The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You tend to get a lot of SNP conspiracy theorists coming out with such rubbish.

Funnily enough I noticed that the Newmarket Bar and the pub at the west end of the High Street were both busy last night.

Being a Falkirk supporter has never required that you be of a certain religious or political persuasion. Over the decades it has given me much pride when asked.What team do you support ? and you answer Falkirk. Whoever asked the question has had nowhere to go with it and long may it continue.

This is a football forum - lets keep it that way.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

A decent gap it's only 4 points between 2nd and 3rd in the champ and league one. If you're airdrie or dundee it certainly impacts pretty negatively on them.

No matter how this is resolved, there will be those with grounds for complaint. Montrose had been on an absolute tear before the shutdown and could argue that both Falkirk and Raith were wobbling...Partick and Hearts argue about games played, etc, etc.

IMHO, the SPFL will decide on the simplest possible solution that avoids riots. That will likely include promoting the top two and refraining from relegation. I think that’s wrong, because the next set of relegations will be, our of necessity, quite painful with either three automatic and a playoff for one more, all in one year or two auto for two years, again with a playoff.

I think the decision the SPFL makes should be also focused on a likely shortened 2020-2021 season and making that work with the decision on how to wrap up this season.

for the first time in our history scottish exams have been cancelled. if that is a precedent then I just cant see these remaining games being played in any format. if they can cancel a whole years exams in all schools then it paves the way for football not to be finished either

if so, it'll be a tough decision to make on how its resolved and there will be many cheesed off. the exams example is no one should be disadvantaged and evidence on past performance will be used to help. I hope this is how it might play out in football in Scotland. no relegation and top 2 go up as Falkirk and raith to close to call. then following year we have choice of retaining larger league or 4 down. at least it will be known by all at start of season. we shut down now so everyone knows where they are. looks like financially most clubs have found a solution financially ie raith partick early payments from spfl and whatever still to come

8 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Mcglynn now suggesting that they should just have promotion and no relegation.  

I'm afraid that I would go along with this. We have been kicked in the chuckies and denied promotion 3 times when our performances and league position obviously deserved it, so as a way of balancing things out I'd gladly take promotion this year under the above criteria, even although our league performances haven't been great. Not fair to Montrose, Airdrie and East Fife perhaps but who said life was fair?

Edited by Bairn in Exile

2 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

for the first time in our history scottish exams have been cancelled. if that is a precedent then I just cant see these remaining games being played in any format. if they can cancel a whole years exams in all schools then it paves the way for football not to be finished either

if so, it'll be a tough decision to make on how its resolved and there will be many cheesed off. the exams example is no one should be disadvantaged and evidence on past performance will be used to help. I hope this is how it might play out in football in Scotland. no relegation and top 2 go up as Falkirk and raith to close to call. then following year we have choice of retaining larger league or 4 down. at least it will be known by all at start of season. we shut down now so everyone knows where they are. looks like financially most clubs have found a solution financially ie raith partick early payments from spfl and whatever still to come

Agree top two up no relegation top of highland and lowland invited into league , premier league a 14 team league, easy as that 

8 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I'm afraid that I would go along with this. We have been kicked in the chuckies and denied promotion 3 times when our performances obviously deserved it, so as a way of balancing things out I'd gladly take promotion this year under the above criteria. Not fair to Montrose, Airdrie and East Fife perhaps but who said life was fair?

In what three separate seasons have we been "denied promotion when our performances obviously deserved it"?

Agree top two up no relegation top of highland and lowland invited into league , premier league a 14 team league, easy as that 
harsh on Montrose east fife and airdrie but agree. knowing how many times we've been shafted with stadium criteria in the past itll be just one up as Celtic Dundee United and cove rangers all well clear so wed be the one and only sacrificial lamb that was a very close second.

3 minutes ago, AGPar said:

In what three separate seasons have we been "denied promotion when our performances obviously deserved it"?

