The Falkirk FC Thread

It's a shocking system, imagine us and Thistle were keen to play but 18 other clubs say we can't [emoji85]

Good case for restraint of trade for me

Good luck on that bit the whole "we need to stick together to come to a collective agreement"  wonder who the knives will be out for as you  know a few clubs will be stitched up well and truly especially after the whole voting debacle.

Not sure I'd agree with the government financing football clubs in this way. Think the general public (read: Voters) see football as overpaid prima donnas getting huge amounts of money to kick a ball around so wouldn't take kindly to taxpayers giving them even more. Doesn't matter that wages outside the top league aren't exactly stellar, it's about perception. And how do we avoid giving money to Queens to keep their entire club going whilst Sevco use the money to finance one prima donna has-been?

8 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Not sure I'd agree with the government financing football clubs in this way. Think the general public (read: Voters) see football as overpaid prima donnas getting huge amounts of money to kick a ball around so wouldn't take kindly to taxpayers giving them even more. Doesn't matter that wages outside the top league aren't exactly stellar, it's about perception. And how do we avoid giving money to Queens to keep their entire club going whilst Sevco use the money to finance one prima donna has-been?

If you read the bit on Partick Thistle and players having their salaries cut by 50 per cent the frightening part of that was players losing £700 per week how much were they paying them even for championship that seems a bit on the steep side.

Edited by AL-FFC

33 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

If you read the bit on Partick Thistle and players having their salaries cut by 50 per cent the frightening part of that was players losing £700 per week how much were they paying them even for championship that seems a bit on the steep side.

£700 per week...after a 50% cut...how much were they paying them?..let me think...£700 divided by...no multiplied by...£700...per week?..championship...can I get back to you?

22 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Heard from a Partick ST holder that it’s nothing remotely like the numbers mentioned and most players were on between £600 - £900 which would make sense.

Source was the Daily Record right enough should have known not to believe that rag anyway:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/partick-thistle-forced-massive-wage-22048042

It means several of the Jags squad will now lose several hundred pounds-a-week off their wages.

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

£700 per week...after a 50% cut...how much were they paying them?..let me think...£700 divided by...no multiplied by...£700...per week?..championship...can I get back to you?

Well if we were reportedly paying a max of 900 per week and they are paying 500 more than us its neither wonder they they have financial worries whether that just means us being frugal or Thistle paying over the odds i dont know whatever way you want to look at that.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Could be that the full time model will have to be abandoned for below SPL clubs, and rely on players just wanting to keep playing.

That will be one option of a few scenarios clubs will have on file depending on how bad it gets when the shit hits the fan !

Would not be surprised if Falkirk clear the decks at the end of June. Then we recruit from scratch like any other company restarting a business. Vacate the premises and the directors work from home. Minimal expense and at least have a club to come back to.

Guest Ecosse83
Just now, Bantabairn said:

HSW - I don’t think your far away from the likeliest outcome 

We wouldn't be able to do that in the Championship so it's probably a good thing we are still in League 1

16 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

That will be one option of a few scenarios clubs will have on file depending on how bad it gets when the shit hits the fan !

Would not be surprised if Falkirk clear the decks at the end of June. Then we recruit from scratch like any other company restarting a business. Vacate the premises and the directors work from home. Minimal expense and at least have a club to come back to.

Thing that worries me about Falkirk is the fixed costs as regards the stadium and the Council, no idea how it works.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

There is not the remotest hope in hell of any public funding for Scottish football. And rightly so. One look at the absolute shambles of the past few weeks, a game riven with self-interest, run purely for the benefit of a protectionist cartel at the top and overseen by a third-rate administrator trousering the thick end of 400k will make any request for government help an easy one to move straight to the spam folder and mysteriously lost. Not happening.

42 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thing that worries me about Falkirk is the fixed costs as regards the stadium and the Council, no idea how it works.

Just like any other tenant of premises. Vacate the premises and inform the landlord that due to circumstances beyond our control we are no longer trading and terminating the lease. Just like every other tenant of council premises.

