The Falkirk FC Thread

All after 7 games, I dunno where you are getting the 12 punted figures from but we paid some of the players to go and got players in without paying them ?
Kerr, Muirhead, Miller, Gasparotto, Austin, Craigen, Hippolyte

Muirhead was there for the full season and wasn’t punted until January this year by McKinnon. His last start was home to Dunfermline where he and Dennon Lewis done their best to make sure we got pumped.

You are missing Conrad Balatoni, Cameron Blues and Tony Gallacher though.

10 minutes ago, Russ said:

Muirhead was there for the full season and wasn’t punted until January this year by McKinnon. His last start was home to Dunfermline where he and Dennon Lewis done their best to make sure we got pumped.

You are missing Conrad Balatoni, Cameron Blues and Tony Gallacher though.

Balatoni's contract was up before January, Blues was a loan to Edinburgh city along with Scott Shepherd where the norm is a percentage of wage not all.

2 hours ago, MrDust said:

All after 7 games, I dunno where you are getting the 12 punted figures from but we paid some of the players to go and got players in without paying them ?

Kerr, Muirhead, Miller, Gasparotto, Austin, Craigen, Hippolyte

Gallacher, Ballatoni, McBride and Shepherd was punted out on loan. Thats 11 my 12 was an approx. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

13 hours ago, squeekybairn said:

at least we were in the play offs back then........oh, and in a higher division. Say what you want about the guy, perhaps his signings weren't the greatest, but by god did we play attractive, competitive, attacking football. Houston's reign was the last time I felt entertained watching our team. Going toe to toe with rangers, hearts, hibs and coming away with results seems so so distant now. Perhaps if we'd kept houston and got rid of the puppet masters instead we would still be playing those types of games. 

Fucking hell did you only watch those games that season? in fact are you peter Houston?  his football might have got us results but it was fucking stinking. brutal. I went to more games that season than any other but I often caught myself looking at my phone more than I needed to. it was just slow labored square passes. long throws into the box and long balls to the corners. we turned it on for the rangers and hibs games.

the cup final itself we were on top against 10 men then left ourselves wide open at the back

a year later we went to rugby park 90 minuets and only a draw away from promotion yet we were dead and buried by 30 Min mark against a team who had been shite all year. that was a brutal end to a great season 

38 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Fucking hell did you only watch those games that season? in fact are you peter Houston?  his football might have got us results but it was fucking stinking. brutal. I went to more games that season than any other but I often caught myself looking at my phone more than I needed to. it was just slow labored square passes. long throws into the box and long balls to the corners. we turned it on for the rangers and hibs games.

the cup final itself we were on top against 10 men then left ourselves wide open at the back

a year later we went to rugby park 90 minuets and only a draw away from promotion yet we were dead and buried by 30 Min mark against a team who had been shite all year. that was a brutal end to a great season 

This is an awful take. His football was nowhere near fucking stinking brutal. We definitely didn’t play some of the prettiest stuff we’ve played in the last 20 years but we had spades of drive and effort which was far more enjoyable to watch than passing it around the back 5 which seemingly counts as “good” football nowadays

The season we lost Vaulks and finished second to Hibs was murder to watch with few enjoyable games IMO.

The season before was brilliant. Of course getting humped off Killie was shite but the number of last ditch goals etc, beating Hibs to second place and the playoffs agains them, beating the **** twice at TFS, Wills absolute fucking screamer at Ibrox, Leahys goals, the number of 4 and 5 goal games we were involved in was mental... Sir Bobs supersub antics at the tail end of the season. If folk didnt like that season I dont know what they want from football.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Gallacher, Ballatoni, McBride and Shepherd was punted out on loan. Thats 11 my 12 was an approx. 

7 punted and 2 of which paid to go, 2 out of contract free to go and 2 out on loan, if you think that gave us cost neutral with what we got in then you must be using a George Craig calculator

Thinking ahead we need a new RB and CB, Doyle and durnan to go (if someone will buy them)

A holding mid to support Gomis, and replace miller, someone confident with moving and working the ball.

I’d like to see more of Macmillan, as I think he and McManus could do a job up front. But those are the three positions we drastically need addressed.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

The season we lost Vaulks and finished second to Hibs was murder to watch with few enjoyable games IMO.

