The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83

Yogi would be a vast improvement in McKinnon. 

If he has dialled his ego down a touch then I'd have him back over the vast majority of names being banded about. 

Yogi or Coyle, no trainer for me!

Just not feeling the Yogi love in here, massively different club from when he managed us before where we had the likes of the academy and also we were in the premier and a bit cash in the bank for pay off of players to get rid we cant afford that this time.

The only thing at the moment is he would kick some arses  in amongst the players but if he was to do the Raith approach and berate them all publicly then that would be another manager gone.  Unless there are other things put into the equation i.e. takeover by another party that wanted Yogi involved as a stipulation ? 

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Got a feeling McIntyre will be joining you

Are there any feeling that this is too late in the sense you could have approached McCall whilst at Ayr?

Approached him last season but turned it down due to his loyalty to the ayr chairman.  I would have liked a Mark Kerr, Lee Miller double act but it's too late for that now.

41 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Yogi would be a vast improvement in McKinnon. 

If he has dialled his ego down a touch then I'd have him back over the vast majority of names being banded about. 

Yogi or Coyle, no trainer for me!

I think you'll need one of those as well.

Guest Ecosse83
1 minute ago, bob_mcshug said:

No faith at all in the current lot to make a decent appointment. 

As for the mental shouts for yogi, he would fit in well with the current board as both have been on a steady decline for the past 10 years... 

I'm not yogis biggest fan but I'd have him over loads of other names being mentioned. 

You will have to explain the 10 hear decline from him to me though!

6 minutes ago, champions said:

Approached him last season but turned it down due to his loyalty to the ayr chairman.  I would have liked a Mark Kerr, Lee Miller double act but it's too late for that now.

He was very close to joining but the Ayr chairmen called him last minute and convinced him to stay.

Just now, Ecosse83 said:

I'm not yogis biggest fan but I'd have him over loads of other names being mentioned. 

You will have to explain the 10 hear decline from him to me though!

The only positive thing he's done in that time was a spell with ICT where he did well with an inherited team. Even then his success in the Scottish cup fell into his lap due to a bottle job by the opposition that day (☹️). 

He did well with us although sometimes I wonder how much of that was down to having latapy as the tactics were basically to give it to Russell. Anyway, as well as he did with us, it's been mediocre elsewhere he's done nothing to suggest he could repeat the kind of success he had with us first time round. 

My opinion on Yogi as somewhat mellowed retrospectively but I wouldn't have him back. I always felt that a large part of our success in that period was in spite of him rather than because of him, and the myth of us playing attractive football was just that - a myth written by journalists who watched us for half an hour a season.

Guest Ecosse83
7 minutes ago, bob_mcshug said:

The only positive thing he's done in that time was a spell with ICT where he did well with an inherited team. Even then his success in the Scottish cup fell into his lap due to a bottle job by the opposition that day (☹️). 

He did well with us although sometimes I wonder how much of that was down to having latapy as the tactics were basically to give it to Russell. Anyway, as well as he did with us, it's been mediocre elsewhere he's done nothing to suggest he could repeat the kind of success he had with us first time round. 

Fair enough it's all about opinions I suppose. There's probably no point in debating Yogi anyway, the current board probably wouldn't want to give him the job anyway!

The next manager appointment is crucial in many ways.

We will never get a manager whilst we are in league one that will unite all the fans, but we should be aiming for someone the majority can get behind and support. The club needs a bit of galvanising after what’s happened. Now, whether this would happen with the current board in place, I doubt, but the manager can help with this.

I can’t remember who mentioned it, but I would be looking for the next manager to be able to coach the current group of players to get the best out of them, rather than rip it up and start again. The squad is more than capable of winning this league, provided they are coached correctly. They are nobody’s favourite group of players. However they are capable.

At the end of the season when we got relegated I’d have loved Mark Kerr with Lee Miller, but that moment has passed. I doubt Housty would come back after what’s happened but would be good at least until the end of the season.

With the above being the case I’d be looking at Jim McDonaugh. Knows the club already after being Housty’s assistant for 3 years. Since he took over Edinburgh City only Lennon, Gerrard and Neilson have had better win percentages of people managing Scottish league clubs (50.98%).

He might not unite all fans, but I imagine it would be more underwhelmed rather bitter divide like some managers may cause, and believe a coach like him could be what we need to help these players win this league for us.

2 minutes ago, Trump said:

The next manager appointment is crucial in many ways.

We will never get a manager whilst we are in league one that will unite all the fans, but we should be aiming for someone the majority can get behind and support. The club needs a bit of galvanising after what’s happened. Now, whether this would happen with the current board in place, I doubt, but the manager can help with this.

I can’t remember who mentioned it, but I would be looking for the next manager to be able to coach the current group of players to get the best out of them, rather than rip it up and start again. The squad is more than capable of winning this league, provided they are coached correctly. They are nobody’s favourite group of players. However they are capable.

At the end of the season when we got relegated I’d have loved Mark Kerr with Lee Miller, but that moment has passed. I doubt Housty would come back after what’s happened but would be good at least until the end of the season.

With the above being the case I’d be looking at Jim McDonaugh. Knows the club already after being Housty’s assistant for 3 years. Since he took over Edinburgh City only Lennon, Gerrard and Neilson have had better win percentages of people managing Scottish league clubs (50.98%).

He might not unite all fans, but I imagine it would be more underwhelmed rather bitter divide like some managers may cause, and believe a coach like him could be what we need to help these players win this league for us.

Agree with this. The managers that can both build teams and coach are few and far between. Houston could coach but couldn't build a team. A lot of our players are on 2 year contracts so we can't just ditch the team and buy another one so we need a coach who can make do with what he has.