The Falkirk FC Thread

I was casting my mind back to previous SPL or variant, changes / decisions that’s kicked us in the nuts.

It started off as  a 12 team league playing  44 games 2 down 2 up fine.

87/88 They decide to change to a 10, promote 1, relegated 3. Yip we get relegated 3rd bottom with Morton and Dunfermline.

88/91 They run with 10 playing 36 games, season 90/91 no relegation St Mirren bottom, we got promotion with Airdrie numbers back to 12

91/94 They run with 12 back to playing 44 games, we got relegated in 92/93 and in 94 they go back to a 10 relegating 3 Dunfermline Raith and St Johnstone 

94/98 They run with 10 playing 36 games but also introduced Play Offs for 2nd bottom v 2nd Top, That is until a mid season reconstruction where they did away with the Play Off and compensated the 2nd Top in Div 1 £250,000, there’s a surprise that was due to us, although £250,000 grand was handy at that time, a Play Off which would have been against Motherwell was lost. 

99/00  Still 10 teams playing 36 games. 1 down 1 up no Play Offs

At end of 99/00 There’s supposed to be a Playoff between bottom in Top League ( Aberdeen ) and 2nd and 3rd in Div 1 ( Dunfermline and Falkirk) as they are going to increase back to 12 for 00/01  Oh sorry lads Brockville isn’t suitable, result Playoff scrubbed,  no relegation for Aberdeen and Dunfermline went up along with the Div 1 champions St Mirren. 

00 / Onwards They run with 12  Playing 38 with a split. They only had one down one up until 2013 when they introduced lop sided Playoffs weighted grossly in favour of the 2nd bottom in Top League.

01/02 Our one stroke of luck, we finished second bottom in Div 1 to Raith and should have been relegated, but Airdrieonians went bust and relegation  was avoided.

02/03 Div 1 Champions, no promotion despite having ground share arrangements in place at Airdrie or Murrayfield. Motherwell again saved from relegation.

03/04 Div 1 Champions Inverness promotion allowed to ground share at Aberdeen.

19/20 The fiasco continues.

4 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Or why not just the read the bit where I said we could've done more to prevent the negative outcomes?

You did ask for anything you missed, and that seemed a good add. Sorry if it hit a nerve.

I have been talking about this for a few weeks, and so it looks to be coming true. The harsh reality is there is no way the government will allow people to sit together in stands or stand on terraces , hugging each other at goals etc without having a vaccine for the virus - which is a year away at best.

Therefore next season when it arrives could well be all be played behind closed doors.

Sadly this can't work for clubs outside the top tier and I honestly don't see how they can survive.  With no season ticket money coming in it's game over. Same goes for gigs & theatre. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-clubs-sent-chilling-financial-21853998

At this rate we probably won’t be able to restart till roughly the same time this season ended.

Sensible decision would be to split the prize money between all the clubs now and see what happens. Too soon to end the league.

Never happen though because there’s too much self interest.

Forfar Athletic       w*nk

Clyde                         w*nk

Peterhead               w*nk

East Fife                   Good Guy

Dumbarton             w*nk

Raith Rovers           w*nk

Stranraer                 Good Guy

Montrose                  w*nk

Airdrie                        w*nk

Edited by Bairn in Exile

3 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Forfar Athletic       w*nk

Clyde                         w*nk

Peterhead               w*nk

East Fife                   Good Guy

Dumbarton             w*nk

Raith Rovers           w*nk

Stranraer                 Good Guy

Montrose                  w*nk

Airdrie                        w*nk

The only ones I would really say stink are the likes of montrose and dumbarton who came out before the vote saying they were going to vote no and then voted yes. Montrose publicly stated “We believe there would be an integrity issue if teams were relegated with a quarter of the season to go.” and then voted for whilst jim duffy said  “I do not think this is the right time to make this decision. We are a month into the shutdown and we can wait another month before deciding this. We can play midweek to catch up" and again Dumbarton backed it.  Obviously no integrity at either club.

12 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

I was casting my mind back to previous SPL or variant, changes / decisions that’s kicked us in the nuts.

It started off as  a 12 team league playing  44 games 2 down 2 up fine.

