going to the odd Inverness Athletic game last season just for an excuse to go somewhere different. But I don't really get this idea of meaningless matches, they're all important in their own right. Folk even say that the League Cup became meaningless when they took away the European spot for the winner. Not every game has to be a 6 pointer. 

Guest Ecosse83
10 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Is that likely? 

I've not had a chance to read it in detail but it's been mentioned about expanding divisions (if needed) for those that can play and starting back in League 2 if a team mothballs!

League 1 could be quite entertaining next season if say 14 teams from League 1 and 2 want to participate!

Edited by Ecosse83

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The players and fans mostly want bigger leagues, if that means a bit less telly money it wouldn't be the end of the world.

That depends who you ask. Players generally like playing against the best available. Playing regular games against weaker opposition wouldn't suit them. Not that I think players deserve more of a say, you'd just get a huge amount of Neil McCann type pish.

Football here has been on the wrong path for so long it's impossible to reverse. The choice between losing little money or not losing it is always made with only ever the short term considered. Any Chairman you ask won't risk the smallest loss of telly money on the off chance that crowds might increase.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That depends who you ask. Players generally like playing against the best available. Playing regular games against weaker opposition wouldn't suit them. Not that I think players deserve more of a say, you'd just get a huge amount of Neil McCann type pish.

Football here has been on the wrong path for so long it's impossible to reverse. The choice between losing little money or not losing it is always made with only ever the short term considered. Any Chairman you ask won't risk the smallest loss of telly money on the off chance that crowds might increase.

Is pure short termism (if that's a real word) look at the games being played now behind closed doors, if you keep pandering to tv not the fans then that's what we'll end up with. I short term loss to improve the game in the long term should be a good thing! 

2 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Is pure short termism (if that's a real word) look at the games being played now behind closed doors, if you keep pandering to tv not the fans then that's what we'll end up with. I short term loss to improve the game in the long term should be a good thing! 

But clubs won't do it! 

Had to laugh at Neilson leaving Utd for the Jambo's. Dropping a division, with the Tannadice side having just been declared champions.
Do you think he's been told there's no way the Arabs are getting promoted?
#DejaVu #Schadenfreude #LiveInHope

14 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Just saw you have replied to that question.

Up until last year I'd had a season ticket for donkeys. Family demands, lack of people to go with and woeful football meant that in 18/19 I got to maybe 5 or 6 games. Connah's Quay nearly killed me, so last year was only 1 I think.

Edit it was actually 3.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

27 game league ( if we have teams that can actually adhere to the testing etc) interesting to see how the fixture list is constructed.

October start, would it be wishful thinking, for perhaps attendance albeit with masks etc, but can’t see how going for a p..... is going to work ?

Clubs will have to cost their budget on a no crowd scenario. Every club will run with reduced squads - reduced wages or a mix of both.

Could be some interesting signings on the horizon ! 

Had to laugh at Neilson leaving Utd for the Jambo's. Dropping a division, with the Tannadice side having just been declared champions.
Do you think he's been told there's no way the Arabs are getting promoted?
#DejaVu #Schadenfreude #LiveInHope

[emoji23]

The conversation will have gone.

Budge - How much you on?
Neilson - you need to double it.
Budge - done

Cash as always

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

emoji23.png

The conversation will have gone.

Budge - How much you on?
Neilson - you need to double it.
Budge - done

Cash as always

Not that I've any affection for the Jambos, but just for the way Utd treated Falkirk over the Jobby/Coyle/Kerr/Sammy scenario; knowing the way the votes were going to go to keep the Bairns down. It would be great for the same to happen to them for the shits & giggles.

Not that I've any affection for the Jambos, but just for the way Utd treated Falkirk over the Jobby/Coyle/Kerr/Sammy scenario; knowing the way the votes were going to go to keep the Bairns down. It would be great for the same to happen to them for the shits & giggles.

Not exactly the same team in charge at United as then. So what’s the point of holding a grudge?…