The Falkirk FC Thread

On the darren hills with his pal Robson?
On the Davie Weir goes the rumour.

Anyway, Nelson with his back to goal is more effective than Sammon or McMillan. He also works harder than either and gets stuck in more. Would have him ahead of either of those. Him and McManus would be horrific to play against.

I can only assume the person comparing Nelson and Sammon was on the drink last night. Nelson's work rate was fantastic and he loved getting in battles with defenders. In my opinion he's more like McManus than any of our other strikers

I think we need cover for centre midfield as well. There’s a decent chance of both Miller and Gomis being injured/suspended the same week which would leave us with only McShane and Telfer to play in the middle. I assumed reading McCracken’s interview that the players leaving would allow him to bring a couple in but BainsfordBairns post has me terrified that this is it for the rest of the season. Has BfL cash been received and used yet?

Edited by wee_bairn

I think we need cover for centre midfield as well. There’s a decent chance of both Miller and Gomis being injured/suspended the same week which would leave us with only McShane and Telfer to play in the middle. I assumed reading McCracken’s interview that the players leaving would allow him to bring a couple in but BainsfordBairns post has me terrified that this is it for the rest of the season. Has BfL cash been received and used yet?
Remember we still have a loan we can use (Scottish League) and I'm sure if an opportunity arose to get someone in that would compete for a first team place, they'd take it

2 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

General opinion with most fans I know is that we may have spent way over budget keeping McManus, if so let’s hope the BOD recognise the importance of another two players coming in.

I don't know the specific values, but I don't believe we have. I know the club had money set aside for it some time ago and they always appeared confident that he would still be our player at the end of the window. I think I posted something to that effect in response to a QOS troll a few weeks back.

Lee Miller's interview last night seems to hint that he's happy with the squad now. Given the number of changes over the last week I expect FFCTV to ask about further changes in the post-match interview so things may be clearer this evening.

You would think that if its a season long loan deal the wage cost would be agreed at the start of the season. Then you have the choice of recalling or not. If not then he stays and continues on as before. All this pictures of him signing stuff again having already signed a season long deal once already is completely farcical. A break clause is one thing but changing the original signed agreement is taking the piss.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You would think that if its a season long loan deal the wage cost would be agreed at the start of the season. Then you have the choice of recalling or not. If not then he stays and continues on as before. All this pictures of him signing stuff again having already signed a season long deal once already is completely farcical. A break clause is one thing but changing the original signed agreement is taking the piss.

They had us over a barrel, either pay more or we use the recall and send him elsewhere/sell him.

I don't know the specific values, but I don't believe we have. I know the club had money set aside for it some time ago and they always appeared confident that he would still be our player at the end of the window. I think I posted something to that effect in response to a QOS troll a few weeks back.
Lee Miller's interview last night seems to hint that he's happy with the squad now. Given the number of changes over the last week I expect FFCTV to ask about further changes in the post-match interview so things may be clearer this evening.

The biggest gamble is on McManus’s fitness. Gets crocked for any length of time I fear for us

18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The club situation changed to a degree over the season, no one expected us to have the Tony Gallagher money (don't think even Nostradamus could have predicted that one), then we have a potential televised cup tie with Hearts.

I can understand some folks frustrations at Ross County changing the original deal but he is their player and i dont think we would have been any different McManus goals are the difference between going up and staying in this league alone again monetary terms for winning the league. That along is worth the extra.

Could even look at it from a point that Ross County are looking at the books and thinking they need to cut their cloth accordingly and live a bit more within their means.

Edited by AL-FFC

9 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

The club situation changed to a degree over the season, no one expected us to have the Tony Gallagher money (don't think even Nostradamus could have predicted that one), then we have a potential televised cup tie with Hearts.

I can understand some folks frustrations at Ross County changing the original deal but he is their player and i dont think we would have been any different McManus goals are the difference between going up and staying in this league alone again monetary terms for winning the league. That along is worth the extra.

Could even look at it from a point that Ross County are looking at the books and thinking they need to cut their cloth accordingly and live a bit more within their means.

Thats why you need to ensure the deal is right in the first place. Firstly ensure that player can only be recalled if all 3 parties agree and that the details of the deal cant be changed.  Easier to do that at the start of the season when theres less competition for signing him especially when he could only muster 2 goals in 32 appearances last season for the side winning the league.

While County are within their rights to recall the player or not, changing the deal half way through the season just because he is doing well absolutely stinks. A deal should be a deal.

Of course, there is always the possibility that a January renegotiation was scheduled but I would doubt that.

13 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Don't think people have a clue how loans work.

"Can we borrow your player?"

"OK, the terms are..."

"No, we'll set the terms"

"f**k off then"

Depends on the interest at the end of the day.  If theres loads of sides in for him then yes they have all the bargaining power but if your the only team interested and he's out of their plans then its a different story. Who knows.  To me though your as well signing a half season deal than a so called season long deal you have to renogotiate in the middle.

28 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Thats why you need to ensure the deal is right in the first place. Firstly ensure that player can only be recalled if all 3 parties agree and that the details of the deal cant be changed.  Easier to do that at the start of the season when theres less competition for signing him especially when he could only muster 2 goals in 32 appearances last season for the side winning the league.

See thats the thing is the 2 goals in 32 a reflection on him or the team, at the moment we are playing a style thjat suits him but wonder if we carried it on IF we go up then would he still be as prolific.

While County are within their rights to recall the player or not, changing the deal half way through the season just because he is doing well absolutely stinks. A deal should be a deal.

Of course, there is always the possibility that a January renegotiation was scheduled but I would doubt that.

My money would be on Roy McGregor to win the negotiating contest.

Depends on the interest at the end of the day.  If theres loads of sides in for him then yes they have all the bargaining power but if your the only team interested and he's out of their plans then its a different story. Who knows.  To me though your as well signing a half season deal than a so called season long deal you have to renogotiate in the middle.
Any different from Rangers recalling McCrorie early from QOS only to send him to Livi? Or Kiltie recalled early to go back to Killie to play? Or when Motherwell recalled MacLean last year from Morton to sell him to you? The whole point of the recall option is to reassess, particularly if things are going well, or if there is financial benefit to it.

Doing well, parent club decides to capitalise with a recall to their first team, a recall to send to a higher level, or a recall to send somewhere that recoups more of his wages.

That's the risk of loan deals.

The fact Falkirk entertained the renegotiation rather than losing the player shows how important McManus is to your hopes and how much Ross County had you over a barrel with how difficult it can be to sign a replacement goalscorer.

It was probably either that or Goodwillie.

I’d much rather have BSLM up front than Sammon or McMillan. Ideally though would be Longridge and McManus through the middle together.

Miller is way behind those two now IMO. He is done