The Falkirk FC Thread

31 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Issue for me is that we aren't a whole lot better as a first 11 than we were on the 31st of December.  We've been a bit limited in our signings whilst other teams in the league have unearthed a few gems on the cheap we've continued with our policy of signing players from a higher level. It's a policy which hasn't proven too successful so far though.

I think Hall is better than any of our CB and Todd is good enough for to create some chances personally think DeVita has a bit of class about him his delivery is spot on and has been unlucky not to add a couple of goals to his game if you mind back he near scored on his first touch of the ball in when he came on as sub in his first appearance.  I think going with the squad of 18 is being dictated by above and with Lex in charge of football matters he will be applying same logic as he does in business i.e. you got enough to make do just get on with it basically.

fact of it is we havent managed to unearth another Vaulks or a Crunchie or a Stainrod  or bring any of our own through i think thats what most of us are pissed off about.  but Hartleys signing policy i.e. anyone the scout thinks is good enough (lets no even go there) or the RM signing policy (auld pals act) which in this case some of them have a new lease of life uI think most of us thought the start of the season Gomis was done but he has been our most consistent and Gaz Miller as well not to mention Connelly, Still dont see what Telfer offers and would be one i would look to offload

13 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

I agree our first 11 isn’t a whole lot better although from the little I’ve seen of Hall he should be an upgrade on either of our centre halves. On the other hand tho we could’ve been a lot worse. Realistically we could’ve lost McManus, Longridge and Miller...what state would we have been in then?

The business we did in January keeping our best players was good, I’d have liked us to do a bit more improving the team I.e. sign a partner for McManus. 

Da vita for me was a waste of a loan deal. Other areas we are needing players in like a better striking option or some decent pace in the side. Cant help feeling they rushed into getting him signed up at the start of the window. If he was that good we had to sign him up pronto then give him a game ffs.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

If I recollect correctly, were we not talking about a squad of 18 preseason?
It’s always nice to sign quality players but I would not want us to spend any more money on dross just to increase squad size. It’s done us little favours to date over the last couple of years.
We’ve about 3 months to go, is 18 really that bad in a league full of part time clubs? Maybe there’s an argument for a more stable team selection. Players like Dixon and Durnan have been rightly slaughtered at times, but appear to have improved with games.....

I suppose there’s an argument that Liverpool (despite having shedloads of signed players) are actually romping the EPL with only 18 genuine top flight players. At that point, the resemblance ends.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Da vita for me was a waste of a loan deal. Other areas we are needing players in like a better striking option or some decent pace in the side. Cant help feeling they rushed into getting him signed up at the start of the window.

thing is we could have lost Miller or Longridge and without a replacement we would have been up the creek but then the whole thing boils down to the if my auntei had balls she would be my uncle argument the Longridge one dragged on till the end of the window plus he was injured during that time.

Edited by AL-FFC

4 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

thing is we could have lost Miller or Longridge and without a replacement we would have been up the creek but then the whole thing boils down to the if my aunti had balls she would be my uncle argument the Longridge one dragged on till the end of the window plus he was injured during that time.

The question is then with da vita already signed would we not have been better letting longbridge go and strengthening another area where we are weaker?  Longbridge hasn't started any of the last few games.  And our bench has ended up with both da vita and longbridge on it. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The question is then with da vita already signed would we not have been better letting longbridge go and strengthening another area where we are weaker?  Longbridge hasn't started either of the last few games.  And our bench has ended up with both da vita and longbridge on it. 

thing is with Todd, Gomis, Connelly and Miller  who do you drop ?

Way i see it as i mentioned Miller mentioned in his interview about DavVita fresh pair of legs in the final third i.e when Gomis has ran out of steam and replaces him or Connelly

Edited by AL-FFC

3 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

We've got too many midfielders that's the problem. No need to have those 4 telfer, longridge,da vita and mcshane when we could do with strengthening the likes of up top and only have one left back. 8 midfielders is ludicrous.Squad isn't balanced and we've been having this issue  for a while now.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

We've got too many midfielders that's the problem. No need to have those 4 telfer, longridge and da vita when we could do with strengthening the likes of up top. Squad isn't balanced.

Wasnt balanced at the start of the season but RM insisted that certain players could play in various positions pretty sure that was why we signed Moore and Miller, we got Hall to Bolster defence but thats it we are light in defence up top i suppose if you were to drop Sammon or McMillan Longridge could fit that with McManus thing is the two of them want to score which ends in them losing possession rather than a goalscoring chance rather than pass and both them getting frustrated.

9 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Way i see it as i mentioned Miller mentioned in his interview about DavVita fresh pair of legs in the final third i.e when Gomis has ran out of steam and replaces him or Connelly

I’d drop Sammon and go 4-2-3-1. Miller and Gomis as the 2 with Longridge Todd/Devita and Connolly (on current form) behind McManus

1 minute ago, JulioBairn said:

I’d drop Sammon and go 4-2-3-1. Miller and Gomis as the 2 with Longridge Todd/Devita and Connolly (on current form) behind McManus

No bad shout the frustrating thing we have the now is Sammon or McMillan are never on a run of form so it ends up either one of them subbed every week.

7 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Wasnt balanced at the start of the season but RM insisted that certain players could play in various positions pretty sure that was why we signed Moore and Miller, we got Hall to Bolster defence but thats it we are light in defence up top i suppose if you were to drop Sammon or McMillan Longridge could fit that with McManus thing is the two of them want to score which ends in them losing possession rather than a goalscoring chance rather than pass and both them getting frustrated.

We really need to plan better. We're flooded with midfielders and yet we signed two more in january.  If we were going to do that then at least get ones with vastly different characteristics. Someone with real pace for instance.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We really need to plan better. We're flooded with midfielders and yet we signed two more in january.  If we were going to do that then at least get ones with vastly different characteristics. Someone with real pace for instance.

Well if it was right McShane could have been gone and i wouldnt lose any sleep if Telfer had moved on but that one seems unlikely thats 2 midfielders that no one would have missed and would have freed space for another defender and or striker

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Couldn’t agree more. De vita seems a pointless signing given he’s slow and small, and Todd I hate to say it seems no better than longridge or Connolly - take the 1 on 1 v hearts, pure lack of quality that is. 

Petravicius went to QOS a couple of weeks ago - very much a marmite player but he really would have struck the fear into some of these league 1 defences, plus wouldn’t have been a domestic loan. Would rather have had him than Todd and de vita combined probably and would have then had space for a striker/defender as a domestic loan. But then again surely we’re not better at recruitment than actual football managers...surely...

2 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Well if it was right McShane could have been gone and i wouldnt lose any sleep if Telfer had moved on but that one seems unlikely thats 2 midfielders that no one would have missed and would have freed space for another defender and or striker

I'd agree with you but telfer is different from mcshane as m and m seem to rate him according to the game time they give him.  There was no way he was getting moved on so even 7 midfielders is overkill if you ask me when we need bodies elsewhere.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd agree with you but telfer is different from mcshane as m and m seem to rate him according to the game time they give him.  There was no way he was getting moved on so even 7 midfielders is overkill if you ask me when we need bodies elsewhere.

Look on the bright side we could still have had Tidser and McLean

On another note see Clyde 1 superscoreboard were blowing smoke up McKinnons arse with what a great job he is doing at Queens Park and 13 points from a possible 15 (theres been a few articles doing that mind you)