The Falkirk FC Thread

31 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Wouldn't imagine that there are any 1st choice strikers out there that are both unattached and affordable.

That’s my concern. Although there always seems to be ways around these things I.e the player we want is attached to a club but comes to an agreement to be released to allow us to sign him 🤷🏼‍♂️

23 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Seems a crazy decision by m and m to waste one of our loans on a backup keeper. Surely we could've muddled on with trialists till the end of the season and used that better.

Can only use a trialist 3 times and it was either that or a highly paid cammy bell as number 2, I think that says it all any numbers above the 18 would be funded by the MSG/Board i remember them saying this shows how much interests or they have the clubs best interests at heart. Unless there is any talks of a buyout going on behind the scenes i get the feeling this is what we are going to see more of.

I reckon any budget in January was spent paying of Bell and Tidser rather than have them taking up a  wage and not being used.

15 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

That’s my concern. Although there always seems to be ways around these things I.e the player we want is attached to a club but comes to an agreement to be released to allow us to sign him 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cannot do that. Any player contracted to a club at the close of the transfer window is off limits. Free agents as of 31st January only.

4 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Big gamble by our board, the fans have backed them this season with season ticket numbers remaining stable. If we don't go up it might not be the same case in L1 next season, all for the sake of a couple of signings.

I don't have any solid evidence for this assumption, but I'm not convinced the squad size was a board decision rather than choice by M&M. I doubt we're so hard up that we needed to save money by getting Brechin to pay a percentage of Aidan Laverty's wages, or Forfar to do the same with Robbie Leitch. Or even Stranraer and Denny Johnstone.

We could have had a much larger squad - for probably very little extra cash - simply by not putting players out on loan.

There's a Meet The Manager event next week, albeit it's being held at a sponsors premises so the numbers will be limited. I'd imagine "why do we have such a small squad?" will be one of the first questions asked of M&M.

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Seems a crazy decision by m and m to waste one of our loans on a backup keeper. Surely we could've muddled on with trialists till the end of the season and used that better.

Mibbees aye and mibbees naw!! During the John Hughes debacle as manager at Raith we did not have a back up keeper at one point, we had to play Ryan Stevenson in goal against Ayr in a midweek, lost. Ayr went on to pip us at the post for the league!!

A George Craig shout out in 2020. Duncan playing the hits tonight!

Got to tuck away the GC chances. Saw a bit on a Hibs forum after he was asked “George, what is it you actually do”? His response was that Hibs fans will only understand what he did once he was gone.

They reckon that was true as they now realise he did absolutely nowt other than pick up a salary. Wish the man had settled for doing nowt with FFC.

2 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

The fact we can only sign free agents does limit the pool of players that can come in and improve us but for me a striker is a must. McMillan and Sammon have had plenty chances and neither have grasped them.

Sign a first choice striker (not another squad player) that can go into the team alongside McManus and I think we win the league. Don’t sign a striker and it’s a toss of a coin. 

Unless it's a cross border loan,  free agents are usually playing catch up fitness wise, and/or are what's left that nobody wanted. I think we will be hard pushed to get a striker in that will slot straight in of the quality we need. We are also woefully short of full back cover. Its just a pity McMillan we couldn't get McMillan back to St Johnstone.

I would imagine the only reason we have such a small squad is with 7 on the bench anyone above that number isnt making the team and in a sense paying a wage that we shouldnt be but we are taking a risk with it and hoping we dont have any injuries or suspension.

With McMillan i think he links up better with McManus than with Sammon trouble is you never have the 2 of them firing on all cylinders consistently (Sammon and McMillan) which inevitably ends up with one of them being subbed each week for the other.

Edited by AL-FFC

3 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

There's also the fact that in that 18 man squad there are some poor players, McMillan being a prime example. McShane, Telfer haven't contributed much either. 

Don't forget that Doyle, Buchanan and Mcmanus are sitting on 4 yellows, and Durnan on 8. That puts Durnan, on average, at 12 yellows (2 game suspension) for the last two games of the season...which some would argue is good for Falkirk. McManus, Doyle and Buchanan are likely to miss one of the last two, all based on average games per yellow. I'm just flabbergasted that the BoD may really have made a decision to proceed with a squad of 18. Surely M&M, given their experience, have something lined up somewhere?

Id like to think that M&M would/should have things lined up, the BoD giving them the green light to do so is another matter. It wouldn't surprise me if there were an injury to McManus or one or two others sees us scratching around trying to get bodies in at last minute. It's been that kind of bizarre season, where we didn't have enough players, then had plenty to back to not enough. There is also the financial side as to how much did it cost to get rid of the likes of Bell, Tidser, our BoD seem to be very adept at haemorrhaging money. 

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Does ask the interesting question: What is the minimum effective squad size?

Not asking for the smallest, smart size, just the least. Obviously, 2 keepers, perhaps 6 backs, 6 mids and 4 forwards?  It does vary based upon regular formations, but 18 seems the smallest to have any cover/options.

This would only work with a good balance of “backups”. We currently have 1 keeper (fine), 1 striker (McMillan), 1 CB (Hall) and 4 midfielders (Mcshane, Telfer, de vita, Todd). A hopeless mix, and if either of the wing backs were to get injured or straight redded there would be instant panic 

It does seem strange we have plenty in midfield, could it be that the likes of McShane were expected to move in January but it fell through? Judging by what's rumoured wages cost him a move to QoS. But agree it's a very unbalanced and light squad when you look at the bench. 

Edited by ebobsboy

10 hours ago, Wee Sandy said:

Mibbees aye and mibbees naw!! During the John Hughes debacle as manager at Raith we did not have a back up keeper at one point, we had to play Ryan Stevenson in goal against Ayr in a midweek, lost. Ayr went on to pip us at the post for the league!!

Well to be fair you could’ve signed a keeper but didn’t.

8 hours ago, bairn88 said:

This would only work with a good balance of “backups”. We currently have 1 keeper (fine), 1 striker (McMillan), 1 CB (Hall) and 4 midfielders (Mcshane, Telfer, de vita, Todd). A hopeless mix, and if either of the wing backs were to get injured or straight redded there would be instant panic 

Miller can play full back. Longridge can play up front or either side of the midfield

The main issue we have is if both doyle and dixon are unavailable for the same game.

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

Don't forget that Doyle, Buchanan and Mcmanus are sitting on 4 yellows, and Durnan on 8. That puts Durnan, on average, at 12 yellows (2 game suspension) for the last two games of the season...which some would argue is good for Falkirk. McManus, Doyle and Buchanan are likely to miss one of the last two, all based on average games per yellow. I'm just flabbergasted that the BoD may really have made a decision to proceed with a squad of 18. Surely M&M, given their experience, have something lined up somewhere?

Can’t remember when but I’m sure after a certain amount of games the yellows are wiped out. Maybe one for @Skyline Drifter

I don't have any solid evidence for this assumption, but I'm not convinced the squad size was a board decision rather than choice by M&M. I doubt we're so hard up that we needed to save money by getting Brechin to pay a percentage of Aidan Laverty's wages, or Forfar to do the same with Robbie Leitch. Or even Stranraer and Denny Johnstone.
We could have had a much larger squad - for probably very little extra cash - simply by not putting players out on loan.
There's a Meet The Manager event next week, albeit it's being held at a sponsors premises so the numbers will be limited. I'd imagine "why do we have such a small squad?" will be one of the first questions asked of M&M.

This won’t be a proper meet the manager event. It will be meet the managers and take selfies event

Not a manager in the world who would refuse more players if it was going to improve their chances of getting a job longer than the end of the season