The Falkirk FC Thread

There's quite an interesting situation in The Netherlands right now and the behaviour shown by the Dutch FA is beyond belief. Recently, all of the 34 professional teams were asked about what they wanted to see happen with the 1st and 2nd division.

16 voted for the competition to be ended but to allow the two top teams in the 2nd division to be promoted

9 voted against the expansion of the competition and for relegation/promotion to take place as normal

9 abstained

So with that, the Dutch FA decided to have no relegation, no promotion and to then assign the European places based on their current position. Now three of the clubs have legal challenges in the courts, with already the courts being very critical of the arguments given by the Dutch FA. Their entire strategy is baed on the following:
"It's too difficult and we have Euro 2020, now Euro 2021 to prepare for and 20 teams is too much to handle"

Can't wait to see the outcome of that and the Dutch FA is one sole body, not the four that we have in Scotland

Let's try to lighten things up a wee bit folks.

Assuming that there would be a 'next season' (don't think there will be TBH), which players would you choose to keep? Ignore contracts, whether they're on loan or whatever, just base it on ability and value to the squad. I'd go:

Keep - Mutch, Doyle, Dixon, G Miller, Gomes, Longridge, Connelly & McManus.

Punt - Durnan, Buchanan, McShane, Telfer, Johnstone, McMillan, De Vita & Sammon.

Undecided - Ferrie, Todd, Leitch, Laverty & Hall. I've no idea if we should keep Ferrie and Laverty as I've seen neither play. Re Todd and Leitch, I've seen very little of them but what I have has been quite good so may be tempted to keep. Similar with Hall I suppose.

I'd also happily keep M&M as co managers with big Lee continuing his playing role.

What do you think?

14 minutes ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

There's quite an interesting situation in The Netherlands right now and the behaviour shown by the Dutch FA is beyond belief. Recently, all of the 34 professional teams were asked about what they wanted to see happen with the 1st and 2nd division.

16 voted for the competition to be ended but to allow the two top teams in the 2nd division to be promoted

9 voted against the expansion of the competition and for relegation/promotion to take place as normal

9 abstained

So with that, the Dutch FA decided to have no relegation, no promotion and to then assign the European places based on their current position. Now three of the clubs have legal challenges in the courts, with already the courts being very critical of the arguments given by the Dutch FA. Their entire strategy is baed on the following:
"It's too difficult and we have Euro 2020, now Euro 2021 to prepare for and 20 teams is too much to handle"

Can't wait to see the outcome of that and the Dutch FA is one sole body, not the four that we have in Scotland

?? you mean two?

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Have met Mulroney a few times.

Very sharp cookie. Good business man.

But, yes, you’re probably right in that he’s not to be trusted.

Spends lots of his money at Celtic park allegedly and has a friend high up in that club. Kinda sounds like he could be carrying out his work on behalf of someone!

Nah, that’s just daft.

29 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Assuming that there would be a 'next season' (don't think there will be TBH), which players would you choose to keep? Ignore contracts, whether they're on loan or whatever, just base it on ability and value to the squad. I'd go:

Punt - Durnan, Buchanan, McShane, Telfer, Johnstone, McMillan, De Vita & Sammon.

Undecided - Ferrie, Todd, Leitch, Laverty & Hall. I've no idea if we should keep Ferrie and Laverty as I've seen neither play. Re Todd and Leitch, I've seen very little of them but what I have has been quite good so may be tempted to keep. Similar with Hall I suppose.

I'd also happily keep M&M as co managers with big Lee continuing his playing role.

What do you think?

I’d keep Todd and Hall and maybe Durnan as I thought he improved immeasurably once paired with Hall

58 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

What do you think?

Would keep Todd and Hall, the only positive thats going to come out this pandemic is there are going to be a lot of players freed from their respective clubs so chance of us picking up a decent player or few.

