The Falkirk FC Thread

Never watched the re-run of the hibs game today, but appreciate the clubs effort in terms of putting it on. 

What I will say is that season is without a doubt the most enjoyable season I’ve had supporting the club since starting in 2002.

A major factor in that was Houston. Watched back his post match interview there and felt ashamed for shouting for him to go. Without a doubt my favourite Bairns manager of all time. Folk can say it was right for him to go, but in hindsight it genuinely wasn’t.

That team had everything you’d want as a Bairns fan. Mix of nostalgia with Miller and Kerr, experienced pros like Bairdy and some of our own like Sibbs.

When Houston got the job I was delighted. He desperately wanted to be the man who took us back to where we all wanted to be, gutting that it never happened in the end.

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Rod Petrie Gary Tank Commander Alan Stubbs Begbie fae Trainspotting can you hear me... your boys took a hell of a beating. emoji1.pngclassic stuff

Tbf this was cringe from the FTV boiz. Especially in hindsight considering we got shagged in the final.

9 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

The last word I would ever use to describe that team is "frustrating". You always got 100% effort, well drilled and they went out to win games until the end of the final whistle. It was one of the most likeable and endearing Falkirk teams of my 24 years of going to games.

This.

12 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Would like to see a game that is a bit less “obvious” to be chosen.

Farid or Lyle Taylor season for example. A look at some SPL games with wee Russell too.

I don't think Falkirk TV was around when Latapy was there unfortunately. Some of the games were on ESPN or Sky but I doubt they'd have the rights. 

They said next week it will be a "classic win against Rangers" so I'd guess it'll either be another Bob McHugh special or the 3-2 with Farid/Millar getting the goals.

14 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Kerr, Baird, Miller and McHugh were not too shabby. Add Rogers, Muirhead, McCracken and Taiwo it is a myth he never made good signings.

Christ theres suddenly a lot of houstie tinted spectacles going about here. Great 2 league seasons but we would have been in league one a year early if he had stayed. Hung on a season too long.Signings killed him as I said.Kerr and baird were decent. Miller was a good backup.striker. mchugh had some great moments but 9 goals in 55 apps is mince for a striker. Muirhead was murder apart from his penalties. Let's not forget his cockups in the playoff second leg v united that cost us big time.   A couple of decent signings are swamped by the complete dross he brought in. Tudur jones, cooper, mccann, sinnamon,  smith, boulding, morgan, Harris, aird, gasparotto, McKee , Rankin,  loy (the second coming)and that's only the really shit ones. His recruitment was dire. He had to get punted just a shame we've continued to make a complete horlicks of replacing him.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Christ theres suddenly a lot of houstie tinted spectacles going about here. Great 2 league seasons but we would have been in league one a year early if he had stayed. Hung on a season too long.Signings killed him as I said.Kerr and baird were decent. Miller was a good backup.striker. mchugh had some great moments but 9 goals in 55 apps is mince for a striker. Muirhead was murder apart from his penalties. Let's not forget his cockups in the playoff second leg v united that cost us big time.   A couple of decent signings are swamped by the complete dross he brought in. Tudur jones, cooper, mccann, sinnamon,  smith, boulding, morgan, Harris, aird, gasparotto, McKee , Rankin,  loy (the second coming)and that's only the really shit ones. His recruitment was dire. He had to get punted just a shame we've continued to make a complete horlicks of replacing him.
You can enjoy what Houston did and also acknowledge it was time for him to go.

I would take issue with the Loy statement tho. We were all buzzing for that one.

3 major results had to be the end for Peter Houston

1. The second leg of the playoff, where we never got started, and couldn’t handle Meggines who hadn’t played in the first leg where we were dead lucky to win.

2. The opening game at St Mirren the next season, we took the lead, and if we’d been 4-0 up after 20 minutes you couldn’t have argued, but for woeful finishing from Austin, lost an equaliser first time they went up the park, Thomson gifted St Mirren the lead then we capitulated.

3. The night we lost a League Cup or League match at home to Livingston and Houston referred to them as a bunch of journeymen, when we had been played off the park, he was questioning the intelligence of the support, by then he was in denial, and wouldn’t admit to what he was watching. Livingston went on to win promotion and have hung around quite comfortably for two years now

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You can enjoy what Houston did and also acknowledge it was time for him to go.