A bit long winded but here you are:

The Scottish Premier League (SPL) was founded in 1998 as the new top flight of Scottish football. The new league and its rules denied Falkirk the chance to be promoted into it on three occasions as a consequence of its formation. When the SPL was created from the old Premier Division, a play-off match that was held between the team ranked ninth in the Premier Division and the team ranked second in the First Division was abolished during the 1997–98 season. Falkirk, ranked second in the First Division, was thus denied a play-off with Motherwell. The SPL's criterion that clubs required a 10,000 capacity all-seater stadium in order to compete in the new league, which Falkirk's Brockville Park did not comply with, was introduced. When the SPL was due to expand to 12 teams at the end of the 1999–2000 season, Aberdeen, which finished bottom of the SPL, would have competed in a three-way play-off against the teams that finished second and third in the First Division, and two of these three clubs would gain SPL status for the next season. Brockville Park was still below the SPL criterion, and Falkirk applied to ground-share Murrayfield Stadium in Edinburgh, but the proposal was rejected. The play-off was abandoned, Dunfermline Athletic was automatically promoted and Aberdeen retained its status in the top flight.

220px-Falkirk_FC_League_Performance.svg.

Historic chart of table positions of Falkirk in the League.

Following four successive top three finishes in the First Division since 1997–98, the club's fortunes changed dramatically and it finished the season in ninth position, which would have qualified the club to be relegated to the third tier. However, it was spared relegation by the liquidation of fellow First Division club Airdrieonians on the last day of the season.[21] The following season, Falkirk was again denied promotion to the SPL despite finishing top of the First Division. The club submitted another application to ground-share, this time at New Broomfield – an SPL compliant stadium and the home of Airdrie United – but was rejected in a vote by SPL chairmen. Motherwell was thus spared relegation from the First Division.[22] In order to meet the criterion, Falkirk started building a new stadium and left Brockville Park

31 minutes ago, TxRover said:

No matter how this is resolved, there will be those with grounds for complaint. Montrose had been on an absolute tear before the shutdown and could argue that both Falkirk and Raith were wobbling

eh?

22/2 Falkirk 1 - 0 Montrose

29/2 Montrose 1-0 Airdrie

3/3 Clyde 2-1 Montrose

7/3 Montrose 4-1 Stranraer

10/3 Stranraer 0-1 Montrose

Hardly an "absolute tear". Two of their three wins came against Stranraer.

3 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

wasnt there something about under soil heating too at some point? changed again against us timing wise as Motherwell never had it?

Yes the undersoil heating was an issue that we had to have i think we were looking at the bubble example (Dundee had it at the time i am sure) which pumped hot air under some sort of tarpaulin or some such material to defrost the pitch but it was deemed didnt meet the criteria required for undersoil heating, pretty sure Fir Park didnt get undersoil heating till the following season.

6 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

So anyone who comes out with rubbish must be an SNP supporter then?

I genuinely don't think there is a single Falkirk poster on here who is more out of touch with the majority viewpoint - on literally any subject - than you are.

You may want to consider self-isolating from the internet.

Blaming the SNP for this pish is of course out of order  - just as much drivel coming from our pals down south.

That piss-stained fool Richard Lyle isn't exactly helping matters with this shot though.. 

'Richard Lyle raised unconfirmed reports the army's been deployed in Strathclyde Park during FMQs. I checked with MoD & reports are not true, but thousands of people will have seen him raise it as an MSP. Excellent eg of why politicians urgently need trained in media literacy'

A bit off topic, but a couple of nights ago, I downloaded a documentary on the BBC iPlayer. It’s called The Flu That Killed 50 Million”.

It was made in 2018, and at the start, states that the learnings should help everyone if and when another pandemic strikes. It really is a pretty incredible documentary. Seriously worthy of an hour of everyone’s time.

just watched it. very interesting especially the last 10 mins

45 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Blaming the SNP for this pish is of course out of order  - just as much drivel coming from our pals down south.

That piss-stained fool Richard Lyle isn't exactly helping matters with this shot though.. 

'Richard Lyle raised unconfirmed reports the army's been deployed in Strathclyde Park during FMQs. I checked with MoD & reports are not true, but thousands of people will have seen him raise it as an MSP. Excellent eg of why politicians urgently need trained in media literacy'

Thank you.

I rest my case.

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

Being a person of equals, I would have argued the case, now and after the amount of times we’ve been kicked up and down, if we go up I,ll be the first one to take the decision, and we move on.

Well I totally disagree!!

We should set up a fighting fund to support the club and possibly suing everybody and anyone we can . We have been fucked over so many times, even the fine for mckinnon was a joke! 

Screw the SFA, Screw every club above us -  I'd take Falkirk on top of a pile of ashes rather than kowtow to the SPFL and SFA.