The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, AL-FFC said:

Thing is no one knows how these players are going to fit in until they hit the team its not like a try before you sign sort of thing and at the end of the day we arent in a position to be 

No but the likes of raith seem to be doing a better job of it with a fraction of the budget.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No but the likes of raith seem to be doing a better job of it with a fraction of the budget.

M and M are rookies though compared to McGlynn plus Raith seem to have a competent board

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

Look on the bright side we could still have had Tidser and McLean

On another note see Clyde 1 superscoreboard were blowing smoke up McKinnons arse with what a great job he is doing at Queens Park and 13 points from a possible 15 (theres been a few articles doing that mind you)

McLean's cameo against airdrie was exactly the kind of player we are crying out for. Showed pace to get past the full back on a number of occasions. Unfortunately he spent most of his time injured or out of favour  so we'll never know if he could do that again but that's the kind of player we are crying out for at the moment.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

McLean's cameo against airdrie was exactly the kind of player we are crying out for. Showed pace to get past the full back on a number of occasions. Unfortunately he spent most of his time injured or out of favour  so we'll never know if he could do that again but that's the kind of player we are crying out for at the moment.

Forgot we still have Johnstone as well albeit on loan to Stranraer another injury prone player.

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

M and M are rookies though compared to McGlynn plus Raith seem to have a competent board

We don't have time though for them to feel their way into the job unfortunately..  If they win the league this year with us then they will have matched mcglynn's haul of major trophies in his entire managerial career 

Personally I think we should only ever sign good players. M&M should know this and should have known that the players that they were signing weren't as good as some of the worst ones that other teams have. That means that we've been left with players that aren't good enough to be as good as some of the worst already in this league and will probably not be good enough to get us promoted.

Da Vita for example isn't as good as Telfer or Longbridge or McLean who we let go to Queens Park ffs.

Get signing some good players ffs!

13 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Personally I think we should only ever sign good players. M&M should know this and should have known that the players that they were signing weren't as good as some of the worst ones that other teams have. That means that we've been left with players that aren't good enough to be as good as some of the worst already in this league and will probably not be good enough to get us promoted.

Da Vita for example isn't as good as Telfer or Longbridge or McLean who we let go to Queens Park ffs.

Difficult really to say about da vita as he's hardly played. But if he wasnt good enough to get into the first 11 he shouldn't have been signed.

13 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Rebuilding squads every season have contributed to where we are at present. Having a core of 5-6-7 from the previous season gives continuity and stability, building on the strengths of the team. The best runs we had was when we did that.

Agree ! signing good players in the right positions is crucial, its not smart its common sense. To be fair to M&M they have made what they started with better and there are a core now that can be built on for example Mutch-Dixon-Gomis-Miller. Add on Leitch and Laverty as young players M&M expect to break through. McManus would be a good signing but his goals this season will have other teams after him. Longridge - Hall - Todd are the maybes that have to prove themselves week in week out. The occasional great game ain't good enough.

Who we sign depends on the league we are in next season. 

Rebuilding squads every season have contributed to where we are at present. Having a core of 5-6-7 from the previous season gives continuity and stability, building on the strengths of the team. The best runs we had was when we did that.
Agree ! signing good players in the right positions is crucial, its not smart its common sense. To be fair to M&M they have made what they started with better and there are a core now that can be built on for example Mutch-Dixon-Gomis-Miller. Add on Leitch and Laverty as young players M&M expect to break through. McManus would be a good signing but his goals this season will have other teams after him. Longridge - Hall - Todd are the maybes that have to prove themselves week in week out. The occasional great game ain't good enough.

Recruitment is all that is important first and last.

If you sign bad players you don’t win games. The only decent transfer window we have had since the January we signed Baird and Kerr was Hartley’s January. That is years of signing bad players. Add that to having no youth development is it any wonder we are where we are?

Do I see that changing any time soon? To be convinced TBH.

17 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Do I see that changing any time soon? To be convinced TBH.

I think that depends on ownership tbh and thats probably up in the air as half them cant decide if they want to stay or go ( the silence being so deafening it doesnt look like anytime soon)

16 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

MacLean is already a benchwarmer at QP...

Not convinced the squad is too small - we don't have a reserve side so no point having players who can't at least make the bench.  

My bet is that Telfer and McShane were made offers to leave in January and were given to the last minute to go.  Without those two the midfield wouldn't be nearly as overloaded.   

With Longridge dithering, De Vita was signed early rather than risk him moving elsewhere and then risk Longridge leaving.  Clear M&M see De Vita, Longidge and Todd as more natural wide players than Telfer who they see as more of a back up for Gomis.  

