The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I tend to agree with that. Most of the squad are tied up on two year deals so the likelihood of making wholesale changes next season is limited. Unless of course we have the cash to pay off a third set of players for the third year in succession, which considering the AGM figures looks unlikely.

So whoever takes charge won't be able to gut the playing squad as Hartley & McKinnon did. Their job will be to motivate and organise the existing players. If they show signs of doing that in the next few weeks then they should get the rest of the season to finish the job.

If we go up, they get a new deal. If we don't, advertise again and take it from there. To me the job is theirs to lose unless there is an absolute standout candidate from the list of applicants. And even then,  if we rack up performances and results in the interim then M&M should be in pole position.

Tomorrow may only be three points for our club but I think it's huge for them. There's likely to be only one week or maybe two before a decision is made on their futures so they need to impress against Stranraer and maybe East Fife.

Good luck to both. 

This is it. We are diving right into the unknown here, both in terms of the quality/ability of the two guys we have in interim charge, and also who we can actually attract  to apply/take the job if not Cracks and BSLM. Any applicant is going to want to know the detailed transfer budget/strategy which we as fans aren't going to be told save for some lies and squabbling at the AGM. So there's so much unknown at play here... The only good thing in this scenario is that at least the unknown quantities in charge are guys who most if not all like and can get behind, so that's something for now, but it's stormy waters ahead.

The biggest thing for me is you could see against Linlithgow DM and LM both out giving instructions as basic as it is its something the snake never done which infuriated me. They also had the balls to change formation to give us control in the middle of the park.
The interviews have been a lot more positive and I cant see either of them letting players get away with the lack lusture displays we have been subject to so far this season.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If they win the next 3 you've surely got to give them till may.

What if it' s a win-lose-draw - what then?

What if the players don't fancy the training , they know M&M will  be gone in a month if they don't perform.

What an absolutely ridiculous situation to put us in - during the most important season in years.

Well done yet again our BOD - at least you are consistent , plumbers & accountants trying to run a football club.

There are no guaranteed success appointments in football, Hartley on paper looked like one and less said about that the better.

For me we had two black clouds over us and the management one was making the bigger black cloud hide into the background.

In the space of 12 days or so, M & M have created a bit of sunshine around the place both on and off the park compared to how it's been, McKinnon should've been booted in May for me but God knows who we would've appointed then.

If M & M are appointed to the end of the season, they will make mistakes but the squad is good enough to win this league, it helps when you set out to attack first and it's a great league for them to cut their teeth into management.

Its a results driven business(Ray apart) but I hope today is the start of a long unbeaten run that would hand them the job for Christmas and I'd go for a rolling 1yr contract if so.

Winning this league tho doesn't mean you are next big thing in management especially in our situation.

What if it' s a win-lose-draw - what then?
What if the players don't fancy the training , they know M&M will  be gone in a month if they don't perform.
What an absolutely ridiculous situation to put us in - during the most important season in years.
Well done yet again our BOD - at least you are consistent , plumbers & accountants trying to run a football club.

I actually have no idea what you are on about, and whilst I’m no fan of the board, bashing everything they do, whether right or wrong, makes no sense.
Bridges need to be built with the fans and two popular ex players are a step towards that. Fully committing to them when untried would be crazy. But then again given recent appointments so would rushing to appoint someone else.
Give them a few weeks to show what they can do. If they do a good job appoint them. If not look at who’s available in the interim, and keep all options on the table.
It’s good risk management to me and I’d rather commend them for once rather than slate them on this occasion....

21 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I actually have no idea what you are on about, and whilst I’m no fan of the board, bashing everything they do, whether right or wrong, makes no sense.
Bridges need to be built with the fans and two popular ex players are a step towards that. Fully committing to them when untried would be crazy. But then again given recent appointments so would rushing to appoint someone else.
Give them a few weeks to show what they can do. If they do a good job appoint them. If not look at who’s available in the interim, and keep all options on the table.
It’s good risk management to me and I’d rather commend them for once rather than slate them on this occasion....

Agree ! Miller and McCracken deserve and should get the backing of not only the fans but the players and the board.

You never know we may have two ex players that are managerial gems on our hands.

Little known fact that Falkirk have the world record for club ex players that have gone on to manage their national side. Bobby Brown - John Prentice - Willie Ormond - Andy Roxburgh - Alex Ferguson - Craig Brown - George Burley.

( great pub question and tests your football knowledge )

So give M&M the goodwill they need to make their stint a success.

Edited by HopeStreetWalker

14 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Wow , Mark Campbell was around even back then?

Was there a hotel on Hope Street as well?