I would take issue with the Loy statement tho. We were all buzzing for that one.

Exactly but some on here still seem to think he shouldn't have gone. As I said he was great with other people's signings but his own were murder . Whether we were buzzing or not means not a jot when the result is a player whose completely shot.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Exactly but some on here still seem to think he shouldn't have gone. As I said he was great with other people's signings but his own were murder . Whether we were buzzing or not means not a jot when the result is a player whose completely shot.

Yeah, to an extent. But some signings were predictably shite. No one seen the Loy thing coming at all. 

As I said, I love Housty but he had to go. We were utterly chronic at the start of that season and it wasnt a form thing. The whole squad was broken. Speculate on the reasons all we want, but Houston (and any othe manager in this scenario) had to be the guy to fall on his sword. That's football. 

1 minute ago, NUMBER 7 said:

1. The second leg of the playoff, where we never got started, and couldn’t handle Meggines who hadn’t played in the first leg where we were dead lucky to win.

2. The opening game at St Mirren the next season, we took the lead, and if we’d been 4-0 up after 20 minutes you couldn’t have argued, but for woeful finishing from Austin, lost an equaliser first time they went up the park, Thomson gifted St Mirren the lead then we capitulated.

3. The night we lost a League Cup or League match at home to Livingston and Houston referred to them as a bunch of journeymen, when we had been played off the park, he was questioning the intelligence of the support, by then he was in denial, and wouldn’t admit to what he was watching. Livingston went on to win promotion and have hung around quite comfortably for two years now

It was his comments that we needed to bring in more physical players after the killie defeat when we were bullied all over the park only for him to sign the likes of Alex Harris that told me his time was more than up. 

I don't think Falkirk TV was around when Latapy was there unfortunately. Some of the games were on ESPN or Sky but I doubt they'd have the rights. 
They said next week it will be a "classic win against Rangers" so I'd guess it'll either be another Bob McHugh special or the 3-2 with Farid/Millar getting the goals.
The current site has highlights back to 2010, but I think that's only from when they moved to the new website and YouTube. They used to have a subscription service for £4.99 a month which included full re-runs of particularly good games. I had a subscription to it back in my student days, so 2007 and earlier.

Not sure they did much live streaming in those days, but my knowledge of free proxies is such that they must have done sometimes.

53 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It’s not a lot of ‘Houstie tinted specs’ as you put it.

A lot of fans on here have admiration and respect because of the commitment he gave us both as a player and a manager.

Don’t slate fans for having respect for him. If you choose to decide to run him into the ground a while after he left, which is a strange thing to do, then feel free but don’t expect to many of us to join in.

4 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s not a lot of ‘Houstie tinted specs’ as you put it.

A lot of fans on here have admiration and respect because of the commitment he gave us both as a player and a manager.

Don’t slate fans for having respect for him. If you choose to decide to run him into the ground a while after he left, which is a strange thing to do, then feel free but don’t expect to many of us to join in.

So do I but the decision to punt him was right . People being embarrassed that they called for him to go  and in hindsight it was the wrong move are just being silly. At the time it was 100 percent the right call. Enjoy the memories of that second season yes but dont let them cloud your judgement of his final few months.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So do I but the decision to punt him was right . People being embarrassed that they called for him to go is just being silly. At the time it was 100 percent the right call.

It’s called ‘reflecting’.

Houston was never going to cut it for you.

If Falkirk won the Europa League you’d moan that it didn’t have the same quality as it used to have because of the Champions League.

33 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

His failure to address the right hand side of the team was seethe inducing. Gasparotto played at Right Back in that Livingston game did he not?

The St Mirren game... Can remember the buzz going into the stadium that day. Cracking day, big crowd, early goal then a total arse collapse and a ridiculous failure of discipline from Muirhead.... Really set the tone tbh. 

That St Mirren game is where the collapse to where we are now began.

We had been playing great stuff in the pre season and for the first 25 minutes or so looked like we could take half a dozen off St Mirren.

As soon as they equalised the confidence completely drained from the team, in the end it was a quite dramatic capitulation.

The beginning of the end for Houston and the beginning of a truly miserable few years for all of us.