The Falkirk FC Thread

It looks like we won't have another summer of massive turnover in the playing squad.
If we go up and the second year clauses that BPM mentioned are triggered by promotion, we'll have thirteen  players under contract.  (Sammon, Connolly, Telfer, Doyle, Durnan, Dixon, Gomis, Leitch, Buchanan, Laverty, Miller, Mutch & Todd) 
If you exempt the current four players on loan to us, the only ones out of contract are Longridge, Johnstone, Hall and McShane.
Though  if we do go up, I suppose it's possible we might be recruiting for a reserve team again.

You have a ready made reserve team right there.

It looks like we won't have another summer of massive turnover in the playing squad.
If we go up and the second year clauses that BPM mentioned are triggered by promotion, we'll have thirteen  players under contract.  (Sammon, Connolly, Telfer, Doyle, Durnan, Dixon, Gomis, Leitch, Buchanan, Laverty, Miller, Mutch & Todd) 
If you exempt the current four players on loan to us, the only ones out of contract are Longridge, Johnstone, Hall and McShane.
Though  if we do go up, I suppose it's possible we might be recruiting for a reserve team again.

I am sure the club will try and get shot of a few of these, well hopefully!

4 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Yeah i can't see us being anywhere near the top if we do go up unless there is a massive cash injection into the first team squad. And with the current board there is no chance of that. If you really want promotion from the championship you either need to throw money at it like Dundee Utd or get lucky via the playoffs but that hasn't happened too often in recent years, Hamilton and Livingston apart. 

The championship in recent years has been a car crash, this season you had the pars lose 5 straight games, win on a Friday night and go into the top 4. The league is Dufc and the also rans who have 36, 35 and 33 points from 22 games for play offs which is a poor return.

I can only see Dufc going up, stating obvious but whoever goes into main play off game won't lay a glove on the top league team.

We aren't in a great shape for going up but neither are the majority a league up. We just need to get up first of all.

7 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I am sure the club will try and get shot of a few of these, well hopefully!

Aka pay them to go !!

Not if someone else wants them
What's the chances of that though? Alot of them have failed to make an impact at league 1 level. It's unlikely these players will just walk away from contracts without a good reason to £££. We've been in the same boat bar the likes of Nisbet, where we've ended up giving him away in the end. This league is fucking torture, I hope you have to endure it next season rather than us but id happily see you come up with us to piss the townies off at least, a little.

9 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not if someone else wants them

We more than likely paid off the 3 who were released to go to other clubs in January.

We must be the best club for pay offs to go in Scotland, probably could make a starting 11 from the last 5yr.

This has happened because  we have had new squads every 6 months, hopefully we see a bit more continuity from now on

19 minutes ago, MrDust said:

We more than likely paid off the 3 who were released to go to other clubs in January.

We must be the best club for pay offs to go in Scotland, probably could make a starting 11 from the last 5yr.

This has happened because  we have had new squads every 6 months, hopefully we see a bit more continuity from now on

Hartley really has fucked us on that score. I know McKinnon is a fud but it was that Hartley summer which was supposed to be creating a squad with a bit of stability. 

I can understand any board now being reticent to offer 2 year deals to incoming players. Doubly so given we have the worst board in the country, who are generally completely incompetent. 

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Not even sure this squad will get us ‘out of the seaside’ in the first place tbh.

Seen more to suggest M and M have managed to get more out of this squad that RM ever did  and that it is possible still a lot of ifs and whats about it but at least its looking doable now.

IF we go up we need to build from the back up Dixon could prob still do a job but rest of the defence would worry me would like to keep McManus but we need someone up front with him poss Louis would be a shout for that keep Miller definitely and would probably look to making him Captain seems more a natural leader than Buchanan.

13 hours ago, Hughsie said:

Big fan of Gomis and he’s been our best player at times but I’m not really sure this is the best move.

I’d have waited to see what division we’re in and made a call then. I doubt that there’ll be clubs queuing to sign him in the summer so what’s the rush?

Championship will be beyond him next season IMO. Even if we stay down there’s a big question mark over how much he has left in the tank.

I don’t like saying it because I love the wee guy.

It depends on his wage surely? I'd be happy having him in the squad but would agree he's not going to be a key man.

I can't pick fault in the new contracts offered so far but I fear we have too much mediocrity signed up for next season all in all. Of the current team I'd probably be trying to keep 5-7 starters the same and adding greater quality around them.

Not a sympathiser of our leadership but no one knows who was paid what. 

Before Tidser left I was speaking to a player he’s paly with and he said that it just never worked out for him from day one with us. That’s sometimes happens with players at a club. He wanted away and we wanted him away so who’s to say that a mutual agreement wasn’t done? He’s still of an age where playing games is what would’ve mattered to him, wouldn’t be at all surprised if the deal was a lot less than paying off his contract. His alternative was to sit idle for a season which would do his career more harm in the long run. 

17 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It depends on his wage surely? I'd be happy having him in the squad but would agree he's not going to be a key man.

I can't pick fault in the new contracts offered so far but I fear we have too much mediocrity signed up for next season all in all. Of the current team I'd probably be trying to keep 5-7 starters the same and adding greater quality around them.

Which 7 would you keep? I can see a place for Millar and Mutch in the starting XI next year but everyone else not so much.

1 minute ago, Senor Bairn said:

Which 7 would you keep? I can see a place for Millar and Mutch in the starting XI next year but everyone else not so much.

We need a defence  thats the key area we need to strengthen as much as we have the best defence in only 13-14 goals conceded this is dependant on the standard of opposition.  Doyles cross has improved and Durnan off late seems to be solid but i still think he is a bombscare player and an accident waiting to happen each game.

7 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Mutch, Miller, McManus definitely. Happy to see more of Todd or Hall before making my mind up on them. Potentially Longridge, Gomis, Dixon.

I think if we can avoid turning over the squad massively it will help us hit the ground running rather than making wholesale changes.

Theres only three starters that I would 100% be happy with next year, especially if it's up a league, but there are another few guys who are reasonable jersey fillers.

Depends what we're looking to do if we do get up. If its promotion then there's a hell of a lot of work needing done. However, if its consolidate then we have the makings of a team that could probably do that quite comfortably especially when you consider that there's currently another 4 sides worse than Arbroath in that league. 

30 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Mutch, Miller, McManus definitely. Happy to see more of Todd or Hall before making my mind up on them. Potentially Longridge, Gomis, Dixon.

I think if we can avoid turning over the squad massively it will help us hit the ground running rather than making wholesale changes.

Theres only three starters that I would 100% be happy with next year, especially if it's up a league, but there are another few guys who are reasonable jersey fillers.

Aye thats fair, was forgetting McManus cause hes not really our player. Todd and Hall still have a lot to prove for me, LL Gomis and Dixon would be good backup to have next year.