The Falkirk FC Thread

Am I being over optimistic when thinking that Sammon not only being dropped but also not being used as a sub might give him the kick up the backside he needs to really take his chance when he does get on? 9 caps for the republic of ireland and goals in the english championship, surely he can improve for us.

38 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Am I being over optimistic when thinking that Sammon not only being dropped but also not being used as a sub might give him the kick up the backside he needs to really take his chance when he does get on? 9 caps for the republic of ireland and goals in the english championship, surely he can improve for us.

I would say that you're being overly optimistic. 

I thought that he started the season reasonably well but his form has fallen off a cliff.
Not worth a place in the team at the moment but then who do we play in his place?

As said might be way off Mark, so you have the facts on what the situation was, would be good to know, thanks 

Both managers have said it themselves. “They have given us support every time we have asked” or words to that effect. That tells me they are happy with what they have and had they wanted more they would have got it.

it's looking more like a mistake letting Leitch and Laverty go out on loan aswell. They may not have featured much but at least it's options off the bench. Sammon and McMillan hopefully will be nowhere near our club next season, I'd also question the signing of Gomis for next year. Might be ok as a back up, but this squad is in need of major surgery in the summer regardless of league. If we don't go up I can't see M&M being tasked with it. 

Edited by ebobsboy

18 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

If we don't go up I can't see M&M being tasked with it. 

I can. In fact, I think it's a certainty they'll be here next season, irrespective of the league we find ourselves in. From the point of view of those who own and run the club, it's an absolute no-brainer. The appointment has had exactly the desired effect. I wouldn't be surprised if contract extensions are confirmed in the next few weeks.

We have been screaming out for young hungry players all season, hopefully during the summer we can add some youth to the squad which gives us some energy

100% this ^^^^^^^

47 minutes ago, Sanity check needed. said:

We have been screaming out for young hungry players all season, hopefully during the summer we can add some youth to the squad which gives us some energy

If Falkirk gains promotion, will there be any “young hungry” players capable of playing at Championship level available to be signed? The other problem is “young hungry” players usually means players that haven’t yet proven themselves, and that is likely to give you one successful signing out of two or three. A promoted team most often carries some players over and signs a few journeymen from a recently relegated team. The easiest source of good, young players is loans from the top level teams, but they often don’t engage the fans.

With the Academy closed, there isn’t an easy path to promising young player signings, unless Falkirk are willing to take some flyers...which might be costly in the Championship. Conversely, and somewhat perversely, if Falkirk stay in League One, there will be more of an opportunity to infuse the team with youth and reconnect with the community. As shitty as a third year in League One has been for Raith, the engagement from the community has risen as younger players have moved into the starting team.

Thats not to suggest that Falkirk should be content to miss promotion, but just that reconnecting the team to the fans and community will likely take a lot more than a bounce back and a few “youth” signings.

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

it's looking more like a mistake letting Leitch and Laverty go out on loan aswell. They may not have featured much but at least it's options off the bench. Sammon and McMillan hopefully will be nowhere near our club next season, I'd also question the signing of Gomis for next year. Might be ok as a back up, but this squad is in need of major surgery in the summer regardless of league. If we don't go up I can't see M&M being tasked with it. 

There is the rub 3 teams in 3 seasons. It is another new squad next season  whether we stay down or go up. With the signing on fees and buy out of contracts must have cost the cost 200k+ if lucky.

Who do we have for next season that make the grade ?

Mutch. But I doubt he will be at the club.

Dixon. Bear with me ! Think he will be better as part of the central defence.

Gomis. As long as there are players around him to do the running.

Longridge. Got the football but need to get his head in order during a game.

McManus. Pay whatever signing on fee he wants but suspect he will get better offers.

The rest of them not bothered one way or another but Laverty, Connolly, Leitch could be maybes.

If Falkirk gains promotion, will there be any “young hungry” players capable of playing at Championship level available to be signed? The other problem is “young hungry” players usually means players that haven’t yet proven themselves, and that is likely to give you one successful signing out of two or three. A promoted team most often carries some players over and signs a few journeymen from a recently relegated team. The easiest source of good, young players is loans from the top level teams, but they often don’t engage the fans.
With the Academy closed, there isn’t an easy path to promising young player signings, unless Falkirk are willing to take some flyers...which might be costly in the Championship. Conversely, and somewhat perversely, if Falkirk stay in League One, there will be more of an opportunity to infuse the team with youth and reconnect with the community. As shitty as a third year in League One has been for Raith, the engagement from the community has risen as younger players have moved into the starting team.
Thats not to suggest that Falkirk should be content to miss promotion, but just that reconnecting the team to the fans and community will likely take a lot more than a bounce back and a few “youth” signings.
Well you lot have wanked yourselves foamy over Regan Hendry all season, isnt that the type of player he is?

43 minutes ago, TxRover said:

If we gain promotion we'll have a reserve team again. I know of at least one young player we're monitoring as a potential signing, initially for the reserves but who could be developed into a first teamer. I'm sure there are more.

We actually did that last year with the likes of Scott Reekie, Souleymane Diakite and Ruaridh Langan. Unfortunately we had to ditch them all following relegation. The only one we kept was retained because he had a long term injury and we were looking after him. (Aidan Laverty)

As for young loanees not engaging the fans, I don't recall Zak Rudden having any problems.

Have you convinced yourself this is a well thought out post?

Well you lot have wanked yourselves foamy over Regan Hendry all season, isnt that the type of player he is?

“wanked yourselves foamy”
Spectacular use of language sir, well played.

I wonder if I can work this into my month end management team report.

2 hours ago, Sanity check needed. said:

What like from an academy or something?

You are correct that's what we need but that ship has sailed - only journeymen and loan signings for us these days, and in the future. Craig Campbell's legacy.