30 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I’d keep Todd and Hall and maybe Durnan as I thought he improved immeasurably once paired with Hall

I wouldnt go that far he still has limited ability for a defender.I get the impression that M and M don't have Buchanan as captain material (in fairness Miller is a much better Captain) or even reliable defender in an ideal world i would look at Hall with someones else only because our 2 permanent options arent the greatest although one at least knows what it means to play for the club.

Dunfermline boy now putting his twopence in. Love his last line 'I have a duty to protect the reputation of Dunfermline Athletic Football Club'. I think that went out the window with the 0p in the pound caper of a few years back.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

What do you think?

Basing your post on a season kicking off end of September. Lock down lifted plus players getting fit and match sharp after 4-5 month not kicking a ball. It will be a hard ask for many.

Mutch, G Miller, Longridge.

There will be a glut of players available hence being ruthless. Would like McManus but unlikely he will be available when we are in a position to sign anybody.

Dixon and Gomes would struggle in pre season training and will be a shadow of the players they were or I would have kept them.

The rest won't miss them !

11 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Basing your post on a season kicking off end of September. Lock down lifted plus players getting fit and match sharp after 4-5 month not kicking a ball. It will be a hard ask for many.

Mutch, G Miller, Longridge.

There will be a glut of players available hence being ruthless. Would like McManus but unlikely he will be available when we are in a position to sign anybody.

Dixon and Gomes would struggle in pre season training and will be a shadow of the players they were or I would have kept them.

The rest won't miss them !

Why would two guys who have always been incredibly fit struggle suddenly this season.

32 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Why would two guys who have always been incredibly fit struggle suddenly this season.

5 months out without day to day conditioning, the fitness soon goes and spinning on a training bike ain't going to stop that happening.  Add to that the game awareness and touch. 

Not having a dig at two pros but age gets you in the end. There is a good chance of them getting injured in training then you have a signed crock on your hands.

Being hardnosed and pragmatic

8 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

5 months out without day to day conditioning, the fitness soon goes and spinning on a training bike ain't going to stop that happening.  Add to that the game awareness and touch. 

Not having a dig at two pros but age gets you in the end. There is a good chance of them getting injured in training then you have a signed crock on your hands.

Being hardnosed and pragmatic

Dixon is only 33. Are you telling me that basically if your over 30 you may as well give up as you'll no handle next season?

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Dixon is only 33. Are you telling me that basically if your over 30 you may as well give up as you'll no handle next season?

Of course not. But 5 month out is a big ask to come back to the same standard in particular when they have not kicked a ball at the best of time. But as you get older its harder, the speed declines and that is a fact.

Being renown for my spectacular lack of pace when I did play football. When somebody you would have in your pocket a year ago knocks the ball past you, gives you a wide berth and still be 2 yards clear by the time you turn round reality hits you are a yard off the pace and a liability.

With a glut of players that will be available there will be better and younger players available that could play a roll in long term squad building.

Managers will be making hard choices and like it or not age will play a part in the decision making.

19 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Of course not. But 5 month out is a big ask to come back to the same standard in particular when they have not kicked a ball at the best of time. But as you get older its harder, the speed declines and that is a fact.

Being renown for my spectacular lack of pace when I did play football. When somebody you would have in your pocket a year ago knocks the ball past you, gives you a wide berth and still be 2 yards clear by the time you turn round reality hits you are a yard off the pace and a liability.

With a glut of players that will be available there will be better and younger players available that could play a roll in long term squad building.

Managers will be making hard choices and like it or not age will play a part in the decision making.

John Baird was playing in Australia for a couple months before joining the Rovers this season, and it took him a few months to get up to speed. A few months makes a big difference at that age. 

18 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

John Baird was playing in Australia for a couple months before joining the Rovers this season, and it took him a few months to get up to speed. A few months makes a big difference at that age. 

Hardly a reason to boot them altogether though.

Aye it is. Over-the-hill geriatrics who have no future. By the time they get up to speed (if they get up to speed) we'll be halfway into the season. We can't afford to continue with the traditional Falkirk bad starts to the season.