The season before was brilliant. Of course getting humped off Killie was shite but the number of last ditch goals etc, beating Hibs to second place and the playoffs agains them, beating the **** twice at TFS, Wills absolute fucking screamer at Ibrox, Leahys goals, the number of 4 and 5 goal games we were involved in was mental... Sir Bobs supersub antics at the tail end of the season. If folk didnt like that season I dont know what they want from football.

2-0 down to hibs at Easter Road, 86 minutes on the clock, down to ten men. The rest is 'Hibstory'. No matter what happens from here on in, we did not lose that game and that cost them 2nd place. 

Edited by PipoIsABairn

46 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn93 said:

Thinking ahead we need a new RB and CB, Doyle and durnan to go (if someone will buy them)

A holding mid to support Gomis, and replace miller, someone confident with moving and working the ball.

I’d like to see more of Macmillan, as I think he and McManus could do a job up front. But those are the three positions we drastically need addressed.

Buy them ??!! You could not pay clubs to take any of this lot off our hands. And the very last thing we need is another holding midfielder. It's a moot point whether we should be bothering with one at all, given the absolute dross we are coming up against every week, but Gomis could probably do that job fine if absolutely necessary. We are sorely lacking even a scintilla of creativity, craft, guile, pace. Middle to front we are completely clueless, exemplified by that abysmal hoofball last Saturday. But given that we have no money and a ton of players on two year contracts, we won't be getting any of that either. The remit of whoever is appointed manager will be to get more from the current playing squad.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

McHugh is my all time favourite footballer.

Buy them ??!! You could not pay clubs to take any of this lot off our hands. And the very last thing we need is another holding midfielder. It's a moot point whether we should be bothering with one at all, given the absolute dross we are coming up against every week, but Gomis could probably do that job fine if absolutely necessary. We are sorely lacking even a scintilla of creativity, craft, guile, pace. Middle to front we are completely clueless, exemplified by that abysmal hoofball last Saturday. But given that we have no money and a ton of players on two year contracts, we won't be getting any of that either. The remit of whoever is appointed manager will be to get more from the current playing squad.

I would love to see the back of those two, but, like you say who is going to pay for them, they are atrocious.

Perhaps im confusing that season with the previous one , happy to be corrected tho.
Vaulks was such a huge loss to the squad. Like replacing a 3l V8 engine with a wee 1l from a fiesta , the difference was obvious

24 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Perhaps im confusing that season with the previous one , happy to be corrected tho.
Vaulks was such a huge loss to the squad. Like replacing a 3l V8 engine with a wee 1l from a fiesta , the difference was obvious

It's not until you don't have a single player with that drive and attitude that you realise how important it is. I sometimes used to think football commentators liked to give too much weighting to certain intangibles like crowd, guys who are good in the dressing room etc but when you are watching a rudderless team you realise that guys like Vaulks probably projected their own standards onto others and got an ectra few % out of them. 

2 hours ago, PipoIsABairn said:

2-0 down to hibs at Easter Road, 86 minutes on the clock, down to ten men. The rest is 'Hibstory'. No matter what happens from here on in, we did not lose that game and that cost them 2nd place. 

After reading this I watched the highlights of that game. What a contrast, that was a squad that fought and battled for everything, the complete opposite of our current lot.

Well this is going to be interesting, the Brentford model didnt work so lets see what happens with this one:

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-look-to-adopt-new-football-model-1-5060956

Club director Lex Miller told the Falkirk Herald: “At the moment nothing has changed on the manager front. There have been more than 30 applicants but we are still working through the process.

“The board is looking at a new model and a new football strategy, we want to change the whole philosophy at the club.

“We need to learn from the mistakes of last year and we have to see what type of manager fits into our thinking going forward.”

Hes probably played as much for you as he did for us by now, but McMillan was at his best for us playing behind a main striker (for us it was Tony Watt).

It's not until you don't have a single player with that drive and attitude that you realise how important it is. I sometimes used to think football commentators liked to give too much weighting to certain intangibles like crowd, guys who are good in the dressing room etc but when you are watching a rudderless team you realise that guys like Vaulks probably projected their own standards onto others and got an ectra few % out of them. 

100% agree . Some players, from messi all the way down to your resident knob at the fives can’t hide their annoyance at having to play with lesser quality players alongside them . And that attitude can drag a whole team down .
But with vaulks , like all good captains here was someone who had none of that
Football is played by humans and thats why we love it