The Falkirk FC Thread

20 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

I’d be enquiring about Mullen from St Mirren. Apparently told he can leave but I’d imagine he’ll end up at a championship team but I’d still ask the question.

Would take him but can't see us bringing in another striker unless McMillan gets punted to St. Patrick's by St. Johnstone as was mooted or McManus gets punted/recalled by Ross County. Sammon we are stuck with regardless. 

We’ll need to disagree on this one.

Even the elite teams need the home talent, Foden, Kane etc its what fans identify with.

The money was there to deal with the Academy free of charge to the club, the MSG either through stubbornness, stupidity or something I’m not aware of, wouldn’t even sniff it.

If you bring up that offer now they just blank the question.

Who was offering to foot the bill for the academy?

I think cracks has had a word in Durnan's ear. He was very 'safety first' on Saturday. Not dribbling out from defence, or stuff like that. If he was under any pressure he launched it into touch.

Maybe, if he rethinks his moaning c**t attitude also, there could be a player there.

Maybe, Arbroath scoring only 18 goals in 21 games shows he was just up against shit opposition. [emoji2368]

15 minutes ago, mic_17_uk said:

I think cracks has had a word in Durnan's ear. He was very 'safety first' on Saturday. Not dribbling out from defence, or stuff like that. If he was under any pressure he launched it into touch.

Maybe, if he rethinks his moaning c**t attitude also, there could be a player there.

Maybe, Arbroath scoring only 18 goals in 21 games shows he was just up against shit opposition. emoji2368.png

Couldn’t agree more. I still want rid if Hall is any better, but was clearly told to boot the ball into touch under any pressure on Saturday and listened, and our support still lambasted him for that approach. On that (let’s face it) atrocious pitch, it was the perfect strategy and he barely put a foot wrong. It was captain man bun in the first half who came wandering out of defence in the first half and almost fucked us 

11 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The funding wouldnt have stopped without elite status it just wouldnt have been as much.  You just cut your cloth to suit the budget you have. Look at Raith who have hardly a two pennies to rub together. Not even in the second tier and yet they are producing good young players like Tait and Bowie.  I agree that now is not the time to resurrect the academy but once we are out of this league we should be looking to get some sort of youth system resurrected as soon as possible,

True enough, but we also killed the Raith young team because we had to save funds because things were that dire. The group youth model is working OK, but as you note, having some local talent playing really gets the community to buy in. The current MSG team of journeymen is more of a turn-off to the community, almost a poke in the eye, after the sucess of the Academy.

No doubt I’m opening another can of worms here but I noticed that Kevin O’Hara scored a double for the second time in the past week for Alloa in the Scottish Championship.
Remember a time when the consensus on here that he wasn’t good enough for us and should be playing in a lower division?
I bet he’s having a little chuckle about how things have worked out....

O’Haras current purple patch for Alloa changes absolutely nothing. Everybody wanted him to do well for us, well apart from Edi but he’s just a c**t, but apart from his first 2 games as a really raw 17 year old he never showed us anything or that he’d ever be good enough for the second tier. He played in 43 games for us albeit most from the bench and didn’t score and he also played 35 games during 2 league 1 spells scoring 3 goals and never showing much at all either.

Perhaps he needed the motivation of moving on somewhere else or going part time to give him the kick up the arse to get his career back on track but the last few years even taking into account how god awful we were he was not good enough.

13 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The foundation is there already.   To me Craig Campbell with his foot in both camps saw an opportunity .  Close the academy and see his original baby the foundation blossom as the only real youth football programme under the falkirk umbrella.  And thats basically whats happened. Problem is you're very unlikely to get the players of the required standard hanging about long in the foundation as they all get poached by the proper academies.

Your are correct , Craig Campbell sold the idea of closing the academy to the MSG and they bought it , starry eyed amidst his PowerPoint slides.

Extremely short sighted and created by a man who according to him hadn't a clue about running a football club.

Oh and yes, a community youth programme is a long, long way from being an academy.  

CC's legacy will be with us for many years.

4 hours ago, Russ said:

O’Haras current purple patch for Alloa changes absolutely nothing. Everybody wanted him to do well for us, well apart from Edi but he’s just a c**t, but apart from his first 2 games as a really raw 17 year old he never showed us anything or that he’d ever be good enough for the second tier. He played in 43 games for us albeit most from the bench and didn’t score and he also played 35 games during 2 league 1 spells scoring 3 goals and never showing much at all either.

Perhaps he needed the motivation of moving on somewhere else or going part time to give him the kick up the arse to get his career back on track but the last few years even taking into account how god awful we were he was not good enough.

Houston destroyed him by bringing him back from East Fife early when he was hitting some form. 

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Houston destroyed him by bringing him back from East Fife early when he was hitting some form. 

Whilst I agree that it was silly bringing him back from his loan early not to play him he had plenty of chances after that including a loan to Stenny where he never kicked a ball.  He's scored what 8 goals in 80 odd first team appearances so I don't think we're missing much.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

17 hours ago, MrDust said:

Yep as 16/17 yr old as championship player, 60 odd games versus 40 odd top league. The big difference is they got promoted and he prove himself as a 18/19 yr old  in the top league that meant Celtic(I'd say also Rangers but the McGeadyiness made it only Celtic) would sign him.

As a 16/17 yr old in the championship Hamilton would've got  what we have in the past, the key is promotion and him showing he can do it with step up and having him tied up 

As for Longridge, makes the squad stronger. We have options on the bench other than the same subs week in week out who were never really challenging the starting 11

Yeah but they had the ability to knock back the offers they got for him whilst in the championship.  If that had been us he would never have lasted 2 seasons as we would've taken the first half decent bid we were offered.  If we had plqyed the likes of Wallace etc  in our first team for a couple of seasons we may have just got promoted and then been able to sell these players at a higher value but no they were flogged the first chance we could get to fill a financial void created by George Craig ans his cronies.

11 hours ago, Stainrod said:

Who was offering to foot the bill for the academy?

Was a complete embarrassment at last years EGM when Andy Thomson(finance guy) admitted he knew very little details about the plans for a group of businessmen to cover the costs for the academy

That game agaisnt the **** is definitely a big "what if" moment in the career of Kevin O'Hara. He absolutely rinsed them that day and I wonder if he got his goal in front of the tv cameras what direction it would have gone.

Not that it would have changed his attributes or ability, but certainly would have been a young lad full of confidence, and on a few radars.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

That game agaisnt the **** is definitely a big "what if" moment in the career of Kevin O'Hara. He absolutely rinsed them that day and I wonder if he got his goal in front of the tv cameras what direction it would have gone.

Not that it would have changed his attributes or ability, but certainly would have been a young lad full of confidence, and on a few radars.

He seemed to bulk up and lose the electric pace he had when he first came into the first team.  Certainly wasnt the same player.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He seemed to bulk up and lose the electric pace he had when he first came into the first team.  Certainly wasnt the same player.

The potential was there at that point for sure. Fast, very direct, not scared to run right at defenders. Had he carried on in that vein hed have become the type of player you love to watch. 

He had to be emptied from us though regardless how it looks with hindsight. He was totally stagnant