The Falkirk FC Thread

I respect the post but to say at this stage reinstating the academy would be easy is just not possible. I don’t think we’ll see our academy for a long time, and it’s an absolute disgrace.

Do you think if it was introduced in some form the fan would really get behind it in what ever form it took? Is it only now many see the real benefit it brought?

Its a huge part of the identity of the club, we're full of journeymen at the moment with Mutch the only real 'prospect' for us to see developing. Tbh, i didnt even mind the 'Brentford model' idea but it was so poorly executed that it was madness to continue.

There's simply no pathway to the first team for young players now and not even a reserve side so why would any promising young player sign for us? Club is an absolute shambles.

Probably a very unpopular opinion but I really couldn't give a hoot whether we have an academy at the moment. I would rather see us climb up the leagues and get in to the premiership before we even think about establishing an academy again. Ask yourself this, would you really trust the MSG to run it properly, given they decided to ruthlessly get rid of it without any form of consultation? Our full focus should be on climbing up the leagues anything out with is just a pipe dream.  

Edited by Stuperman01

2 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Unfortunately until we find a true Falkirk supporter(s) who is willing to heavily invest in our club, we will continue with the appalling cross contamination of bad feeling with all factions.

Just picked up on a few articles about how successfully teams like St Johnstone, Hamilton, St Mirren, Motherwell are run, and shows what a basket case we are.

We are entering whats probably our most important half season for a long bloody time, and we are signing players like De Vita, Ben Hall, and wrangling with the likes of Longridge.

How far have we fallen, from last seasons demonstrations, the fake takeover bid, and a new chairman we’ve not heard a peep from ( sorry apart from his maiden speech criticism of us again) what a bloody club. 

Forget to say only four months till the begging bowl comes out, Community and all the good buzz words here we come 

Academy apart its not heavy investment we desperately need its making the right decisions to maximise what we have got. At the moment we are in a league where we have probably 3 times the budget of the next biggest side and yet we have already lost 3 times and are at present only in second place.  We had the second biggest budget in the championship two seasons ago and yet nearly went down. You can fling all the cash you want at this but if you continue making ridiculous decisions then it wont make any difference. We badly need to buy out the clowns on the msg which isnt really silly cash is it?

Edited by Shadwell Dog

9 hours ago, GeordieBairn said:

Totally agree, not an easy process. Should absolutely never have been at the point where we need to completely rebuild one of the most successful academies in the country.

The academy before had a large amount of funding from the SFA which we wouldnt be getting now either. 

And this weeks winner of the most appropriate user name is...

Now if I had been called Situational Irony Bairn then bingo!

However sarcasm is often mistaken for irony, sarcasm is actually a form of verbal irony, but sarcasm is intentionally insulting which I wasn’t doing to my fellow fan here, probably because zzz... ...

2 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

I cant speculate whether it’s silly or a huge sum of cash, but it’s been painted that our two major shareholders are not prepared to even consider selling unless the offer is one they can’t turn down. 

I can't see Martin Ritchie holding out for a fortune. Guys loaded as it is.

Probably a very unpopular opinion but I really couldn't give a hoot whether we have an academy at the moment. I would rather see us climb up the leagues and get in to the premiership before we even think about establishing an academy again. Ask yourself this, would you really trust the MSG to run it properly, given they decided to ruthlessly get rid of it without any form of consultation? Our full focus should be on climbing up the leagues anything out with is just a pipe dream.  

Sometimes you have to look ahead and put the plan in place for the next stage now though.

If we did start the Academy, the conveyor belt isn’t just going to start producing instantly. We have to start the process of winning back the local kids to our club for whatever league we are in.

That decision by the MSG was the poorest they have made in our club, it’s put us back decades. Even Dundee Utd have teams in our town ffs.

Our team needs it’s roots back or we are continuously going to moan about whatever journeyman we bring to our club.

The fact that we were in touch of the top at xmas was more down to the other teams than Ray's managerial skills.
I get your point though.
I'd agree with this. As a Raith fan I'd only expect Falkirk to improve the fact you lot are a point behind is more down to our poor performances particularly away from home.

1 minute ago, foreverarover said:
On 11/01/2020 at 11:20, BairnBrainBrian said:
The fact that we were in touch of the top at xmas was more down to the other teams than Ray's managerial skills.
I get your point though.

I'd agree with this. As a Raith fan I'd only expect Falkirk to improve the fact you lot are a point behind is more down to our poor performances particularly away from home.

You also have to add into the fact we had a buffoon of a manager that didnt know how to get the best out of the players he has at his disposal for near half the season. Though also classed as being "within touching distance of the top of the league at christmas" as an achievement.

41 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Sometimes you have to look ahead and put the plan in place for the next stage now though.

If we did start the Academy, the conveyor belt isn’t just going to start producing instantly. We have to start the process of winning back the local kids to our club for whatever league we are in.

That decision by the MSG was the poorest they have made in our club, it’s put us back decades. Even Dundee Utd have teams in our town ffs.

Our team needs it’s roots back or we are continuously going to moan about whatever journeyman we bring to our club.

The only thing we should be looking at is getting out League 1 that's not a given this year at all. There are rumours of us having to go PT if we don't go up so I highly doubt an academy is on the agenda. Like I said I would rather focus on climbing the leagues rather than anything else. 

