The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

That game agaisnt the **** is definitely a big "what if" moment in the career of Kevin O'Hara. He absolutely rinsed them that day and I wonder if he got his goal in front of the tv cameras what direction it would have gone.

Not that it would have changed his attributes or ability, but certainly would have been a young lad full of confidence, and on a few radars.

Bloody John Baird trying to steal a goal from him

I think the Dunfermline/Sheils fiasco set the lad really back. It is only now he seems to be flourishing. I think he will almost certainly get back into FT football by next season if he wants it enough

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah but they had the ability to knock back the offers they got for him whilst in the championship.  If that had been us he would never have lasted 2 seasons as we would've taken the first half decent bid we were offered.  If we had plqyed the likes of Wallace etc  in our first team for a couple of seasons we may have just got promoted and then been able to sell these players at a higher value but no they were flogged the first chance we could get to fill a financial void created by George Craig ans his cronies.

Auntie had baws scenario tho missing point that Hamilton got promoted, our fruits being sold in the championship were always a book balancer, we never had the luxury of promotion.

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Auntie had baws scenario tho missing point that Hamilton got promoted, our fruits being sold in the championship were always a book balancer, we never had the luxury of promotion.

We never gave ourselves a chance. Hamilton kept their talent got promoted and sold it far huge fees. We sold our talent to the first half decent bid and were stuck in the championship for years.

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think the Dunfermline/Sheils fiasco set the lad really back. It is only now he seems to be flourishing. I think he will almost certainly get back into FT football by next season if he wants it enough

Houston set his career back, loan to East Fife and started to find his feet there but was brought back after January to either sit on the bench or miss out on the squad totally for match day.

He scored a hat trick on a Monday reserve game and couldn't even make the bench on our midweek fixture when we had Baird and McHugh who at that point were struggling to score.

I'm not suggesting he was our saviour, his control and decision making can be wayward but he has proven if given a chance he can score.

11 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Christ the guys scored 7 goals in 20 league apps this season.  It was 5 in 19 until he scored twice against as we saw on saturday a pretty mediocre Arbroath side.   Some people on here talking as if he's some sort of superstar. Once he starts getting around the 20 mark in a season then maybe I'll start thinking about what could've been. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Yes because they kept their young talent instead of selling it to the first team that came along. Its not rocket science. Do you really think that if James McCarthy had been playing for us he would've lasted two seasons in the championship?  He's have been shipped off  down south for a couple of hundred grand.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

29 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yes because they kept their young talent instead of selling it to the first team that came along. Its not rocket science. Do you really think that if James McCarthy had been playing for us he would've lasted two seasons in the championship?  He's have been shipped off  down south for a couple of hundred grand.

Hamilton got promoted

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah but they had the ability to knock back the offers they got for him whilst in the championship.  If that had been us he would never have lasted 2 seasons as we would've taken the first half decent bid we were offered.  If we had plqyed the likes of Wallace etc  in our first team for a couple of seasons we may have just got promoted and then been able to sell these players at a higher value but no they were flogged the first chance we could get to fill a financial void created by George Craig ans his cronies.

It has always been so. We are seen as the place to pick up a bargain and its well deserved.

Obvious to all that saw these players that they were looking at future Scottish internationals. But first offer, don't bother waiting for a bidding war and it's a case of on you go.

Stuart Kennedy to Aberdeen for 18k must go down as the biggest steal and am hard pushed to think of any other transfer in Scottish football that was so undersold.

It was made all the harder to take with him joining the most despised football club in Scotland. Not a football team but an assemblage of whinging cheats. Not many sides can claim that fans from both sides at games cheer together when Aberdeen lose.

1 hour ago, FFCinthearea said:

O'Hara, I think, falls into the Kenny Deuchar mode for me.  Ineffective for us and improves dramatically when he leaves.

He's still to do anything on a consistant basis . And the vast majority of Deuchars goals were scored in league one or league two. 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It has always been so. We are seen as the place to pick up a bargain and its well deserved.

Obvious to all that saw these players that they were looking at future Scottish internationals. But first offer, don't bother waiting for a bidding war and it's a case of on you go.

Stuart Kennedy to Aberdeen for 18k must go down as the biggest steal and am hard pushed to think of any other transfer in Scottish football that was so undersold.

It was made all the harder to take with him joining the most despised football club in Scotland. Not a football team but an assemblage of whinging cheats. Not many sides can claim that fans from both sides at games cheer together when Aberdeen lose.

I don't know if the cash we got for Gary Gillespie was decent or not (before my time), but I was absolutely furious at the pennies we got for Brian Irvine and Brian Martin.

16 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I don't know if the cash we got for Gary Gillespie was decent or not (before my time), but I was absolutely furious at the pennies we got for Brian Irvine and Brian Martin.

Gillespie was 70k absolute robbery even then it was on the never never over a couple of seasons with no sell on. The zip on the back of the directors heads must have been very obvious.

Think the Tony Gallagher one is coming on to be a bit of a steal as well, there was an article that Liverpool were looking to splash millions on a young left back but after the display Gallagher is putting on they pulled out 250k (in fairness i never really seen what the hype was about him)

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Did Crunchie not go to Chelsea for something ridiculous, like £30k?

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You're surely answering you're own question though by stating that we had to sell to fill the void? Hamilton presumably (I've no idea) were in a fairly comfortable position financially to be able to knock back the early bids? If not, I'm pretty sure that their fans wouldn't have been very happy if they went bust when they could've accepted decent offers!

Without knowing exact figures, I think we did OK with Kingsley and McGrandles, particularly with add-on's. As it turns out the add-on's with McGrandles weren't great due to his injury though which is a pity because, for me, he was the best of them.

Do you think we should have held on to Blair, Biabi & Gallagher or taken the money offered?