The Falkirk FC Thread

32 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The people in charge are business people that have a track record of success. What comes over them when they take charge of Falkirk resembles the Marx Brothers.

Make a statement on the clubs future.

Sound business plan with achievable goals in the planned timeline. The right people employed to achieve these objectives. KPI's ( key performance indicators ) so progress can be measured. Review - Revise - Action and back again so the business plan is on track.

St Johnstone are a template of a club comparable to Falkirk that got it correct. But we blew it, and my we did it is style.

It is going to be a long term plan if we are to get to their level. With unpopular decisions to be taken.

1. Promotion this season is a must and consolidate ourselves in the league. 

2. Youth policy to once again produce our own players. it will take 5-10 years but will be worth it.

3. Buy the stadium and surrounding land outright so the club has an asset it can borrow against in hard times and be a consistent income stream. At present every pound we spend a cut goes to the council and that has to change.  I read somewhere St Johnstone make a fortune on wedding receptions and funeral teas at their ground.

4. 4th Stand-Hotel-Health Spa etc only when we own the rest of the complex.

Appreciate this is not what many want to hear. But in the long term it is the correct thing to do.

Any thoughts ?

Craig Campbell made a big thing of KPI's and mission statements which are ultimately meaningless when you're losing football matches. 

St. Johnstone's 'template' was Asda offering to buy their ground and being gifted land by a local farmer - can't think of any other club that had such luck tbh. 

I agree that we need to develop TFS but if we were copying St. Johnstone then we wouldn't bother... remember them wanting to demolish a stand in favour of a commuter link road! 

We're getting 4,000 in the 3rd tier but a lot of that is just offsetting the ridiculous stadium deal we've got and the council aren't going to give up that up unless we pay way over the odds! 

40 minutes ago, Bula Bairn said:

Craig Campbell made a big thing of KPI's and mission statements which are ultimately meaningless when you're losing football matches. 

St. Johnstone's 'template' was Asda offering to buy their ground and being gifted land by a local farmer - can't think of any other club that had such luck tbh. 

I agree that we need to develop TFS but if we were copying St. Johnstone then we wouldn't bother... remember them wanting to demolish a stand in favour of a commuter link road! 

We're getting 4,000 in the 3rd tier but a lot of that is just offsetting the ridiculous stadium deal we've got and the council aren't going to give up that up unless we pay way over the odds! 

Agree ! the council played a blinder on this. They sold their own land at inflated prices to the stadium company they had a major share in due to the Hotel that was going to be built. In other words they moved their own money around and got a larger share of the stadium.  As soon as the ink was dry ! low and behold the blast zone became public and no hotel FFC got well and truly screwed. The club can't move the council would not give planning permission so we are stuck where we are. Unfortunately if we want to progress then we have to buy the Stadium Company with the price premium.

What is not realised with the stadium gone the council were able to sell the Incinerator site, Bleachfield and the waste ground between them to J K Miller at better price due to the combined land package.

What do folk think our chances of keeping McManus beyond this season are?

I reckon it pretty much hinges on us going up. Can't see us affording him, or him wanting to stay, if we're in the Seaside Leagues for another year. Reckon we'd have a decent chance if we were to go up to the Championship though.

I reckon it pretty much hinges on us going up. Can't see us affording him, or him wanting to stay, if we're in the Seaside Leagues for another year. Reckon we'd have a decent chance if we were to go up to the Championship though.
Yeah. If we go up, I cant see him going elsewhere. If we stay down, nil.

44 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Recall not long after moving into our new stadium ( stand) an alleged remark by GC that the council pretty much are the main player, due to the JVC. So much time and changes which has resulted in a three stand stadium, which unless we win the lottery will be as good as it gets.

Can anyone or does anyone know exactly how the business is set up ?

So much rumour about the relationship with council / rates /rent, floor space, catering and hospitality, stand mortgages ( SA) etc. Hear so much ( shite) but stand to be corrected. 

Appreciate anyone with facts please 🙄

Information available from Falkirk Community Stadium Ltd and Company Check Ltd. From what I see the operations and running of the Stadium is done by Falkirk Council. So you can bet your bottom dollar they charge plenty for their services, talk about a licence to print money.

The stadium was built as a joint venture between Falkirk Football Club and Falkirk Council. What % is owned by who is unknown.

Surrounding land and car park are owned by Falkirk Council. 

The more you look into it the worse it looks. The lack of clarity on the valid questions you ask makes you wonder why the secrecy.

After FFC pay rent and charged for services and overheads ( decided by the stadium company ) would not be surprised if we get 20p out of every pound the fans spend.

Think we all agree it would be in FFC interests to own the whole stadium and surrounding land. How much the council want should be found out. Once that is known then we know where we stand.

1 hour ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

We are his 8th club albeit a lot of loans, he is 25 now and I think with a young family, you just never know. He has chased £s like so many by going to Dingwall and like many didn't settle there long term.

Id guess it will come down to cash and length of contract, cant see him trying England again but you never know.

Scoring goals for fun in the league he has done it afore will only get him more suitors 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

What is not realised with the stadium gone the council were able to sell the Incinerator site, Bleachfield and the waste ground between them to J K Miller at better price due to the combined land package.

That's a name I haven't heard in decades.

JK Miller went bust in the seventies. My parents worked and met at their Summerford site in the fifties.

I think the Parkhouse site which you're referring to was a different company by the time they took over the Bleachfield.

19 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

That's a name I haven't heard in decades.

JK Miller went bust in the seventies. My parents worked and met at their Summerford site in the fifties.

I think the Parkhouse site which you're referring to was a different company by the time they took over the Bleachfield.