The academy was good at the time and probably kept us afloat for a few years, what it didn't do was get us out of the Championship for 10 years. I think closing it was completely wrong especially the way it was handed however I have no appetite at the moment for it to be established. We should look at the Stenny model and try and make some money with the youth set up that way, their community programme is pretty good. If we get a player coming through the ranks from that then it will be a bonus. This need to have an academy is only for top tier clubs which sadly we are just not at the moment. 

People need to realise that journeymen are required to get out of these leagues whether they like it or not. 

26 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
On 11/01/2020 at 11:20, BairnBrainBrian said:
I get your point though.

I do  think it will come down to Raith and FFC for the top spot. I doubt that we could be as poor in the 2nd half of the season as we have been so far, and for me it is a case of hoping that we improve a little bit more than Raith do.

The only thing we should be looking at is getting out League 1 that's not a given this year at all. There are rumours of us having to go PT if we don't go up so I highly doubt an academy is on the agenda. Like I said I would rather focus on climbing the leagues rather than anything else. 
The academy was good at the time and probably kept us afloat for a few years, what it didn't do was get us out of the Championship for 10 years. I think closing it was completely wrong especially the way it was handed however I have no appetite at the moment for it to be established. We should look at the Stenny model and try and make some money with the youth set up that way, their community programme is pretty good. If we get a player coming through the ranks from that then it will be a bonus. This need to have an academy is only for top tier clubs which sadly we are just not at the moment. 
People need to realise that journeymen are required to get out of these leagues whether they like it or not. 

We’ll need to disagree on this one.

Even the elite teams need the home talent, Foden, Kane etc its what fans identify with.

The money was there to deal with the Academy free of charge to the club, the MSG either through stubbornness, stupidity or something I’m not aware of, wouldn’t even sniff it.

If you bring up that offer now they just blank the question.

26 minutes ago, Stuperman01 said:

The first part of that is down to the current MSG and their lack of not willing to sell, if theres no movement on that front then yes the wilderness years do beckon for us for that the blame can be laid solely at the MSG as lets face it they just arent interested in the club any longer.

As for the journeymen part they are that for a reason or they wouldnt be with us and playing at a higher level.  I would like to hope that they can get us out this league at first time of asking but we shouldnt be in this position in the first place.

Either way to look at it those in the MSG have lost interest and to give any quarter to the fanbase in their mindset would be conceding defeat and giving the fans what they want (in this case their heads on a platter by way of them selling).

The board are old and tired and make old and tired decisions repeatedly. For want of any forward planning or effective leadership they have sure sucked any pleasure out of following the club.

Tbh if it weren't for FFC I wouldn't be particularly bothered about football, and due to work and location I've only averaged 2 or 3 home games a season a while now. The season ticket being more of an emotional investment than anything else.

I'd buy into a fan-based bid a la BtB certainly, but I understand why such groups would be reluctant to bother dealing with the current incumbents. The way they buried the last scheme with the MC 'bid' was a bit depressing quite frankly.

What they probably thought a piece of deliciously artful chicanery was pretty much immediately seen through as bullshit with a bored housewifey edge.

I'm still not certain what binds the msg together or what the intention behind it is, given the lack of progress made under them. Comes across a bit lodge-y tbqh.

On a more positive note, hopefully they all die off as a species fairly soon and we get rocking again.

In the meantime, shit or get off the pot cuntos

30 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

We’ll need to disagree on this one.

Even the elite teams need the home talent, Foden, Kane etc its what fans identify with.

The money was there to deal with the Academy free of charge to the club, the MSG either through stubbornness, stupidity or something I’m not aware of, wouldn’t even sniff it.

If you bring up that offer now they just blank the question.

Absolutely respect your thoughts on this however we aren't anywhere near the level of our own premiership teams let alone those down south. As for identifying with players, a few aside, we didn't hold on to them long enough for that and the ones we did were still given shit from some of our support (I remember hearing some of the shouts at Sibbald which were totally out of order). 

As a previous poster had stated the funding would have stopped from the SFA when we lost out 'elite' status. 

The MSG are the core problem at the club the repetitive theme from their disastrous spell is really unforgiving. Fans of any other club would have run these owners out of town. 

Edited by Stuperman01

3 hours ago, Stuperman01 said:

We had an academy with a great name of giving youth a chance pre Houston but it would take years to get that back again, I'd like to have smaller set up of some sort and a reserve team but biggest the issue is getting out this league, so it's the least of our issues for now.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I can't see Martin Ritchie holding out for a fortune. Guys loaded as it is.

I don't think MR or Sandy Alexander want to sell, both don't see £ signs like others will and will probably remain in some capacity forever.

Two extremely successful men in business and not replicating that in the roulette world of football,tbh they have had odds stacked in their favour and failed last season and started this season similar and obviously failed with McKinnon. This year academy sale normal get out will be if M&M achieve what a good manager would've done with our budget available.

The MSG helps them hide behind who is fully to blame tho, can we really pin on who is fully to blame for our fuk ups ?

Now if I had been called Situational Irony Bairn then bingo!

However sarcasm is often mistaken for irony, sarcasm is actually a form of verbal irony, but sarcasm is intentionally insulting which I wasn’t doing to my fellow fan here, probably because zzz... ...

Perhaps I should change my user name to Sarcastic Perrin.