The Falkirk FC Thread

This needs to be asked at the next AGM, we do still have community teams but I've no idea what age group these go up to, and I assume any player that shows promise will be snapped up by pro youth/academy setup.
An absolute disgrace that the Academy was closed, theres maybe even an argument that we wouldn't be where we are if we hadn't closed it.

I'm as pissed of as anyone the acadamy was closed but it was the only decision we could make. The FACT is under project brave ( an SFA iniaitive ), if you do not have access to an indoor pitch within a certain radious you cannot play at elite level.If you are not at the top level all your best players will be poached by elite clubs as parents and kids will be easily convinced they should test themselves against the best.Therefore we would we lose the Fulton's sibbalds etc and be left with the Liam dicks of this world.( We cannot protect against this contractually at under age 16 ) So we would be left with players good enough for lower levels but of no value in the transfer market.If we lost all our top kids which would be likely the acadamy would not bring in any cash ,make an enormous loss and be a financial disaster .Sad but reality !

4 hours ago, Senator Frimpton said:

Pleased for BSLM and McCracken with a win in their first game in management. Changed the setup and had the team well motivated. Well done boys.

Not sure if 352 will work in the league as neither wb crosses convincingly. Dixon's are slow and floaty and Doyle's are just inaccurate. Sheer volume of them got us through last night thanks to poor defending from the rose, especially on Dixon's side.

Thought Miller allowed Gomis to play further up the park where he has more influence, could be interesting to see him play as 3rd CB/DM in a 352, which would hopefully hasten the end of Durnan who was fuckin chronic. His pass to noone that went out for a goal kick early on being a good example.

Next couple of league games will be a better indicator of where we're at any road.

As a side note, who names their child Brown?

I did a family tree for someone in their family many years ago.   Brown is the surname of one of the ancestors.  It has been in that family for a long time as a first name.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Have you not noticed a change of atmosphere around the club and fan disconnection that’s coincides with the closure of the Academy?
No one that’s played for us under Hartley or McKinnon will ever have the club legend status of Alston, Sibbald, Kerr or Miller for example. Nor will anyone care much if any of the current journeymen left the club tomorrow.
That’s no coincidence

I would say that to be honest lot of supporters have commented that it no longer feels like our club and the disconnect if it continues and we dont manage to go up at first attempt i would imagine that will grow until something changes at the club, personally think the attacks by the MSG on the support, the MC debacle and preferred bidder status despite the amount of red flags surrounding his bids being the main things.

I'm as pissed of as anyone the acadamy was closed but it was the only decision we could make. The FACT is under project brave ( an SFA iniaitive ), if you do not have access to an indoor pitch within a certain radious you cannot play at elite level.If you are not at the top level all your best players will be poached by elite clubs as parents and kids will be easily convinced they should test themselves against the best.Therefore we would we lose the Fulton's sibbalds etc and be left with the Liam dicks of this world.( We cannot protect against this contractually at under age 16 ) So we would be left with players good enough for lower levels but of no value in the transfer market.If we lost all our top kids which would be likely the acadamy would not bring in any cash ,make an enormous loss and be a financial disaster .Sad but reality !

Sorry but you are 100% wrong when it comes to access to indoor facility. That is only a stipulation for the top tier Academies. 6 months before we announced it was closing we had decided to go with tier two. That was an approx cost of £130k/year. The club had a guarantee of this cost being covered for 3 years.

It was closed for one reason and one reason only. The Board has decided to pump every penny it had into the Hartley project. It failed, we have no fall back and starting it again isn’t a five minute job.

6 hours ago, Senator Frimpton said:

Not sure if 352 will work in the league as neither wb crosses convincingly. Dixon's are slow and floaty and Doyle's are just inaccurate. Sheer volume of them got us through last night thanks to poor defending from the rose, especially on Dixon's side.

Given that Falkirk looked much more threatening in the play against Raith with the few crosses from within 20 yards of the end line than all the crap shelled in from further out, the theory is sound, even if it isn’t ideal for Dixon and Doyle. We’ve been getting results from a 3-5-2, so it can work fine in League One, with players that can cross convincingly.

Sorry but you are 100% wrong when it comes to access to indoor facility. That is only a stipulation for the top tier Academies. 6 months before we announced it was closing we had decided to go with tier two. That was an approx cost of £130k/year. The club had a guarantee of this cost being covered for 3 years.

It was closed for one reason and one reason only. The Board has decided to pump every penny it had into the Hartley project. It failed, we have no fall back and starting it again isn’t a five minute job.
I understand but in tier 2 you would run the very high risk of the better boys leaving or not joining in the first place.My friends grandson was in the old acadamy up until age 13 ,by then you knew who the top players were and most parents I met I know would push their kids to play at tier one even if it meant driving to Edinburgh or Glasgow.

I understand but in tier 2 you would run the very high risk of the better boys leaving or not joining in the first place.My friends grandson was in the old acadamy up until age 13 ,by then you knew who the top players were and most parents I met I know would push their kids to play at tier one even if it meant driving to Edinburgh or Glasgow.
Can understand both sides of the argument but for me a connection has been lost with the club & players since the academy closed.
If the academy was reopened and a monthly donation system was set up and the fans could help fund it with a guarantee all money goes to the accademy and future profits are reinvested, I would sign up for this and I'm sure many others would.

Don’t buy that argument either.

Falkirk has a reputation of blooding kids if they were good enough and if you speak to those involved that attracted kids.

It was a dreadful call and we will regret it for years.

Guest Ecosse83

Even if the academy didn't make us profit or even made a small loss each season it was probably a small price to pay to have an identity. 

Craig Campbell has ruined us for the foreseeable!

Edited by Ecosse83

I've said this a few times but the vast, vast majority of folk upset about the academy being closed are mums and dads who can't tell their mates that their laddie plays for Falkirk any more.
What Champions said, plus there's a lot of goodwill towards the club generated from just these conversations. The intangible benefits to the club from this shouldn't be underestimated.

I absolutely regret not doing more to fight the closure of the academy.
I don’t know what reasonably could have been done but I just shrugged a bit at the time despite having serious reservations.
It was a huge mistake. 

They were offered the cash to cover it. Lang and Campbell (obviously backed by the rest of the Board, and three are still there) blocked that offer claiming they had no pathway to the first team for the academy.

They then set out on a ham fisted PR exercise to justify it by being economical with the truth and duped the supporters by over inflating the costs.

It was a disgrace, worse than appointing Hartley

James Maxwell
Rangers reserves

Kerr robertson
Rangers

Kenzie Nair
Hearts

Kai fotheringham
Sean brown
Finlay malcolm
All capped and on pro contracts at Dundee utd

Leighton grant
Rangers

Zander Hutton
Rangers

Kieran Offord
St.Mirren (in recent under 16 Scotland squad)

All the above came out of our Academy when it was closed. I for one will be keeping an eye on these names in the coming years.