Many a Sunday afternoon in the early 70's playing 8-9 a side at the hockey pitch at the Bleachfield. Nipping into J K Millers at half time to take on water from one of their taps.

Then the customary piss at the side of the pitch 20 minutes later. Happy memories ! Anybody else remember that era ?

54 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Many a Sunday afternoon in the early 70's playing 8-9 a side at the hockey pitch at the Bleachfield. Nipping into J K Millers at half time to take on water from one of their taps.

Then the customary piss at the side of the pitch 20 minutes later. Happy memories ! Anybody else remember that era ?

Yep. When we were a part-time club the players used to train there a couple of nights a week. I remember cycling up to get autographs.

In the old days before selfies were a thing.

5 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Yep. When we were a part-time club the players used to train there a couple of nights a week. I remember cycling up to get autographs.

Falkirk HS women’s hockey teams played there in the 50’s and 60’s and you could sit on your bike against the fence and watch the girls do their stuff on Saturday mornings

18 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Then they had a run back to Brockville. Up past the Dollar Park, across the road at the side of the Park Hotel, Arnothill, Cockburn Street, Hope Street.

Funny how your mind drags out memories from decades ago.

22 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Oh, that's all well and good and I'm sure the management would have been delighted to do so, as would we all, but where are we going to get players who will replace what's already there? As I said there's not a queue of them out there waiting for the call.

The alternative to signing Da Vita, Todd etc would have been to keep McLean, Tidser etc, and I've no doubt that you would have been very vocal about M&M's failure to recruit during the window if that had been the case.

I'm not having a go mate but things aren't just as simple as you seem to think.

Of course it's not easy or everyone would be a football manager. It is possible though. Raith have hee haw cash and managed to bring in Stephen mclean who is better than the strikers they had.  It's all about contacts and having the ability to persuade players that falkirk is where they want to be.

14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Of course it's not easy or everyone would be a football manager. It is possible though. Raith have hee haw cash and managed to bring in Stephen mclean who is better than the strikers they had.  It's all about contacts and having the ability to persuade players that falkirk is where they want to be.

Personally I don't think McLean's any better than Raith have already. Struck me as a bit of a panic signing TBH when Miller knocked them back. He scored very few goals for Hearts and will be 38 this year.

Not a signing that I'd have been particularly enthused about if he had come to us, but time will tell I suppose.

Just now, ShaggerG said:

Personally I don't think McLean's any better than Raith have already. Struck me as a bit of a panic signing TBH when Miller knocked them back. He scored very few goals for Hearts and will be 38 this year.

Not a signing that I'd have been particularly enthused about if he had come to us, but time will tell I suppose.

He was excellent against partick the other night. Would've suited our attack well. Excellent first touch and brings other players into the game well.

4 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Agree ! the council played a blinder on this. They sold their own land at inflated prices to the stadium company they had a major share in due to the Hotel that was going to be built. In other words they moved their own money around and got a larger share of the stadium.  As soon as the ink was dry ! low and behold the blast zone became public and no hotel FFC got well and truly screwed. The club can't move the council would not give planning permission so we are stuck where we are. Unfortunately if we want to progress then we have to buy the Stadium Company with the price premium.

as a matter of interest how much does the stadium company charge Falkirk to use the faci!ities ,  and do they trouser the car parking and t he pie money also,  as you well know Airdrie had the same issues albeit our crowds are much lower, we resolved it by the stadium  company as part of a consortium buying out the club, is that not an optio n for the bairns or is it case of too many fingers in the pie wanting there share....

Played there for Larbert High School against St.Mungo’s in a school team that went onto win the Scottish Cup. We trounced them 9-0. Be 1977 or 1978.

That Team included the likes of Alan McGonnigal, Tarzan and Kenny Black. Great memories. It was a great pitch

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

as a matter of interest how much does the stadium company charge Falkirk to use the faci!ities ,  and do they trouser the car parking and t he pie money also,  as you well know Airdrie had the same issues albeit our crowds are much lower, we resolved it by the stadium  company as part of a consortium buying out the club, is that not an optio n for the bairns or is it case of too many fingers in the pie wanting there share....

Q1 Not made public.

Q2 Council get 100% car park money.

Q3 Pie and Refreshment money goes to Stadium Company.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He was excellent against partick the other night. Would've suited our attack well. Excellent first touch and brings other players into the game well.

Exactly what a number of other watchers have said about him. He’s not a big scorer himself, but seems to add tons to the attack with his position and sense. We’ve very happy to have him. I can’t speak for how he would fit with Falkirk FC, because I haven’t watched to see who is your general in the attack.

On what Falkirk FC pays, don’t forget about £80k this year for the South Stand, with it escalating yearly until paid off in another 15-20 years or so.

5 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Information available from Falkirk Community Stadium Ltd and Company Check Ltd. From what I see the operations and running of the Stadium is done by Falkirk Council. So you can bet your bottom dollar they charge plenty for their services, talk about a licence to print money.

The stadium was built as a joint venture between Falkirk Football Club and Falkirk Council. What % is owned by who is unknown.

Surrounding land and car park are owned by Falkirk Council. 

The more you look into it the worse it looks. The lack of clarity on the valid questions you ask makes you wonder why the secrecy.

After FFC pay rent and charged for services and overheads ( decided by the stadium company ) would not be surprised if we get 20p out of every pound the fans spend.

Think we all agree it would be in FFC interests to own the whole stadium and surrounding land. How much the council want should be found out. Once that is known then we know where we stand.

Cannae believe we’re giving 80p in the pound to stadium company. Raging likes 😡