The Falkirk FC Thread

Says we're still undergoing a recruitment process. Does this mean M&M will form part of the new setup once a new man is appointed? 

Or perhaps if they do well they'll get it full time?

Either way they will be involved with the club for the foreseeable future 

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Never heard of two joint managers rather than one manager with an assistant. WTF happens if they disagree on tactics?

Have you never heard of Ross County? Or closer to home John Hughes and Owen Coyle?

This is getting made up us as they go along, 2 weeks is more than enough time to find a manager, how long do they expect the process to take FFS.

I'm fully behind M&M and hope the team kicks on but this all seems wholly unnecessary.

it would have been better if they just announced them on deals until the end of the season, at least then we would have some sort of stability.

1 minute ago, ka202 said:

What age are you?

If there's one good thing McKinnon did, it was break the likes of Branch Ton and Rudolph Hucker. I bet they still see him every night when they close their eyes to go to sleep. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

If there's one good thing McKinnon did, it was break the likes of Branch Ton and Rudolph Hucker. I bet they still see him every night when they close their eyes to go to sleep. 

Yep, and every afternoon when they get up again.

Gutted to see the big man leave us. All the best to him.

What would worry me though, is this attitude of "someone who knows the club". Throwaway nonsense. Do he and McCracken know Falkirk underachieving in L1? No, they don't. Indeed, Lee's last memories of Falkirk when he left weren't good - he took plenty digs at how the club was being run after he joined us, saying that Falkirk was a shambles and he'd never seen anything like it. Now, I don't know if he was referring to things at a managerial level re. Hartley, or things higher up. 

You could not make it up. The board appoint Miller and McCracken as coaches who will run the team till a new manager comes in.

Both have left clubs so must have had some assurances , guarantees , contract conditions giving some security in their new position.

New manager comes in and wants to appoint his own coaching team. Good grief it's a problem waiting to happen.

Best of luck to both of them, think they are going to need it !

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

A number of short term players will be leaving in January thankfully. That and the second tranche of the Will Vaulks money should allow any new manager to bring in the necessary players to balance off the squad.

As far as I can see there's only Moore, Longridge, Toshney & Leitch out of contract in January. Miller signed a 6 month deal in August which would take him to February although I would imagine that will be wrong and will be until January too. I can't see anything about Johnstone for some reason but I have a feeling he got a deal to the end of the season?

Personally I would want to keep Longridge and Toshney, if his fitness is ok and Miller too as we need back up. If the above is all correct then we'll only have Moore and Leitch available to bin so don't see a big turnover of players.

I also suspect that the Vaulks money may have been used to pay off McKinnon & Taylor.

I like the idea of Mccracken in charge, I could be wrong but to me it seems like our team runs out of steam after 60 to 70 minutes into games, hopefully Mccracken will be able to get the fitness levels up so that being full time actually is an advantage to us. Add in Miller and hopefully we have a management team to really take us forward this season and kick on after that COYB.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Nope, sorry to disappoint you. If what I said wasn’t self-evident, perhaps you should look at what you were complaining about before Ray got binned. Falkirk isn’t a plum assignment, right now...takes nothing from the club to admit it...if the BoD get it straight, it will be again, but for now, it’s just not.

I have a plum assignment due back at Fruit & Veg University  for Friday - any help greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I like Alex as I think everyone does, but I genuinely don't see him as a football person any more. I can't quite explain it, but Alex Smith still had something about him that made him "gaffer" when he needed to step into a dressing room. He had the sort of growl, the glare, that could still intimidate even if most folk didn't see that side of him. 

I just don't think Totts has that now.  He's been a salesman for too long.

And a Rangurs sympathyser.

39 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Have you never heard of Ross County? Or closer to home John Hughes and Owen Coyle?

Yeah, it's unusual for a reason though and even more so in terms of recruiting to it deliberately rather than sticking two guys in temporary charge from internal roles. Usually such appointments, such as the two you mention above, are internal.

We've twice had "joint managers" actually and the first was an external appointment when we recruited Rowan Alexander and Mark Shanks to the position in the mid 90's. Despite the title though Alexander was clearly the senior one and eventually Shanks left leaving Alexander in sole charge. Later we had a George Rowe / Ken Eadie double act for a year when they took over as senior players on a caretaker basis following Alexander's sacking and did well. It didn't last though. A year later they were gone themselves.

I can't think off the top of my head of a longer lasting duo than the current County pairing.

This whole thing is odd. If there's still a recruitment process going on why on earth would Miller and McCracken give up contracted jobs for a temporary position. Surely they've been promised a fair chance of a permanent appointment?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

21 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

This is getting made up us as they go along, 2 weeks is more than enough time to find a manager, how long do they expect the process to take FFS.

I'm fully behind M&M and hope the team kicks on but this all seems wholly unnecessary.

it would have been better if they just announced them on deals until the end of the season, at least then we would have some sort of stability.

Exactly.   Either announce these guys till the end of the season or advertise the job and stick Totten and say Cammy Bell in charge for a couple of weeks and if miller and McCracken want the job they can apply for it like anyone else. Any decent manager will want to bring in their own back room staff so if they are now part of the deal that's cutting your options straight away. I would also think that if these guys start well your also going to scare off any decent applicants as they will think its done and dusted that this pair  will get the job.  I can't see Miller giving up a good job at Livi to come and manage us for a couple of weeks without some sort of longish term agreement. This whole shambles is simply to get the crowd off Miller and Thomson's back and nothing else.

The squad we have is more than good enough to win this league comfortably. Even the few who are not even L1 standard should not make that much of a difference. Two things hampered us (imho), Ray being completely out of his depth and the prima donnas who looked like they had downed tools .

The new guys might be a stroke of genius or a complete disaster.  If it is a disaster, they won't cost us a fortune to say goodbye. If they do a good job then I dare say there is the possibility of making these appointments permanent. 

Knowing us FFC fans, if we don't win our next two games very comfortably, then we will want them replaced with José or Pep.

Regardless of what happens, we still have a few years of rebuilding to do. But it would be nice to even have that feeling when you turn up for a game and expect to win comfortably.