The Falkirk FC Thread

34 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Pretty sure i read yesterday Fraser Wishart saying the SPFA are open to playing games behind closed doors but they need to be able to guarantee the health and safety of the players i.e. everyone being involved being screened for Covid. Now if the english leagues from premeiership down to League 2 can complete their fixtures then as GD has mentioned the SPFL has jumped the gun with declaring the leagues over.

Noticed the SPFL holding an inquiry into the voting farce but its an internal one, there is a good bit in the interviews with GD and the Dons chairmen thats a bit of an eye opener the fact Aberdeen were phoned 25 mins before the vote closed they didnt need them to vote they got the answer they wanted.

Thought that was completely ludicrous them telling aberdeen their vote wasnt needed. The spfl board had far too much involvement in this. They put forward the proposal then that should've been it for them. This phoning here there and everywhere to get votes and influence folk should never have been allowed.

14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Thought that was completely ludicrous them telling aberdeen their vote wasnt needed. The spfl board had far too much involvement in this. They put forward the proposal then that should've been it for them. This phoning here there and everywhere to get votes and influence folk should never have been allowed.

He made a valid point its no different to casting your vote in an election and saying going to change your vote, i mean how can you change your vote from no to yes but you cant change a yes vote to a no vote.

wonder what the verdict will be on the SPFL investigation into itself, that one has to be on the same level as our MSG voting for full confidence in themselves at a No confidence motion.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Les Gray poo pooed that.

Theres been coercion on all sides of this including Budge

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

That's exactly what could happen. No decision on the top flight till later.

Am I missing something, did the top tier clubs get the pay out also?

If so then the SPFL have paid out without calling that league , which is what they said their rules did not allow.

The diddy leagues just do not matter.   

9 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Les Gray poo pooed that.

Theres been coercion on all sides of this including Budge

The aberdeen chairman himself  stated that. Plus were dundee not in talks with the spfl for about 4 days at one point that is influencing the vote and shouldnt have happened in my opinion. I've no problem with clubs talking but the spfl should not have been involved after putting the proposal forward.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

9 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Am I missing something, did the top tier clubs get the pay out also?

If so then the SPFL have paid out without calling that league , which is what they said their rules did not allow.

The diddy leagues just do not matter.   

That was part of the problem with the lower leagues they said the payout to clubs was dependant on a Yes vote and the rules didnt allow them to pay prize money until the league decisions were made final, however i think GD had mentioned the clubs could take advantage of a loan from the SPFL until football returned.  GD also made a good point there needs to be short, medium and long term planning all the SPFL have done is a temp job and not thought out the middle to long term and find a way past the issue the game is facing.

16 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Not sure what I’d rather do, write an email to a newspaper, or support a man who raped a woman. 

Be careful what you snitches wish for

When the word furlough first appeared a business lawyer was asked how this would apply to football.

Basically if players are given daily workouts by apps etc dietician and physio advice then they are technically still employed by their club

So whether its Raith Falkirk or Hearts they are breaking  the furlough rule

So John Mcglyn is no different to any other manager in this situation 

14 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Pretty sure i read yesterday Fraser Wishart saying the SPFA are open to playing games behind closed doors but they need to be able to guarantee the health and safety of the players i.e. everyone being involved being screened for Covid. Now if the english leagues from premeiership down to League 2 can complete their fixtures then as GD has mentioned the SPFL has jumped the gun with declaring the leagues over.

Noticed the SPFL holding an inquiry into the voting farce but its an internal one, there is a good bit in the interviews with GD and the Dons chairmen thats a bit of an eye opener the fact Aberdeen were phoned 25 mins before the vote closed they didnt need them to vote they got the answer they wanted.

I read today (BBC sports page, gossip section) that the start of next season looks likely to be played at least in part behind closed doors, this is getting murkier and murkier.

Beginning to think that my suspicions surrounding all of this is beginning to appear more and more likely, league reconstruction is a diversion tactic to allow the SPFL to complete their season behind closed doors!

6 minutes ago, Albertobotswana said:

I read today (BBC sports page, gossip section) that the start of next season looks likely to be played at least in part behind closed doors, this is getting murkier and murkier.

Beginning to think that my suspicions surrounding all of this is beginning to appear more and more likely, league reconstruction is a diversion tactic to allow the SPFL to complete their season behind closed doors!

