The Falkirk FC Thread

12 hours ago, Wee Sandy said:

Mibbees aye and mibbees naw!! During the John Hughes debacle as manager at Raith we did not have a back up keeper at one point, we had to play Ryan Stevenson in goal against Ayr in a midweek, lost. Ayr went on to pip us at the post for the league!!

That was in the championship where you cant play trialists or you would've been fine. I'm sure we could've found a few different keepers willing to sit on the bench for 3 games.

2 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Can’t remember when but I’m sure after a certain amount of games the yellows are wiped out. Maybe one for @Skyline Drifter

We found it in English football, after Dec, the number goes from 5 to 10, haven’t found it in Scottish football....would love a link to the actual rules covering this, as finding them is not simple. The SFA doesn’t appear to be a fan of publishing stuff in readable form.

17 minutes ago, TxRover said:

We found it in English football, after Dec, the number goes from 5 to 10, haven’t found it in Scottish football....would love a link to the actual rules covering this, as finding them is not simple. The SFA doesn’t appear to be a fan of publishing stuff in readable form.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/judicial-panel-protocol/

The JPP is there. Took me 30 seconds to find it on their website.

https://spfl.co.uk/pages/rules-and-regulations

The various SPFL rules and regulations. A further 30 seconds to find those on their website.

3 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Can’t remember when but I’m sure after a certain amount of games the yellows are wiped out. Maybe one for @Skyline Drifter

They are not wiped out. However, after 18 league games then the amount of yellows needed in total for a suspension doubles from 6 to 12 (the potential suspension also doubles from one game to two).

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Per above, though if you wade through the link Hughsie supplied it's in there.

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

That was in the championship where you cant play trialists or you would've been fine. I'm sure we could've found a few different keepers willing to sit on the bench for 3 games.

It was also proven that Raith could've had a keeper in the situation they found themselves in but were either stubborn within the management or the board towards our governing body or spending cash.

I do hope we have a couple of recently freed players training with us who are on our radar but I keep thinking of the Miller interview after Stranraer. 

Is there a cut off point we cant play trialist's in a game or can we play trialist's for the remainder of the season ?

18 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Id like to think that M&M would/should have things lined up, the BoD giving them the green light to do so is another matter. It wouldn't surprise me if there were an injury to McManus or one or two others sees us scratching around trying to get bodies in at last minute. It's been that kind of bizarre season, where we didn't have enough players, then had plenty to back to not enough. There is also the financial side as to how much did it cost to get rid of the likes of Bell, Tidser, our BoD seem to be very adept at haemorrhaging money. 

What is available is mostly the dregs nobody else wants. Best chance is a player back from injury and their club requires to give him game time to get him back to first team sharpness. But in the grand scheme of things the clubs and players will have more attractive options than Falkirk.

No change in ownership on the horizon, therefore the same inertia in running the club.

M&M have done a good job with what they have got and have earned the respect of the fans.

If we do go up, and it's a big if ! I just can't see us having a team on the park that will challenge for promotion, mid table safety will be our level.

Hope I am wrong.

Edited by HopeStreetWalker

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

It was also proven that Raith could've had a keeper in the situation they found themselves in but were either stubborn within the management or the board towards our governing body or spending cash.

IIRC it was neither, our MD at the time was on the Championship League committee and was so well versed in the rules that it was proclaimed we couldn't sign a keeper unless under certain circumstances (he was wrong) which we didn't meet, he was also so well liked on said committee that none of his peers thought to better inform him, either way it was a contributing factor to what fucked us as Ayr beat us and Dumbarton pipped us to safety on goal difference. 

39 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

IIRC it was neither, our MD at the time was on the Championship League committee and was so well versed in the rules that it was proclaimed we couldn't sign a keeper unless under certain circumstances (he was wrong) which we didn't meet, he was also so well liked on said committee that none of his peers thought to better inform him, either way it was a contributing factor to what fucked us as Ayr beat us and Dumbarton pipped us to safety on goal difference. 

A spokesman for the SPFL told Sky Sports News HQ: "Raith Rovers had a number of options open to them once their only fit goalkeeper was injured at the weekend."

