The Falkirk FC Thread

Stainrod has spent more weeks at No1 for me than the other two.
Running across the park with the ball and a thistle defender on him whilst waving at the Falkirk support, outside of the boot corners, kneeling on the ball, sending two defenders the wrong way when he was on the floor and much much more circus tricks.

That's the moments I go to the football for. The fun has been completely sucked out of Falkirk.

10 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

One hundred percent agree, toddlers are coached  to death from age five to 16/17 to meet criteria set by imposters that know shit about football, and managers that don’t want to loose games.

Are they going to fire them like arrows from some kind of bow? Perhaps release them into the wild perhaps? I think the 2015 cup final game would do great in the open plains of high altitude Chile. 

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

<<<<George Gibson was my favourite ever Falkirk player. Guy just oozed class and never looked like he broke sweat. I do concede however that there's probably a bit of nostalgia involved in that as I was young at the time.

Very hard to pick from Stainrod, Latapy & Crunchie however I look at it from the angle of who I would like back in the team now (at their Falkirk prime & if I could only pick one) and I think that would probably be Simon.

Got to agree, George did ooze class. Made it look easy. Add a little pace to his game and he would have played at the top level.

1 hour ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Only Crunchie would get a regular game in today’s version of the game. The Stairods and Latapys have been pretty much nullified.

All three would find the modern day game piss easy. No tackling or real physical contact compared to getting booted up and down the pitch for 90 mins in their day.Id love to see them playing now god knows how good they would be.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

So many great players have worn the navy blue . Going further back to my youth Wille Whigam, Sammy Wilson, Graig Watson, John Markie, Tiger  McLaughlan, Geordie Gibson, Johny Graham (& his goal machine) to name but a few. The list is endless. For me Crunchie & Simon .,I will probably  never see the likes  of such talented players again in my lifetime

I don't know enough about it to be honest but I stand by what I have said priority has to be getting back to the premier league. 

That’s what was said when they dumped the Academy. Gone well that

Only Crunchie would get a regular game in today’s version of the game. The Stairods and Latapys have been pretty much nullified.

Players with Latapy’s ability would always prosper.

Be a while before we are back in the premier League, we are making it difficult enough trying to get out of league 1. Even if we do go up we will get absolutely horsed in the championship with this squad, so the two year plan might need to be revised or rather chucked in the bin. 

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

<<<<George Gibson was my favourite ever Falkirk player. Guy just oozed class and never looked like he broke sweat. I do concede however that there's probably a bit of nostalgia involved in that as I was young at the time.

Very hard to pick from Stainrod, Latapy & Crunchie however I look at it from the angle of who I would like back in the team now (at their Falkirk prime & if I could only pick one) and I think that would probably be Simon.

Markie - Miller - Gibson my Falkirk all time half back line. There may have been better individual players we have had in each of their positions. But together they were magnificent. What I liked about Gibson was then he had the ball and under pressure he would be able to hold the ball and pass it at time of his choosing. He lost a bit after he broke his leg and was never the same. But fond memories of a great player.

1 hour ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Disagree with that, good or great players will shine through.

The level we are at now has a 34/35yr old Gomis pissing about with the opposite midfield and he isn't in the great category.

The game may have got faster, fitness increased but our top 3 would've pissed this league and the league above and got many more sent off for trying to get the ball off them.

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

This

I still remember practicing the outside of the foot corner at the comely park ash pitch. Was totally amazed when I first saw stainrod do it.

Stainrod for me, probably helped that we had a few brilliant players at the same time and he brought it all together in my opinion.

Also good to see the residents from Cocoon in adding some distant memories.
If you have not seen Whigam or Markie you must be classed as merely a novice.

On 15/01/2020 at 17:46, jagfox99 said:

Pretty much mate. Remember when Killie went mental under Lee Clark as well and signed about 5 right backs?

I'm not sure about Hartkey's trebuchet inducing summer spree but the likes of Sammut ( i think he was a loan?) wouldnt have counted against SPFL domestic temporary transfer limits.

Yeah but I would make the argument that the given the rules only apply to football players most of that squad wouldn't have counted anyway oweing to them being a bunch of beard and tattoo models who could barely run, let alone anything as coordinated as playing a bloody team sport.

48 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Be a while before we are back in the premier League, we are making it difficult enough trying to get out of league 1. Even if we do go up we will get absolutely horsed in the championship with this squad, so the two year plan might need to be revised or rather chucked in the bin. 

Much as I agree the squad wouldn't get out of the championship without some work, I think it would be comfortably mid-table. Outside of the top 4 or 5 the championship isn't that high standard either. Arbroath barely laid a glove on us last weekend and they aren't getting thumped week in week out.