The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Ned Nederlander said:

F'ck me - I'm not denying that on each occasion we could have done more to prevent the negative outcomes but we've had some mad league defining moments,

Finishing 3rd bottom of the top flight the only time the bottom 3 were relegated, having a play-off place removed mid-season, Airdrie ground share refusal, Murrayfield ground share refusal, Airdrie going tits up, global fucking pandemic!

Have I forgotten any?

Being lumbered with george craig?

By the way, this thread is the first time I've ever heard that the promotion play-off was cancelled AFTER the 1997/98 season had started. I'm happy to believe that it happened, because there was some dodgy stuff going on at the time, but does anyone have a source for it?

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

By the way, this thread is the first time I've ever heard that the promotion play-off was cancelled AFTER the 1997/98 season had started. I'm happy to believe that it happened, because there was some dodgy stuff going on at the time, but does anyone have a source for it?

What source do you need ? It happened. In the previous three seasons there was a play-off between 2nd bottom in the Premier and 2nd top in the First Division. During 97/98, the SPL,aka Greed Is Good League, was created by the premier league clubs breaking away from the league, the play-off was scrapped and £250k given to the second placed team as compensation. That season brought to the fore clowns like Lex Gold and the odious Roger Mitchell and fostered the rampant closed shop mentality and resistance to change we are seeing played out to this very day. It dates back to that season and that decision.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

taken from our wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkirk_F.C.

The Scottish Premier League (SPL) was founded in 1998 as the new top flight of Scottish football. The new league and its rules denied Falkirk the chance to be promoted into it on three occasions as a consequence of its formation. When the SPL was created from the old Premier Division, a play-off match that was held between the team ranked ninth in the Premier Division and the team ranked second in the First Division was abolished during the 1997–98 season. Falkirk, ranked second in the First Division, was thus denied a play-off with Motherwell.

To be clear, I know that there was a play-off in the three previous seasons and that there wasn't one in 1997/98 due to the SPL breakaway.

I also know that the SPL only had a single promotion spot for the next 15 years, and that SFL remained a closed shop for its entire existence.

What I am specifically looking for (not because I don't believe it happened, but because I want to read more about it) is some source which shows that this change happened DURING the 1997/98 season and not before it. Wikipedia isn't good enough because anyone can edit that.

To be clear, I know that there was a play-off in the three previous seasons and that there wasn't one in 1997/98 due to the SPL breakaway.

I also know that the SPL only had a single promotion spot for the next 15 years, and that SFL remained a closed shop for its entire existence.

What I am specifically looking for (not because I don't believe it happened, but because I want to read more about it) is some source which shows that this change happened DURING the 1997/98 season and not before it. Wikipedia isn't good enough because anyone can edit that.

Pretty certain this decision was made into the season. I can recollect at the time feeling so angry for that reason....

47 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You would be struggling to find anything online for it as bare in mind this or was the very early days of the internet and websites were few and far between back then.

8 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

Forfar chairman confirming he wants the Navy Blue Pound next year #somoney

And Thistles...he wont be the only one who voted with that thinking..Easy way to make sure he doesn't get the money

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Pretty much the same age and experiences as me then, but it's 10 million times better than the alternative.

You say that as though there’s nothing else to do. I’ve enjoyed football for nearly 30 years but there is other stuff to do in your spare time. If what you say did happen and football here sunk in a big way I for one wouldn’t be scrambling around for my football fix from another league. Lots of other fun stuff to do. 

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
17 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:
We haven’t got enough good luck for Doncaster to be suspended it should have been done years ago.

By suspended do you mean trebuchet'd right into the North Sea?

That all depends on them wheeling him down to the TFS I dare say there would be no shortage of volunteers to load up the trebuchet.

51 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

You say that as though there’s nothing else to do. I’ve enjoyed football for nearly 30 years but there is other stuff to do in your spare time. If what you say did happen and football here sunk in a big way I for one wouldn’t be scrambling around for my football fix from another league. Lots of other fun stuff to do. 

Yes, I fully agree. I was only looking at the football side of things. 

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So dundee are being allowed basically to try and leverage a deal that suits them better but none of the other no voters are. How the feck can that go ahead?

Skyline Drifter
  • The Numbers Man
  •  
  • Skyline Drifter
  • Platinum Members
  • 9,513 posts
  • My Team : Queen of the South
   4 hours ago,  johnnydun said: 

Nobody, but the general consensus is that smaller teams will go out of business if they don't receive this cash now, just seems such a small amount that they could survive without?

4 hours ago,  nofixedability said: 

Think it is more about clarity of what league they will be in and how to deal with all the players whose contracts run out in June. Though I dare say there are clubs who absolutely will need their final pay out, most Championship ones I would have thought though.

Also, Forfar are 9th. The League have largely already paid out the money that clubs in each division get for bottom spot (or 6th in the Premiership if they were guaranteed to be in the top 6). I'm not sure Forfar's remaining balance would be as little as £3,700 (I'd need to look) but as the team 2nd bottom of the 2nd bottom level they wouldn't be due massive amounts of prize money. That won't be the case for everyone else. Teams near the top of their divisions will be due a lot more if the final positions were declared (and presuming the SPFL actually have it, the tv companies have paid it and haven't intimated they want it back if the League finishes early).

According to this much of the money HAS been paid out, so if your gonna finish near bottom of Div 1 or Div2 there hardly going to be anything coming to those clubs anyway.  They must be total basket cases, and it’s debatable if they should even be in senior football