All I can comment on was what I saw. But hey ! its academic now. There was the development option, workable or not I don't know but we went the new stadium route.

Your attempt at sarcasm does you little credit on the forum.

My biggest fear, and I could be way off here, but Miller doesn’t strike me as someone who potentially if needed give the team the old hair dryer treatment. I get the feeling he would want to be one of the lads rather than their manager. As I said, I could be wrong it’s just the feeling I get.

My biggest fear, and I could be way off here, but Miller doesn’t strike me as someone who potentially if needed give the team the old hair dryer treatment. I get the feeling he would want to be one of the lads rather than their manager. As I said, I could be wrong it’s just the feeling I get.

Today, I felt like McCracken is the more senior of the two. He spent more of the game right on the edge of the dugout with miller sat back a bit more.

Possibly due to McCrackens previous role at Peterhead and the experience he brings to coaching.

But, I’m prepared to give the guys the backing. I really hope it works out well for them, in the few interviews I’ve seen they are full of exuberance, which long may continue.

4 hours ago, CC52 FFC said:

That could be an advantage though. Good cop, bad cop, type of thing.

5 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Agree ! Miller and McCracken deserve and should get the backing of not only the fans but the players and the board.

You never know we may have two ex players that are managerial gems on our hands.

Little known fact that Falkirk have the world record for club ex players that have gone on to manage their national side. Bobby Brown - John Prentice - Willie Ormond - Andy Roxburgh - Alex Ferguson - Craig Brown - George Burley.

Since you didn't specify Scotland managers you could throw wee Latapy in there too.

6 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Aye this "world record" is little known as its not true. A cursory examination of Spain's national team managers back to 1980 reveals 8 of them played for Real Madrid. Likely to be many more.  I've no idea what club holds the world record but its not Falkirk. 

20 minutes ago, The truth is out there said:

Aye this "world record" is little known as its not true. A cursory examination of Spain's national team managers back to 1980 reveals 8 of them played for Real Madrid. Likely to be many more.  I've no idea what club holds the world record but its not Falkirk. 

Possibly a scottish record maybe even british but thats as far as it goes.

8 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

All I can comment on was what I saw. But hey ! its academic now. There was the development option, workable or not I don't know but we went the new stadium route.

Your attempt at sarcasm does you little credit on the forum.

Sorry I thought it was sarcasm , not an attempt at it.

But thanks for putting me right,  in your role as sole arbiter on what is and what isn't.

Can I just apologize to the whole of the Pie & Bovril community for my attempt, I will never do this again - please do not ban me or give me little credit.

8 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Not surprised you have no idea as you have completely ignored the points I raised.

"A few weeks"  is not long enough - I don't know where this has come from -  there could be the initial new manager bounce which gives a false impression of their capabilities , but if they are actively looking for a new manager how long are they going to drag that out? And if they find a great candidate are they going to ask him to hang around until they come to a conclusion on M&M?  If things are going well then it's thanks but no thanks, pretty unprofessional.

I was no fan of giving the job to a couple of rookies but now they have it should be until the end of the season so the players know.

Good luck to M&M, I hope you both smash it.  

Not surprised you have no idea as you have completely ignored the points I raised.
"A few weeks"  is not long enough - I don't know where this has come from -  there could be the initial new manager bounce which gives a false impression of their capabilities , but if they are actively looking for a new manager how long are they going to drag that out? And if they find a great candidate are they going to ask him to hang around until they come to a conclusion on M&M?  If things are going well then it's thanks but no thanks, pretty unprofessional.
I was no fan of giving the job to a couple of rookies but now they have it should be until the end of the season so the players know.

If I didn’t understand, it probably because it comes across as gibberish.
There’s too many on here that are negative re every single aspect of the club and will take the opposite position of the board, as an example, irrespective of right or wrong.
I’m not a fan of the current dysfunctional board and would like to see change, but not at all cost and frankly nothing Ive seen on the table to date impressed me that much. I actually breathe easier because we didn’t embark on a change a few weeks ago.
Much of the criticism IS justified, but sometimes on every aspect, it comes across from you and one or two others as just having another go just for the sake of it....

29 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

The thing is, by the looks there actually seems to be a bit of morale in the team now, to appoint someone else and you just know whoever they appoint is going to undo the work done by M&M.  

In all honesty i think the damage done between board and fans is irreparable, the only thing they have to keep the fans sort of on side is to appoint 2 players that were popular and good servants to the club.  It keeps the fans sort of on board backing 2 former players and the money coming into the club.  I just hope the board do a c**ts trick and appoint someone else and the 2 of them have to leave the club again if the job they are doing is good enough.

I

Edited by AL-FFC