We have no loyalty of goodwill for the Council they are and have never been a friend of FFC. Let them run the community white elephant with no income coming in.

When football starts up again in whatever form it is. You can be sure the Council will be knocking on the clubs door cap in hand to come back. Personally would not be bothered one way or the other.

I will make a prediction.

The Premiership will go behind closed doors next season to protect their precious Sky deal.

The rest of the leagues will be cancelled until season 21/22. Whoever is left will make up probably one or two leagues.

No Scottish Cup apart from last seasons conclusion , and no Betfred Cup.

That will suit Doncaster and the teams in the top league just fine, it's all they care about anyway. 

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

I will make a prediction.

The Premiership will go behind closed doors next season to protect their precious Sky deal.

The rest of the leagues will be cancelled until season 21/22. Whoever is left will make up probably one or two leagues.

No Scottish Cup apart from last seasons conclusion , and no Betfred Cup.

That will suit Doncaster and the teams in the top league just fine, it's all they care about anyway. 

I would guess that 20 of the 30 teams have a reasonable shot of surviving that situation. I also think it’s a fair dinkum guess, although IF the autumn/winter flu season doesn’t go catastrophic with a resurgence, I could see the lower leagues playing a half season (18 games) to make some dosh.

if that happens with normal crowds, the leagues will survive as is, with any casualties replaced from HL/LL. I would expect attendance to be pretty decent in that scenario, and if the players were only contracted Jan-Jun, other costs would be mitigated. If the distancing rules continue, any attempt to play before 21-22 would be a suicide play for a number of teams.

9 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Just like any other tenant of premises. Vacate the premises and inform the landlord that due to circumstances beyond our control we are no longer trading and terminating the lease. 

The premises have been vacated. Apart from one groundsman, the few staff who're not furloughed are working from home.

However, as long as we continue trading - selling strips, paying staff, doing 50/50 online tickets and virtual match sponsorship - then we have to honour contracts with our suppliers.

I don't know anything about our lease deal. However, let's speculate that there is some clause which allows us to sever the contract with a months notice. So we walk away entirely from TFS and take no responsibility for anything.

Then we go back next January and say we want to start again.

The council say that's fine, but we can't have the car parks as they're being turned into paying ones for the Helix. We can't have the offices as they're being rented out and the council can't guarantee we'll get the pitch on every date we want it  because there is interest from elsewhere.

We've given up primary tenancy and can maybe only get 80% of the access that we had before. Oh, and since we want a new agreement there will be new prices. Favourable to the council, naturally.

That's all speculative as obviously no-one know how things would play out.

I like your idea, but I suspect if it were that simple we'd have done it already. And that we'd be risking a lot more than we'd gain just to save six months rental costs.

31 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The premises have been vacated. Apart from one groundsman, the few staff who're not furloughed are working from home.

However, as long as we continue trading - selling strips, paying staff, doing 50/50 online tickets and virtual match sponsorship - then we have to honour contracts with our suppliers.

I don't know anything about our lease deal. However, let's speculate that there is some clause which allows us to sever the contract with a months notice. So we walk away entirely from TFS and take no responsibility for anything.

Then we go back next January and say we want to start again.

The council say that's fine, but we can't have the car parks as they're being turned into paying ones for the Helix. We can't have the offices as they're being rented out and the council can't guarantee we'll get the pitch on every date we want it  because there is interest from elsewhere.

We've given up primary tenancy and can maybe only get 80% of the access that we had before. Oh, and since we want a new agreement there will be new prices. Favourable to the council, naturally.

That's all speculative as obviously no-one know how things would play out.

I like your idea, but I suspect if it were that simple we'd have done it already. And that we'd be risking a lot more than we'd gain just to save six months rental costs.

Exactly. Why would the council come cap in hand to us when they know our only other options are sharing with someone else.Once you start a nomadic existence the end is nigh.Just look at what happened to airdrie and clyde when they started having to share for a number of seasons.  Can you imagine fans trooping up to ice station zebra every other saturday?

Edited by Shadwell Dog