The Falkirk FC Thread

Watching the game against Dunfermline on Falkirk TV and have to ask, who pissed on Craig Burley’s cornflakes? Loads of snide comments about us, implying it wasn’t fair we got 7th but Dunfermline got relegated with better players. Then saying Gow would have to prove himself at Rangers playing with better players. A few other digs along the way. 

7 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Watching the game against Dunfermline on Falkirk TV and have to ask, who pissed on Craig Burley’s cornflakes? Loads of snide comments about us, implying it wasn’t fair we got 7th but Dunfermline got relegated with better players. Then saying Gow would have to prove himself at Rangers playing with better players. A few other digs along the way. 

I thought this too, along with how terrible it was going to be that Gretna were coming up and Dunfermline were going down. 

Edited by CC52 FFC

42 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

I thought this too, along with how terrible it was going to be that Gretna were coming up and Dunfermline we’re going down. 

Wonder if he wasnt a big fan of yogis for some reason.  He comes across as a right twat that's for sure.

4 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The policy of reaching for administration as a business tool is not the exception. Rangers, Motherwell, Hearts, Dunfermline, Franchise FC, Dundee FC have all used it to shed debt. I would reckon Falkirk and Raith would be two examples of clubs who have gotten into significant debt, but both paid it back in full......and other than a fully justified moral high ground, there has been precious little in the way of benefits for doing so. Christ, Franchise were allowed a league cup win to stand while they were in administration fielding a team of players they couldn’t afford. What a joke.

I would say the clubs that decide not to honour their debts have done pretty well out of it......Franchise adopted it as a valid business model from the get go, and would most likely have had three admins had they not managed to fleece the lottery winner out of every penny he had.

Clyde are a pretty compelling example of removing from debt via fans support and strict financial controls, and then seemingly reaching competitiveness again. Falkirk definitely get props for the financial work done, and the willingness to make the necessary cuts. Raith, unfortunately, are not out of the woods this time yet. We’re on a good path, but depending on how this season goes, could be set back once again.

All this brings the question forward of if the current points deductions for financial irregularities are appropriate and sufficient? When it’s just 15 points (yea, “just”), is there truly an incentive to avoid Administration? The results are, at most, a one league demotion and, conversely, financial resurrection. Perhaps the real answer is that any team entering Administration should receive an automatic demotion to the lowest league. Certainly, such a rule would cause upper level teams to be much less dismissive of financial concerns, while allowing lower level teams who have lived within their means a chance at moving up. Of course, such a proposal would never pass, which simply highlights the incestuous nature of the upper levels.  

29 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Clyde are a pretty compelling example of removing from debt via fans support and strict financial controls, and then seemingly reaching competitiveness again. Falkirk definitely get props for the financial work done, and the willingness to make the necessary cuts. Raith, unfortunately, are not out of the woods this time yet. We’re on a good path, but depending on how this season goes, could be set back once again.

All this brings the question forward of if the current points deductions for financial irregularities are appropriate and sufficient? When it’s just 15 points (yea, “just”), is there truly an incentive to avoid Administration? The results are, at most, a one league demotion and, conversely, financial resurrection. Perhaps the real answer is that any team entering Administration should receive an automatic demotion to the lowest league. Certainly, such a rule would cause upper level teams to be much less dismissive of financial concerns, while allowing lower level teams who have lived within their means a chance at moving up. Of course, such a proposal would never pass, which simply highlights the incestuous nature of the upper levels.  

I agree and to me if you do it a second time it should be game over and start in the lowland leagues somewhere.

Does any of the money that was put into Livingston come from that ‘fella’ Martindale ??

Martindale was installed by an anonymous “third party” several years ago, and regardless of who the manager might be, Martindale is the permanent fixture.....and yes, he is the guy who served six years for his role in a cocaine ring. Perhaps Franchise FC’s “hard work” would be much more difficult to achieve without his ability to facilitate things in West Lothian.

Sponsorship shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as the games are being shown on some sort of tv/streaming service.  I'm sure just like we are doing at the moment with the reruns people will be happy to sponsor the matchball etc. Obviously hospitality will be a loss unless some sort of restricted access is allowed . Easier to control this than people in the stadium itself. Will depend on when the govt allows restaurants etc to open again I suppose.
Do we make much from hospitality? Thought the stadium company took a big chunk of it

48 minutes ago, Sanity check needed. said:
On 29/05/2020 at 09:36, Shadwell Dog said:
Sponsorship shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as the games are being shown on some sort of tv/streaming service.  I'm sure just like we are doing at the moment with the reruns people will be happy to sponsor the matchball etc. Obviously hospitality will be a loss unless some sort of restricted access is allowed . Easier to control this than people in the stadium itself. Will depend on when the govt allows restaurants etc to open again I suppose.

Do we make much from hospitality? Thought the stadium company took a big chunk of it

I presume we hire the rooms as part of the deal with the stadium company and then get the profits from the hospitaliy sales.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I presume we hire the rooms as part of the deal with the stadium company and then get the profits from the hospitaliy sales.

I spoke to a Director about an unrelated matter last year who told me in conversation that the cIub make so little money from alcohol sales in hospitality that its hardly worth doing it. From memory I think he said that all food/drink sales go via the Stadium Development company and FFC get a minority share of any profits after costs etc etc. I have a vague recollection of FFC receiving five pence profit for every bottle of beer sold in hospitality being quoted.

I spoke to a Director about an unrelated matter last year who told me in conversation that the cIub make so little money from alcohol sales in hospitality that its hardly worth doing it. From memory I think he said that all food/drink sales go via the Stadium Development company and FFC get a minority share of any profits after costs etc etc. I have a vague recollection of FFC receiving five pence profit for every bottle of beer sold in hospitality being quoted.

The more you hear about the stadium deal the worse it gets.

1 minute ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The more you hear about the stadium deal the worse it gets.

I'd like clarification on the whole deal as Gary Dean's seems to think it's a great deal and theres no reason for him to say that unless true. It's not as if he was part of the deal in the first place.

3 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

Do we pay South Stand rent as an annual, lump sum? If so, when is it due?

In previous years accounts it has been shown as a total sum paid for the year. In last years accounts it showed a partial payment with a remainder due after the accounts closed. It was also about £20,000 higher, total, than the previous year and much more of a step up than previous years.

5 hours ago, Brockers61 said:

The question that raises is what is the net profit on sales? If the net profit is £0.20 per, then 25% isn’t terrible, but if it’s £2, then 2.5% is awful.

18 hours ago, Brockers61 said:

yep really is a shitty deal for hospitality, i am sure the same is true for the staff and use of kitchen as there are not in our part of the Stadium, we are paying Stadium Company/Council to use them every 2nd week.

21 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

yep really is a shitty deal for hospitality, i am sure the same is true for the staff and use of kitchen as there are not in our part of the Stadium, we are paying Stadium Company/Council to use them every 2nd week.

It really would be better if ownership/responsibility for the whole stadium site came under single party ownership. Instead of the utter clusterfcuk that exists just now. 

21 minutes ago, kiddy said:

It really would be better if ownership/responsibility for the whole stadium site came under single party ownership. Instead of the utter clusterfcuk that exists just now. 

Just need to keep playing that lottery.