The Falkirk FC Thread

To think the shite we have put up with for years the threats about not going if DG signs is embarrassing. Maybe if folk had been stronger in the summer then we wouldn’t have people in charge contemplating signing him.

38 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I really dont understand the Clyde fans enthusiasm for Goodwillie. If we signed him, he stayed for years and come 2025 I was getting the itch to go back, and folded, I would sit in the stands sheepishly, feeling pretty ashamed and offer that man no enouragement whatsoever. 

What is it about football that makes you actively talk up someone who, in terms of normal society deserves to be treated like..... well a sex offender. 

Do decent, normal Clyde fans act like this too? There are a couple I can think of but I won't tag them in here as its an unsavoury debate. If they read it they can chime in. 

Get Goodwillie tae f**k. 

It's genuine hero worship down Broadwood way for David Goodwillie. Pretty much right across the board. 

There's at best a nihilistic, amoral attitude along the lines of 'look we are taking all the heat on this because we did it but any support would love a guy who does for them what Goodie does for us, and anyone who pretends otherwise is lying'. That's pretty much the attitude, including from a good friend of mine. 

But he scores goals for them and was crucial to them getting out the bottom league (and away from the danger of the bottom of it, to boot). So it literally trumps all other concerns. 

42 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

To think the shite we have put up with for years the threats about not going if DG signs is embarrassing. Maybe if folk had been stronger in the summer then we wouldn’t have people in charge contemplating signing him.

I think on most peoples' moral compass this would rank as worse than losing a few games or boardroom incompetence. I'm not going to any home games and trying not to put money into the club at all (admittedly caved on the Scottish Cup ties), but I couldn't go to away games and stomach supporting Goodwillie or, even worse, watching our fans glorifying him and his actions as a 'wind up' to try and be controversial/offend. "No one likes us we don't care" can be acceptable if it's cause your team is battling a points deduction or has a couple of hard men in midfield, but in this instance is makes me feel uncomfortable, and I don't use that phrasing lightly.

I agree with your second sentence to an extent but you certainly can't put me in that group. I also think it's unfair to say "buy a season ticket = you made your bed and lie in it" re signing a rapist.

Edited by Marshmallo

Just now, Hughsie said:

Isn’t this whole Goodwillie thing just a load of shite someone has made up on the internet?

We’ll not be spending money on a player - especially a striker when we’ve got a number on the books already.

Was just about to post this.  It sounds total bollocks. Semi plausible as I'm sure he's still around the Raploch somewhere so twenty minutes to training. 

No way it's happening. Which is a good thing.

Am with BPM on this one its been an effort of someone being on the windup.  can we move onto something else see we have injury concerns this weekend over Toshney, MacLean and Longridge unfortunately Durnan is injury free ...sh*te

1 hour ago, Andrew Wells said:

If given a choice between signing Goodwillie and watching Morton take another ten goal pumping, I'd take the 10 goal pumping every fucking time.

Liar

On 22/12/2019 at 14:13, Old John said:

Tony Wallace deserves a mention for his performance yesterday. I thought his physical presence done us a real favour and Airdrie's highlights package reveals the value of that at our second goal. Wallace wins a header high up the pitch to put Goodwillie on for the shot while Airdrie's defenders are on their heels. Sometimes a bit of presence is all it takes to nick a goal or two when you can't break a team down by another means.

I really dont understand the Clyde fans enthusiasm for Goodwillie. If we signed him, he stayed for years and come 2025 I was getting the itch to go back, and folded, I would sit in the stands sheepishly, feeling pretty ashamed and offer that man no enouragement whatsoever. 
What is it about football that makes you actively talk up someone who, in terms of normal society deserves to be treated like..... well a sex offender. 
Do decent, normal Clyde fans act like this too? There are a couple I can think of but I won't tag them in here as its an unsavoury debate. If they read it they can chime in. 

Get Goodwillie tae f**k. 

There’s a sociological theory about football that I’ve got in my dissertation that for most football becomes a “moral holiday” be that the abuse the shout at players, officials, etc or the past actions of a player.

It's possible that we would be in the Lowland League without DGW, and now we are in the League One and employ its top scorer. There is no doubting his footballing abilities.

In spite of that, I have never been comfortable with him playing for us and would rather he wasn't a Clyde player.

I recognise that this is a minority view among Clyde fans and have never gone on about it at length as I don't want to give the impression of thinking that I know better than those that part with their money week after week to watch the team while I only attend, maybe, once a season. Just my opinion.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

45 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn93 said:

There’s a sociological theory about football that I’ve got in my dissertation that for most football becomes a “moral holiday” be that the abuse the shout at players, officials, etc or the past actions of a player.

Some clubs will employ anyone as long as they're decent at kicking a ball.  Lee Hughes killed someone whilst drink driving and went on the run. Got sentenced to 6 years and yet was picked up straight away by Oldham as soon as he got out.  Paul McGowan was done for attacking police officers twice and yet Dundee still kept him on the books whilst anyone in any other job would've been booted into touch. There is no morality in football off or on the pitch unfortunately.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Some clubs will employ anyone as long as they're decent at kicking a ball.  Lee Hughes killed someone whilst drink driving and went on the run. Got sentenced to 6 years and yet was picked up straight away by Oldham as soon as he got out.  Paul McGowan was done for attacking police officers twice and yet Dundee still kept him on the books whilst anyone in any other job would've been booted into touch. There is no morality in football off or on the pitch unfortunately.

The goalkeeper at Plymouth Argyle who was jailed for several years for drink driving that resulted in a few fatalities, then when released was welcomed back and made club captain, is another case in point.

3 minutes ago, Top Bins said:

The goalkeeper at Plymouth Argyle who was jailed for several years for drink driving that resulted in a few fatalities, then when released was welcomed back and made club captain, is another case in point.

Declan gallagher and the livi manager martindale are two currently involved in top flight football with unsavoury pasts.

1 minute ago, champions said:

Declan gallagher and the livi manager martindale are two currently involved in top flight football with unsavoury pasts.

And Alan Lithgow.  Christ flashing at 4 women some pushing prams and yet the likes of livi dont bat an eyelid in giving him a career.

1 minute ago, champions said:

And a serious assault conviction plus a spell inside didn’t prevent Scotland awarding Gallagher with a cap recently.  Moral high ground? Not too many on here throwing accusations the way of our national team......

Just now, HonestAl said:

And a serious assault conviction plus a spell inside didn’t prevent Scotland awarding Gallagher with a cap recently.  Moral high ground? Not too many on here throwing accusations the way of our national team......

Aye battered a guy senseless with a baseball bat.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

And Alan Lithgow.  Christ flashing at 4 women some pushing prams and yet the likes of livi dont bat an eyelid in giving him a career.

Jeez. Didnt know this, was even put on the sex offenders list. Four separate occasions as well, the guy has some underlying problems and one for watching.