The Falkirk FC Thread

Surely whatever we end up with cannot be worse than the utter dross we have been subjected to in recent seasons.

Would you put your life savings on it?

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

We’re in unprecedented times with clubs virtually releasing or emptying players due to the simple fact that we/they don’t know when or if our season will start and in what division. I’m sure M&M ( if they are our managers still) will be tracking players behind the scenes. As posted I don't t think we’re going to see us suddenly with 11 superstars, but hoping that players brought in are better than what been released. Very difficult times and we should know today ( vote no 3 I think) what league we will be in, I suspect that this will accelerate confirmation of STs sales etc, which should allow us to enter into recruitment of players.

Surely we wouldn't be recruiting any players until the furlough scheme ends at least?  What's the point of paying players to sit in the house for 2/3 months, other than to simply secure their services but I don't think we are that flush or desperate.  

We wouldn’t be in the predicament we were in right now if Hartley hadn’t felt the need to clear out a perfectly good squad in the summer of 2018.

If he kept the nucleus of the team that he built and then kept us up with in the 2017/18 season, we’d have absolutely walked to safety in 2018/19. Instead he cleared out a perfectly good squad and replaced them with absolute dross.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:
Are we still ready to play Mr Deans?

Given that any start would have to have a few weeks notice for all clubs to train, and a solid date allows us and everyone else to start signing players, I suspect he would answer yes.

I was being deliberately flippant.

We all know his real agenda for saying what he said. 

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

We wouldn’t be in the predicament we were in right now if Hartley hadn’t felt the need to clear out a perfectly good squad in the summer of 2018.

If he kept the nucleus of the team that he built and then kept us up with in the 2017/18 season, we’d have absolutely walked to safety in 2018/19. Instead he cleared out a perfectly good squad and replaced them with absolute dross.

Ah...the Busted Brentford Model. Signing young unknown (untested) players from England and selling them on for huge profits - seems good in theory but the execution was awful.   

I don't believe it was his idea , he's never done anything like it before or since.

I suspect ideas man Craig Campbell , the architect of so much of where we are now, might be to blame.  

On 13/06/2020 at 20:15, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Same here. We got in late as my dad thought it was a 1530 k.o. so I was first through the turnstiles and only heard the cheers as McGuire scored. This is the first time I've seen it to this day! Remember Irvine's goal clearly but the Fifers goals were forgotten amid a blur of nerves.

Looking at that I can't help but notice about 25 shanked and miscued clearances from our kitten skittish lads. Although one air shot led to the first goal!

I read this and I'm wondering why your dad would think the game was 15:30 kick off? Every Saturday game back then was 15:00, every week season after season, seems strange to me, was your dad not working or running late? If not why did he think half past start? (Apologies for me being a nosey ****)

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Agree re. Hartley. The man was a clown. Still don’t get the esteem he was held in by a lot of our fans.

A wee fucking tramp.

8 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

I read this and I'm wondering why your dad would think the game was 15:30 kick off? Every Saturday game back then was 15:00, every week season after season, seems strange to me, was your dad not working or running late? If not why did he think half past start? (Apologies for me being a nosey ****)

No worries for asking!

Simply - he was not a football kind of guy at all.

My brother and I pestered him to take us, and given we lived in Inverness at the time, we stayed at his parents in Glasgow the night before. He went above and beyond for us, so I'm not going to moan. Especially now I've seen the goal on YouTube!

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Agree re. Hartley. The man was a clown. Still don’t get the esteem he was held in by a lot of our fans.

A wee fucking tramp.

Selective memory here. Hartley did fine once he took over from Houston.  His signings in the January did fine and we stayed up comfortably. At that point most supporters were behind him and I’d say he earned that.

When he rebuilt the squad again that summer and it quickly became obvious that he had assembled the worst Falkirk team in recent memory the fans quickly turned on him and he was universally loathed from that point on.

Just now, Hughsie said:

Selective memory here. Hartley did fine once he took over from Houston.  His signings in the January did fine and we stayed up comfortably. At that point most supporters were behind him and I’d say he earned that.

When he rebuilt the squad again that summer and it quickly became obvious that he had assembled the worst Falkirk team in recent memory the fans quickly turned on him and he was universally loathed from that point on.

Exactly. The very fact he'd done so well the previous 3/4 of a season was the very reason we trusted him and were excited in that fateful summer.

7 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Did fine once he took over ? Was it not 8 games before he managed a win ?

My memory was that his start was shit, he had a decent wee run February and March (That run included 3 games vs Brechin) then at the start of the next season he was hopeless again ?

Selective memory indeed - for those that think the sun shines out his arse.

11 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Did fine once he took over ? Was it not 8 games before he managed a win ?

My memory was that his start was shit, he had a decent wee run February and March (That run included 3 games vs Brechin) then at the start of the next season he was hopeless again ?

Selective memory indeed - for those that think the sun shines out his arse.

Literally nobody thinks the sun shines out his arse. You are making stuff up.

He kept us up, the signings in January did well for us and at the end of that season there was certainly a lot of optimism about the place about Hartley and the potential for a good season in 18/19.

It is absolutely not in dispute that what came after that has been a disaster of biblical proportions.

I’m merely pointing out that rather than him being held in high “esteem” by the fans as you put it, my recollection is that fans had seen enough that first 3/4 of a season to back him going into the next season. I don’t think anyone would say we set the heather alight.

10 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Literally nobody thinks the sun shines out his arse. You are making stuff up.

He kept us up, the signings in January did well for us and at the end of that season there was certainly a lot of optimism about the place about Hartley and the potential for a good season in 18/19.

It is absolutely not in dispute that what came after that has been a disaster of biblical proportions.

I’m merely pointing out that rather than him being held in high “esteem” by the fans as you put it, my recollection is that fans had seen enough that first 3/4 of a season to back him going into the next season. I don’t think anyone would say we set the heather alight.

I’m not arguing about it mate but I disagree. He was loved by the fans, on here in particular he could do no wrong. ‘Juggernaut’ etc springs to mind.

3 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Surely we wouldn't be recruiting any players until the furlough scheme ends at least?  What's the point of paying players to sit in the house for 2/3 months, other than to simply secure their services but I don't think we are that flush or desperate.  

FFC have been prudent and pragmatic.

The 6 signed for next season are a core of squad to build on. Having a further 6 retained on short term contracts awaiting a fixture list is a responsible thing to.

It's a case of waiting until there is a fixture list and take it from there.

What's peoples thoughts on having some part time players for next season ?