The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I rate Houston as a manager because of the overall package he delivered for us. Signings is only one aspect and in that area he signed better players overall than we’ve had ever since.
I’m just bored of the same drivel slating one of the best five managers we’ve had in the last 40 years....

The best players he had were all there when he arrived. Vaulks, Alston, leahy, grant and loy the first time.  Kerr, baird , miller were decent but not many more were really superb signings. Our signings since apart from Hartley's first window have been just as bad I'll agree. Houston was an excellent tactician and motivator. Just his signings that let him down.

41 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Sorry Shadwell, but what a load of shite.
Balatoni and McGhee were not dreadful signings. They would both fare very well against the current shite we have.
Harris was a disappointment but definitely had the potential. Sometimes these things just don’t work out.
As for Loy, virtually no one thought that was a dreadful signing at the time.
The issue I have when you slate signings, you do it because they don’t work out, not because they have the stench of awful at the time we sign them.
Anyone can slate anything with hindsight you know.....

Talking shite and being negative ??? Shodwell ?? Never !!

The best players he had were all there when he arrived. Vaulks, Alston, leahy, grant and loy the first time.  Kerr, baird , miller were decent but not many more were really superb signings. Our signings since apart from Hartley's first window have been just as bad I'll agree. Houston was an excellent tactician and motivator. Just his signings that let him down.

No they didn’t.

12 hours ago, JinkyBairn said:

When Houston got the job I was delighted. He desperately wanted to be the man who took us back to where we all wanted to be, gutting that it never happened in the end.

It was always gonna end badly, very few managers leave as kings.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

His failure to address the right hand side of the team was seethe inducing. Gasparotto played at Right Back in that Livingston game did he not?

The St Mirren game... Can remember the buzz going into the stadium that day. Cracking day, big crowd, early goal then a total arse collapse and a ridiculous failure of discipline from Muirhead.... Really set the tone tbh. 

The right back hadn't been addressed since Duffy but Houston's last season the real issue was left back.

Gallacher was either not ready or not good enough with the latter showing week in week out by losing goal(s) down the left hand side. The Loy scenario had a huge factor, putting all your eggs into one basket to deliver and it didn't probably also had a factor in the dressing room.

I am of the opinion that we should've got Loy the January before on loan when St Mirren got him, we were struggling to score and depending on Lee Miller with Baird and McHugh struggling to hit a barn door. 

Still great times under Houston but as said above post, it was always gonna end badly

29 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

No they didn’t.

They did and that's why he lost his job. If loy and harris had been brilliant we wouldnt have been bottom of the league and heading for relegation. If rankin, kidd  etc hadn't been shit we would have more than likely have beaten united in the playoffs the year before and who knows after that. His signings were poor apart from a small few.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

The thing that led to Houstons demise was IF the rumours were true and certain individuals had downed tools on him then there is only one way that was going to end and no amount of motivational speakers or anything is going to change that until the ones that downed tools left when your start of the season and the window is closed then not a great deal you can do.

I wouldnt rate McGhee and Balatoni as bad signings but then you have to look at things when you look at where we ended up as Aero being classed as being a solid defender when he was anything but and he was a stand out in a very poor Falkirk team. We signed Sheps on a 2 yr deal (wtf were we thinking) then Alex harris admittingly Harris looked good in the pre season game against Edinburgh City (so did Sheps mind you) but there it stopped.

I get a very uneasy feeling that Edibairn is going to rear his head again at the mention of those 2 world class players 🤭

Edited by AL-FFC

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He should have called it a day after the united game but like many a manager he hung on too long.Managers live and die on their recruitment and his simply wasnt good enough. All signings have risk some more than others but if both your major signings one season turn out to be complete tosh then you are going to lose your job I'm afraid whether the fans though one would be a good signing or not.  That season wasnt a one off re dreadful signings as my previous list shows. For every decent one there was far more complete dross signed  in his time as manager unfortunately ( a trend that unfortunately continues to haunt the club right up to January past).  At the end of the day St Mirren with a smaller budget than us cruised the league whilst Houston had us bottom until he got punted.  That shouldn't over shadow the previous couple of seasons that were excellent nor should they cloud our judgement on whether it was right to give him the elbow when we did.

And what about Loy...

6 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Without dwelling on what’s going to be happen with the season end and this horrendous virus, can anyone accurately confirm who is still  in contract after 31st May, ( or thereabouts) thanks 

Since the Bairns are busy arguing about Houston, from a discussion earlier, plus some changes:

Mutch, Buchanan, Durnan, Dixon,  Doyle,  Gomis,  Telfer,  Todd, Laverty,  Connolly.

Should be pretty close, and all but Mutch as signed through 2021, Mutch is through 2022.

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Since the Bairns are busy arguing about Houston, from a discussion earlier, plus some changes:

Mutch, Buchanan, Durnan, Dixon,  Doyle,  Gomis,  Telfer,  Todd, Laverty,  Connolly.

Should be pretty close, and all but Mutch as signed through 2021, Mutch is through 2022.

Leitch too, and Sammon presumably.