Hall is centre back cover and Miller can play full back if needed.  

Agree we could do with a better option up front than McMillan (what a stupid signing he was) and Sammon.  Would rather see L.Miller than either to be honest.  I hear all the 'he's finished' comments but is a finished Lee Miller better than a finished Sammon or McMillan.  Probably.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

Not convinced the squad is too small - we don't have a reserve side so no point having players who can't at least make the bench.  
My bet is that Telfer and McShane were made offers to leave in January and were given to the last minute to go.  Without those two the midfield wouldn't be nearly as overloaded.   
With Longridge dithering, De Vita was signed early rather than risk him moving elsewhere and then risk Longridge leaving.  Clear M&M see De Vita, Longidge and Todd as more natural wide players than Telfer who they see as more of a back up for Gomis.  
Hall is centre back cover and Miller can play full back if needed.  
Agree we could do with a better option up front than McMillan (what a stupid signing he was) and Sammon.  Would rather see L.Miller than either to be honest.  I hear all the 'he's finished' comments but is a finished Lee Miller better than a finished Sammon or McMillan.  Probably.  

So why has he not played? It is M&M’s job they are on the line.

17/18 will be fine without injuries and suspensions. However they will happen between now and May. We are not in a good place if/when that happens especially if it happens to 2/3 certain players

we need to go up this season, and I'd put raith as favourites...I honestly couldn't bear losing to Hartley and McKinnon next season as both could well be promoted this season. can you imagine that at TFS next season and they keep us in this godforsaken league another season and fist pump their way up the tunnel?

here's hoping raith have a few hiccups.

16 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Difficult really to say about da vita as he's hardly played. But if he wasnt good enough to get into the first 11 he shouldn't have been signed.

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

FFS, the post was meant to be faches  faceetio  facetiu sarcastic!

It's a squad game, Da Vita was signed to be part of a squad. Would you rather they kept Leitch, McLean and Tidser? Or get rid of them and not sign anyone who's not an automatic starter to replace them? Why sign Todd? Why not try to get Connolly off the books too?

For all we know Da Vita may be carrying a wee knock but I'm sure he'll be used when M&M feel it's right.

One thing's for sure though, there is not a queue of players who are good enough to walk into the team waiting to sign for Falkirk!

Think the main concern is injuries and suspensions in the defence. When you think about it would take 3 injuries/suspensions till we were really struggling. Miller can cover full back and centre back. Hall centre back. A third injury/suspension would mean someone like Todd or Telfer for example having to cover full back. I know that prospect sounds scary but they are ment to be professional footballers.

This would obviously weaken the team but still not that bad. An injury/suspension to McManus would be worse in my opinion

Your basically talking when Durnan/Buchanan/Dixon or Doyle get suspended for exceeding the yellow card threshold, Durnan sitting on 8 yellows  Buchanan on 4, Dixon on 2 and Doyle on 4 (going by transfer markt how accurate i dont know but thats the stats so far for this season)

Doyle, Buchanan and Durnan approaching accumulated yellows for a 1 and 2 match suspension in Durnans case 2

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

It's a squad game, Da Vita was signed to be part of a squad. Would you rather they kept Leitch, McLean and Tidser? Or get rid of them and not sign anyone who's not an automatic starter to replace them? Why sign Todd? Why not try to get Connolly off the books too?

For all we know Da Vita may be carrying a wee knock but I'm sure he'll be used when M&M feel it's right.

One thing's for sure though, there is not a queue of players who are good enough to walk into the team waiting to sign for Falkirk!

Exactly ! Where we are, there are better options for players that are available. Put it this way, its the end of the season and you are looking for a new club. What do you look for. Is the club well run ! Are the owners going to be there ! Is there a structure to progress in place ! What's the player turnover ! Is the managers position secure ! Is it a good squad I am joining ! In all these instances Falkirk don't come well out of it.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Your basically talking when Durnan/Buchanan/Dixon or Doyle get suspended for exceeding the yellow card threshold, Durnan sitting on 8 yellows  Buchanan on 4, Dixon on 2 and Doyle on 4 (going by transfer markt how accurate i dont know but thats the stats so far for this season)

Doyle, Buchanan and Durnan approaching accumulated yellows for a 1 and 2 match suspension in Durnans case 2

I thought so too, but not true. After 18 games, the threshold changes to 12 yellows, vice 6. So, right now, Durnan looks to be your only stick-on suspension coming...he averages yellows such that he’ll miss a couple of games at the end of the season.

4 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

You sign players to play in the first 11 and then use the players  they replace as your squad. Different if our first team was clearly better than anything else in the league then bringing in better squad players would be fine but that's not the case.