87/88 They decide to change to a 10, promote 1, relegated 3. Yip we get relegated 3rd bottom with Morton and Dunfermline.

88/91 They run with 10 playing 36 games, season 90/91 no relegation St Mirren bottom, we got promotion with Airdrie numbers back to 12

91/94 They run with 12 back to playing 44 games, we got relegated in 92/93 and in 94 they go back to a 10 relegating 3 Dunfermline Raith and St Johnstone 

94/98 They run with 10 playing 36 games but also introduced Play Offs for 2nd bottom v 2nd Top, That is until a mid season reconstruction where they did away with the Play Off and compensated the 2nd Top in Div 1 £250,000, there’s a surprise that was due to us, although £250,000 grand was handy at that time, a Play Off which would have been against Motherwell was lost. 

99/00  Still 10 teams playing 36 games. 1 down 1 up no Play Offs

At end of 99/00 There’s supposed to be a Playoff between bottom in Top League ( Aberdeen ) and 2nd and 3rd in Div 1 ( Dunfermline and Falkirk) as they are going to increase back to 12 for 00/01  Oh sorry lads Brockville isn’t suitable, result Playoff scrubbed,  no relegation for Aberdeen and Dunfermline went up along with the Div 1 champions St Mirren. 

00 / Onwards They run with 12  Playing 38 with a split. They only had one down one up until 2013 when they introduced lop sided Playoffs weighted grossly in favour of the 2nd bottom in Top League.

01/02 Our one stroke of luck, we finished second bottom in Div 1 to Raith and should have been relegated, but Airdrieonians went bust and relegation  was avoided.

02/03 Div 1 Champions, no promotion despite having ground share arrangements in place at Airdrie or Murrayfield. Motherwell again saved from relegation.

03/04 Div 1 Champions Inverness promotion allowed to ground share at Aberdeen.

19/20 The fiasco continues.

Along with Inverness you can mention Gretna - they had no intention of upgrading but  were backslapped into the SPL like long lost pals

A team who eventually had to use First Division Livingston's ground to play fixtures (primacy of tenure rule anybody?)

Edited by Ned Nederlander

2 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Along with Inverness you can mention Gretna - they had no intention of upgrading but  were backslapped into the SPL like long lost pals

A team who eventually had to use First Division Livingston's ground to play fixtures (primacy of tenure rule anybody?)

Was it not motherwell they used? Or did they use both. Only memory I have of gretna was us pumping them 4 0 on the opening day of the season at a sunny fir park. Great day that.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Was it not motherwell they used? Or did they use both. Only memory I have of gretna was us pumping them 4 0 on the opening day of the season at a sunny fir park. Great day that.

Yeah I remember that Fir Park game well, Tim Krul in goal for us.

Can't remember them playing at Livingston at all either.

14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

12 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Yeah I remember that Fir Park game well, Tim Krul in goal for us.

Can't remember them playing at Livingston at all either.

They had to use Almondvale after Fir Park (surprisingly) became unplayable.

The opening game was a 4-0 win for us at Motherwell, Latapy and Pedro were outstanding. Later in the season they beat us at Motherwell 2-0 Ducher scored for them, they only won about 4 games.  Can’t mind the home games though.

1 minute ago, Bantabairn said:

Interesting and sobering call with my son in law last night. He's friendly with a player from a championship let’s just say that under this ludicrous SPFL forced vote and probably more to loose than many players. This players income is for playing full time football and has no other source of income. His club have told him that should the vote be passed the Club will suffer severe cutbacks, and probably the squad will be reduced dramatically. Many young players will simply be told to find other employment. The players point is that many of the lower league players are part time with full time jobs for their normal life, and that many part time players are picking up surprising high wages for part time football. His view is that if these clubs were full time this vote would have been blown away. Had me thinking that should Scottish football be looking at complete change of league format that reduces the risk of unemployment within our full time football players.....

Why if its passed is he fecked?

Guest Ecosse83
10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No surprises there that's what happens at every team that gets relegated.

Yes but should they be relegated? They are 2 points behind 9th with a game in hand. They shouldn't be relegated on those terms.