The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Not convinced the squad is too small - we don't have a reserve side so no point having players who can't at least make the bench.  

My bet is that Telfer and McShane were made offers to leave in January and were given to the last minute to go.  Without those two the midfield wouldn't be nearly as overloaded.   

With Longridge dithering, De Vita was signed early rather than risk him moving elsewhere and then risk Longridge leaving.  Clear M&M see De Vita, Longidge and Todd as more natural wide players than Telfer who they see as more of a back up for Gomis.  

Hall is centre back cover and Miller can play full back if needed.  

Agree we could do with a better option up front than McMillan (what a stupid signing he was) and Sammon.  Would rather see L.Miller than either to be honest.  I hear all the 'he's finished' comments but is a finished Lee Miller better than a finished Sammon or McMillan.  Probably.  

They keep playing telfer so I doubt that's the case in his respect. Mcshane a different story.

42 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You sign players to play in the first 11 and then use the players  they replace as your squad. Different if our first team was clearly better than anything else in the league then bringing in better squad players would be fine but that's not the case.

Oh, that's all well and good and I'm sure the management would have been delighted to do so, as would we all, but where are we going to get players who will replace what's already there? As I said there's not a queue of them out there waiting for the call.

The alternative to signing Da Vita, Todd etc would have been to keep McLean, Tidser etc, and I've no doubt that you would have been very vocal about M&M's failure to recruit during the window if that had been the case.

I'm not having a go mate but things aren't just as simple as you seem to think.

41 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Oh, that's all well and good and I'm sure the management would have been delighted to do so, as would we all, but where are we going to get players who will replace what's already there? As I said there's not a queue of them out there waiting for the call.

The alternative to signing Da Vita, Todd etc would have been to keep McLean, Tidser etc, and I've no doubt that you would have been very vocal about M&M's failure to recruit during the window if that had been the case.

I'm not having a go mate but things aren't just as simple as you seem to think.

We are where we are and the next 13 games are all that matters. What division we are in next season will decide what caliber of player we will get for next season.

The board have gone in to hiding after the MC fiasco. That is no surprise and it is obvious there is no long term business plan or strategy for the future in place.  At the best they look no further than the next season.

That was the club in the mid 70's and it ain't a nice place to be. Other clubs cast offs - No home produced players - Squad going through the motions with the ambition of not being relegated. 

Change will only come with change of ownership.

On 15/02/2020 at 12:31, Marshmallo said:

No chance are the Shire paying more than any side in the Championship. They'll have a couple of guys on a bit more than Stranraer are paying the majority of their squad but that budget is nowhere near any side at tier 2.

£600+ a week part time, at least 3 players on that. They’ve got an investor who is being benevolent in light of a life long shire fan is what I heard - from one of the players. 

We had players on that sort of money when in championship....

3 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

£600+ a week part time, at least 3 players on that. They’ve got an investor who is being benevolent in light of a life long shire fan is what I heard - from one of the players. 

We had players on that sort of money when in championship....

Which players are on 600 a week or more?

Or a partial change of ownership might be enough to do the trick. If that were to happen, the newcomers would have to be up for doing the micro and the macro (which would be no bad thing).

Interesting that since the new chairman took the helm, and there was a wee hint of possibly something new, it all seems to have fallen into the same old pattern of zero communication.

Or a partial change of ownership might be enough to do the trick. If that were to happen, the newcomers would have to be up for doing the micro and the macro (which would be no bad thing).

Interesting that since the new chairman took the helm, and there was a wee hint of possibly something new, it all seems to have fallen into the same old pattern of zero communication.

Perhaps they’ve realised that pretty much every time they do communicate nowadays it’s a case of foot in mouth.
I’m quite enjoying the silence for a change....

8 minutes ago, endieinreekie said:

Ahead of our forthcoming titanic clash, does one have to pay to park at the stadium? 

You will probably find the answer is yes, but can you can get parked close enough using the college car park 5 min walk from there

Edited by AL-FFC

The silence is deafening, and in my opinion the absolute shambles/debacle with the taxi driver, leaves us further detached and broken as a club. My guess is that they have tried to balance the books with paying off the Tidsers etc, resulting in the shallow squad.
Most likely praying we can get up with so low numbers. I don’t think there is any plan b, and interesting to here what manifests in the next few weeks, our most critical set of fixtures for many a season. 

The silence since MC was kicked out is not doing any good IMO.

13 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The people in charge are business people that have a track record of success. What comes over them when they take charge of Falkirk resembles the Marx Brothers.

Make a statement on the clubs future.

Sound business plan with achievable goals in the planned timeline. The right people employed to achieve these objectives. KPI's ( key performance indicators ) so progress can be measured. Review - Revise - Action and back again so the business plan is on track.

St Johnstone are a template of a club comparable to Falkirk that got it correct. But we blew it, and my we did it is style.

It is going to be a long term plan if we are to get to their level. With unpopular decisions to be taken.

1. Promotion this season is a must and consolidate ourselves in the league. 

2. Youth policy to once again produce our own players. it will take 5-10 years but will be worth it.

3. Buy the stadium and surrounding land outright so the club has an asset it can borrow against in hard times and be a consistent income stream. At present every pound we spend a cut goes to the council and that has to change.  I read somewhere St Johnstone make a fortune on wedding receptions and funeral teas at their ground.

4. 4th Stand-Hotel-Health Spa etc only when we own the rest of the complex.

Appreciate this is not what many want to hear. But in the long term it is the correct thing to do.

Any thoughts ?

5 minutes ago, BairnBrainBrian said:

I remember Shire players being on £10  a week. But they made a good wage out of betting against themselves on the fixed odds coupon almost every week. (allegedly ;) )

Always had a soft spot for Shire. They had a classic song. Shirie is a great wee team geeza goal=geezagoal-gezzagoal. If its fitba yer after ! don't go to Brockville. Shirie is a great wee tem geezagoal-geezagoal-geezagoal.