Think thats been part of the plan all along the thing is the lower leagues could have found a resolution to complete the season whether it be behind closed door or whatever else, i dare say there would be a lot of logistics to be put in place to allow it i.e. testing of players deep clean of stadiums/changing rooms etc.

17 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Grassing folk up to the Sun, that is low. What a bunch of wet wipes you lot are. 

876FE941-8C7D-48EB-87E0-E12F5D4B7D83.png

F6B658F4-E43F-414C-9FD2-4AD81F14D088.png

You do realise that a handful of aresholes in our support posting embarrassing messages on social media does not mean every Falkirk fan is posting embarrassing messages on social media.

What if I said Clyde only employ footballers who are rapists?

Every team has their arsehole fans, no doubt Clyde have them too. But the majority of football fans are decent folk who would (and are) cringing when they see shite like that posted on social media.

I have supported Falkirk for just over 40 years, and it only took a few games for me to realise that we have some right arseholes in our support, but who doesn't?

8 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Think thats been part of the plan all along the thing is the lower leagues could have found a resolution to complete the season whether it be behind closed door or whatever else, i dare say there would be a lot of logistics to be put in place to allow it i.e. testing of players deep clean of stadiums/changing rooms etc.

And we've been playing with social distancing rules from the start of the season!

So, is the old proverb that “a camel is a horse designed by a committee” about to be proven yet again?

It’s laughable that we are calling the process a shambles . We one of the most shambolic glass houses in Scottish football We shouldn’t be throwing stones in any direction .it really is the blind leading the blind.

Have Falkirk fans had there heads in the ground during this whole process? Some utterly basic and simple facts that have been covered since the early days. 

They can't call the Premier league season just now because it has European places, and uefa have already came out and told all the top leagues that have European places up for grabs to not finish there season yet. 

Doing games behind closed doors is an absolute no go, it would financially cripple all clubs. Taking players off furlough to then pay them full wages, while your only income would come via who would pay between 5-10 quid on a stream, teams would need to have the facility where they could stream a game, clubs wouldn't receive any money through hospitality/anyone buying anything at the stadium, it would literally just be those streaming. Clubs couldn't afford it. 

35 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Have Falkirk fans had there heads in the ground during this whole process? Some utterly basic and simple facts that have been covered since the early days. 

They can't call the Premier league season just now because it has European places, and uefa have already came out and told all the top leagues that have European places up for grabs to not finish there season yet. 

Doing games behind closed doors is an absolute no go, it would financially cripple all clubs. Taking players off furlough to then pay them full wages, while your only income would come via who would pay between 5-10 quid on a stream, teams would need to have the facility where they could stream a game, clubs wouldn't receive any money through hospitality/anyone buying anything at the stadium, it would literally just be those streaming. Clubs couldn't afford it. 

The Government furlough scheme will only last a few months , I think I heard until July, as it cannot afford to keep paying everyone's wages. So players can't just sit on furlough pay until a vaccine is available next year.  

Behind closed doors is a nightmare for Scottish football but it's the only way really , the Premiership clubs may well survive with the TV deal if they much reduce their overheads although Sevco could be on a sticky wicket.  

Every other club would be out of business by the autumn unless they can go into deep freeze and all the players/staff go on the dole.  

The only other way is if the Government somehow allow much reduced capacity and social distancing within a stadium - I would think that's very unlikely & very difficult.

36 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

The Government furlough scheme will only last a few months , I think I heard until July, as it cannot afford to keep paying everyone's wages. So players can't just sit on furlough pay until a vaccine is available next year.  

Behind closed doors is a nightmare for Scottish football but it's the only way really , the Premiership clubs may well survive with the TV deal if they much reduce their overheads although Sevco could be on a sticky wicket.  

Every other club would be out of business by the autumn unless they can go into deep freeze and all the players/staff go on the dole.  

The only other way is if the Government somehow allow much reduced capacity and social distancing within a stadium - I would think that's very unlikely & very difficult.

There is an implicit assumption there that they will not allow sports to resume without the vaccine being in place. Mitigation strategies such as those being used in Germany along the lines of aggressive contact tracing, testing and isolation may provide the means of maintaining a relatively normal life for everyone in the short to medium term.

That's the experience of other countries like South Korea or Singapore of containing clusters to prevent them becoming epidemic. 

If it were the case that sport was not coming back until next year, then it'd have to be deep freeze: closed door games with no furlough scheme would put clubs under in a matter of months. 