A few players interviewed post that season also claimed they could have got a keeper in, Raith had tried to postpone the game which was rejected as there was options to get a keeper in, according to the governing body.

As mentioned previously, they had turned up just outside Ayr with no goalkeeper or gloves for Stevenson to wear, as much as my club is a shambles, I couldn't see us have no goalkeeper or indeed turn up outside Ayr with no gloves for an outfield player to wear.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They are not wiped out. However, after 18 league games then the amount of yellows needed in total for a suspension doubles from 6 to 12 (the potential suspension also doubles from one game to two).

Per above, though if you wade through the link Hughsie supplied it's in there.

Thanks for the clarification.

4 hours ago, Hughsie said:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/judicial-panel-protocol/

The JPP is there. Took me 30 seconds to find it on their website.

https://spfl.co.uk/pages/rules-and-regulations

The various SPFL rules and regulations. A further 30 seconds to find those on their website.

You found a link I couldn’t, thank you very much! That makes the decision of M&M a bit more clear, as the three on 4 yellows have some wiggle room. Durnan remains the possible issue.

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

What is available is mostly the dregs nobody else wants. Best chance is a player back from injury and their club requires to give him game time to get him back to first team sharpness. But in the grand scheme of things the clubs and players will have more attractive options than Falkirk.

No change in ownership on the horizon, therefore the same inertia in running the club.

M&M have done a good job with what they have got and have earned the respect of the fans.

If we do go up, and it's a big if ! I just can't see us having a team on the park that will challenge for promotion, mid table table will be our level.

Hope I am wrong.

Yeah i can't see us being anywhere near the top if we do go up unless there is a massive cash injection into the first team squad. And with the current board there is no chance of that. If you really want promotion from the championship you either need to throw money at it like Dundee Utd or get lucky via the playoffs but that hasn't happened too often in recent years, Hamilton and Livingston apart. 

No point in speculating about next season in the Championship until we get their.
We are far from certain to be promoted and are running with a woefully inadequate squad.

Been telling you for months I don’t think we will go up.

Big fan of Gomis and he’s been our best player at times but I’m not really sure this is the best move.

I’d have waited to see what division we’re in and made a call then. I doubt that there’ll be clubs queuing to sign him in the summer so what’s the rush?

Championship will be beyond him next season IMO. Even if we stay down there’s a big question mark over how much he has left in the tank.

I don’t like saying it because I love the wee guy.

6 hours ago, MrDust said:

A spokesman for the SPFL told Sky Sports News HQ: "Raith Rovers had a number of options open to them once their only fit goalkeeper was injured at the weekend."

A few players interviewed post that season also claimed they could have got a keeper in, Raith had tried to postpone the game which was rejected as there was options to get a keeper in, according to the governing body.

As mentioned previously, they had turned up just outside Ayr with no goalkeeper or gloves for Stevenson to wear, as much as my club is a shambles, I couldn't see us have no goalkeeper or indeed turn up outside Ayr with no gloves for an outfield player to wear.

I heard Ryan Stevenson on Sportsound talking about this a few months ago , he said he felt when he was standing in goals for Raith was his self realisation that his career was probably over  , even though he volunteered to do it. He said this point was a real low for him and led to his descent into mental illness issues and him walking away from the game.  

A pretty sad state of affairs all round.

9 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Big fan of Gomis and he’s been our best player at times but I’m not really sure this is the best move.

I’d have waited to see what division we’re in and made a call then. I doubt that there’ll be clubs queuing to sign him in the summer so what’s the rush?

Championship will be beyond him next season IMO. Even if we stay down there’s a big question mark over how much he has left in the tank.

I don’t like saying it because I love the wee guy.

It looks like we won't have another summer of massive turnover in the playing squad.

If we go up and the second year clauses that BPM mentioned are triggered by promotion, we'll have thirteen  players under contract.  (Sammon, Connolly, Telfer, Doyle, Durnan, Dixon, Gomis, Leitch, Buchanan, Laverty, Miller, Mutch & Todd) 

If you exempt the current four players on loan to us, the only ones out of contract are Longridge, Johnstone, Hall and McShane.

Though  if we do go up, I suppose it's possible we might be recruiting for a reserve team again.