The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Falkirk once had a reputation for giving young talent a second chance. Would Lyle Taylor and Will Vaulks consider Falkirk now when they were looking for a club ? Not a chance. Over a decade of dedication and hard work building an enviable  name for the club destroyed. If we decide to go that way again it will take the same time to re establish that reputation.

Journeyman and loan signings as you said are where we are shopping. End of season cast offs and second quality discounted products being moved on. 

Raith have shown that you can still pick up decent young talent in loan or freed by the bigger clubs. I'd take hendry or Armstrong over some of our dross any day and they picked up Gullan from hibs for the first half of the season who was excellent. We've gone down the older experienced pro route far too much and that could cost us 

We were getting 1.64 points per game under McKinnon. That's gone up to 2.00 points per game under Miller/McCracken. We have improved. I would debate whether that's a big enough improvement but we are better now than we were at the start of the season.
FWIW I think both ourselves and Raith will go up. Outside of Dundee Utd the Championship is dung this season.

Let’s just put that into perspective. Over a 36 game season we end up with 59 points and maybe scrape the fourth play off spot under McKinnon. Under M and M we have 72 points and probably finish top.
However because M & M inherited the team inside season, and we finish second, there are a number on here who would ditch them.
Unbelievable.
PS. Looking forward to Relegator Ritchies usual red dot as soon as we say anything positive about the club. Real supporter? Aye right....

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

The amount of money bookies make has very little to do with realised probability.

I would possibly agree if I knew what the feck you were talking about! :P

I've actually been in a bookies, possibly twice in my life, so I don't really know how it all works. (and have no inclination to find out) 

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I would possibly agree if I knew what the feck you were talking about! :P

I've actually been in a bookies, possibly twice in my life, so I don't really know how it all works. (and have no inclination to find out) 

I'm an expert. In 1996 I went into a bookies in Dundee and put £5 on a horse with a silly name. It won, I went back later and got £20-odd quid back.  I never gambled before or since and that probably makes me the most successful gambler on P&B.

If a Bookie says he'll give you £10 if A happens or £1 if B happens, B is more likely. 

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Raith have shown that you can still pick up decent young talent in loan or freed by the bigger clubs. I'd take hendry or Armstrong over some of our dross any day and they picked up Gullan from hibs for the first half of the season who was excellent. We've gone down the older experienced pro route far too much and that could cost us 

Good points Shadwell. Look at it from a prospective signings point of view. FFC Board - Do they stay or do they go ? Management - Are they fixtures for the length of the offered contract ? What is their record on how they treat their signings ? What is the plan for the progression of the club ? The answers to all these question reflect badly on FFC. If you are a young player wanting a chance there are better options. You would want stable working environment and that does not exist at the club.

Reflect on this - If we don't go up this season ( god forbid ) will M&M be at the club next season ? Doubt it !

50 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

I'm an expert. In 1996 I went into a bookies in Dundee and put £5 on a horse with a silly name. It won, I went back later and got £20-odd quid back.  I never gambled before or since and that probably makes me the most successful gambler on P&B.

If a Bookie says he'll give you £10 if A happens or £1 if B happens, B is more likely. 

Similar story ! 1970-1 game rained off due to waterlogged pitch - Went to Baikies for a game of snooker, no chance 30-40 people milling around in front of us. Star Inn for a pint jammed to the door and was not risking my health by going the slop emporium called the Empire Bar across the road. Bookies in Dalderse Avenue and not a clue. Me and my mate watched for a wee while and together put on a 1 pound bet which was big when you consider a pint was 2/6p ( 12.5p in pre decimal money ) Massive odds and we both got over 15 pound each each back when it won. Whooo Hooo pints at the Vicky bar and have never been in a bookies again.

32 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Similar story ! 1970-1 game rained off due to waterlogged pitch - Went to Baikies for a game of snooker, no chance 30-40 people milling around in front of us. Star Inn for a pint jammed to the door and was not risking my health by going the slop emporium called the Empire Bar across the road. Bookies in Dalderse Avenue and not a clue. Me and my mate watched for a wee while and together put on a 1 pound bet which was big when you consider a pint was 2/6p ( 12.5p in pre decimal money ) Massive odds and we both got over 15 pound each each back when it won. Whooo Hooo pints at the Vicky bar and have never been in a bookies again.

Bookies hate people like us because we could bankrupt them if we could be bothered.

Looking at the number of cases of COVID-19 in the uk and the numbers going up by about 50% each day I reckon we could have 100k cases in the Uk in just over two weeks.
Looking more and more like the season will end with games behind closed doors or possibly even postponed or cancelled completely....players can catch COVID-19 too.
We are in for a strange season end one way or another.....

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

M and M's january recruitment has been no better than the dross that was signed before.  Da vita was signed in a flash and has done absolutely nothing. Todd is no any better than what we had and only hall has actually nailed down a place in the team. We needed legs and pace and got feck all of either.

Da vita is at the end of his career and was a Houstonesque type signing but don't think we can say either way re Hall or Todd as of yet, both have had good and poor games. The one thing I will say about Todd is that he never hides.

5 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

He sent in players in the summer to look at and not one of them were up to scratch

Whilst McKinnon was in charge tho

2 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

Bookies base their odds on betting trends as much as probability. 

Or how many goals their striker has scored