30 minutes ago, renton said:

There is an implicit assumption there that they will not allow sports to resume without the vaccine being in place. Mitigation strategies such as those being used in Germany along the lines of aggressive contact tracing, testing and isolation may provide the means of maintaining a relatively normal life for everyone in the short to medium term.

That's the experience of other countries like South Korea or Singapore of containing clusters to prevent them becoming epidemic. 

If it were the case that sport was not coming back until next year, then it'd have to be deep freeze: closed door games with no furlough scheme would put clubs under in a matter of months. 

Players, Staff and Fans safety is the criteria that has to drive any restart. Then and only then can you look at players retained , on the market or free agents for your playing squad.

Many professional football players will have left the game due to the 4 - 5month layoff and the insecurity of not knowing when football will start again. They need money coming in and it won't come from football.

If you are coming to the end of your career Gomis for example. Training getting your touch and the pace of the game back will be a torrid experience. For what ? a season of goodness knows what. No chance - call it a day.

After such a lay off many will be a shadow of the player they were and clubs will want to know what they are getting. Then you have the contracts and out of contracts all over the place. Not so much a merry go round but a Marx Brothers farce.

Cannot see a league starting without 2-3 months notice. With that timeline it's September - October kick off at the earliest, and that would be a commercial disaster.

Then there is the fans. Many if not most will not have the disposable income they had pre Covid19. It therefore stands to reason crowds all round will be down. That cascades to reduced sponsorship and advertising.

Its a total mess ! and there are going to be a clubs that sadly won't make it.

I don't apologise for the doom and gloom but we require a reality check on what is unfolding in the next few months.

I just hope FFC in some form is there. Nothing ambitious than that. 

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The aberdeen chairman himself  stated that. Plus were dundee not in talks with the spfl for about 4 days at one point that is influencing the vote and shouldnt have happened in my opinion. I've no problem with clubs talking but the spfl should not have been involved after putting the proposal forward.

I,m not talking about Gray poo pooing the call but the reason behind the call

The aberdeen chairman came across well in his interview under the said call from Doncaster.He stumbled his way through that

As regards Dundee,anyones guess but they,re probably not sure who they have and havent spoken to.

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Players, Staff and Fans safety is the criteria that has to drive any restart. Then and only then can you look at players retained , on the market or free agents for your playing squad.

Many professional football players will have left the game due to the 4 - 5month layoff and the insecurity of not knowing when football will start again. They need money coming in and it won't come from football.

If you are coming to the end of your career Gomis for example. Training getting your touch and the pace of the game back will be a torrid experience. For what ? a season of goodness knows what. No chance - call it a day.

After such a lay off many will be a shadow of the player they were and clubs will want to know what they are getting. Then you have the contracts and out of contracts all over the place. Not so much a merry go round but a Marx Brothers farce.

Cannot see a league starting without 2-3 months notice. With that timeline it's September - October kick off at the earliest, and that would be a commercial disaster.

Then there is the fans. Many if not most will not have the disposable income they had pre Covid19. It therefore stands to reason crowds all round will be down. That cascades to reduced sponsorship and advertising.

Its a total mess ! and there are going to be a clubs that sadly won't make it.

I don't apologise for the doom and gloom but we require a reality check on what is unfolding in the next few months.

I just hope FFC in some form is there. Nothing ambitious than that. 

It's a 4-5 month lay off that includes the off season, so more like a 2-3 month unscheduled lay off. Why would a season kicking off a month late, as per your September prediction (granted that's the earliest you say) be a commercial disaster? 

Assuming staff are furloughed, then the majority of the workforce should still have jobs to go back into. Not to play down the economic struggles here, but unlike an economic downturn caused by an implosion of the financial sector, most pundits seem to think that there would be a quick bounce back here precisely because companies have the various government protections in place (what that means for public spending down the line is another thing).

I dont for a second think that the narrative you've laid out is not plausible. It is. However, a season kicking off a month late than it other wise should've, so long as clubs have the ability to plan for that, shouldn't be something that puts scores of clubs under. 

For me the danger is in a significant lag time between furlough and season starting, and if players come off furlough in June time (for argument sakes, based on Michael Gove's leaked efforts yesterday) then it has to be with the plausible intention of putting the season on before October. Otherwise there would need to be some form of limited extension for some industries like football to make it through.

If the impossible happens, what do you think reconstruction would look like?   Three leagues of 14?   That would mean playing 39 games, with some teams having the advantage of playing some teams twice at home and once away?   Some other way?