The Falkirk FC Thread

30 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Somebody hit the nail on the head earlier - players respond to a manager through fear or respect. They don't fear Ray and they don't appear to respect them.

I'd go further - at our level, players only work for managers who are going to make them better - ie produce a winning team which gets them noticed and hopefully gets them a move to a club with better wages. They've sussed Ray doesn't know what he's doing so he's no good to them. I'm betting agents have already been told to start looking for the next move. 

I would add to this, assuming by our level you mean this league, players work well for managers when the manager can create a tight-knit feel about the dressing room with some continuity. It's what worked for Arbroath and what has (so far) been working for us this season, low player turn-over means creates a positive atmosphere where everyone works for each other. 

2 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I would add to this, assuming by our level you mean this league, players work well for managers when the manager can create a tight-knit feel about the dressing room with some continuity. It's what worked for Arbroath and what has (so far) been working for us this season, low player turn-over means creates a positive atmosphere where everyone works for each other. 

You can't have tight-knit when you bring in players then sideline them like McKinnon has - Leitch, Miller, Toshney for example. 

56 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

You can't have tight-knit when you bring in players then sideline them like McKinnon has - Leitch, Miller, Toshney for example. 

Exactly the issue that Ray has fostered at FFC. The fans toss insults at players they perceive (correctly) as mercenaries without any loyalty to the Club. These players, without any ties to the organization, have little incentive to perform for anything other than their own reasons. The older players that Ray brought in, often his buddies, are realistic that they aren’t getting any offers from higher leagues, so their only possible motivation is that driven by the coach and not the Club/fans.

We can see that Ray couldn’t lead a group of sailors to a whorehouse, let alone motivate players, so why expect performance on the field? The younger players are Falkirk’s true hope for this season, but are they enough and/or getting playing time?

At first I didn’t believe that Ray could actually f**k up Falkirk’s season this badly with his budget. I was wrong, and now I find myself hoping for Ray to say (for selfish reasons) while feeling bad about wishing that on anyone.

1 hour ago, LauriestonBairn said:

Just had a look again. Got it horribly wrong. Changing rooms aren’t there.

Listen, I will get better and stronger at this. I will work hard from now on.

Season starts next week.

#Wegoagain

6 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

Plenty of room for a stand or something in between the 2 pitches as well when you look at the foot print of both stands behind the goals

There may be room to shoehorn another stand in but what about space for construction - I cannot see how they could build a stand from the sides.

Just can't see a way the footprint of a construction site would not cover that new pitch. Anyway we are all kidding ourselves , it's never happening. 

Although I did hear MC's plans involved building the 4th stand in Manhattan and shipping it over on a titanium platform pulled by silver & gold unicorns.    

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

Exactly the issue that Ray has fostered at FFC. The fans toss insults at players they perceive (correctly) as mercenaries without any loyalty to the Club. These players, without any ties to the organization, have little incentive to perform for anything other than their own reasons. The older players that Ray brought in, often his buddies, are realistic that they aren’t getting any offers from higher leagues, so their only possible motivation is that driven by the coach and not the Club/fans.

We can see that Ray couldn’t lead a group of sailors to a whorehouse, let alone motivate players, so why expect performance on the field? The younger players are Falkirk’s true hope for this season, but are they enough and/or getting playing time?

At first I didn’t believe that Ray could actually f**k up Falkirk’s season this badly with his budget. I was wrong, and now I find myself hoping for Ray to say (for selfish reasons) while feeling bad about wishing that on anyone.

I think you are spot on with your assertion.

I said a while ago when we binned the academy we lost our main identify & a big link to the community. You mention "younger players at Falkirk"- I don't think there are any anymore.

Craig Campbell's terribly executed Brentford Model left us with utter garbage players with no feeling for the club - they were eventually replaced by what we have now, a mix of mercenaries & Ray's old pals.

I heard an ex player on the radio last year , can't remember who it was and he said players do not play for the fans, they play for the manager who brought them in...…..until which time that they want rid of him then they cease to try for him.

There is no doubt in recent years our best time was when the team was full of ex academy guys  - Sibbald, Fultons, Alston , Kingsley, Wallace etc - cup final, praise from all quarters, players with an affinity for the club and then we made some decent cash form them mostly.

Incidentally who in our current squad could we sell for cash, any cash?

6 hours ago, CC52 FFC said:

A “clear the air” meeting is pointless when the manager won’t change his style. No manager will. It’s like asking Big Sam to play Tika Tika

I'm 3000 miles away in Maine USA been a bairns fan all my life it's so sad to see our great club where it is now. McKinnon has to go

A “clear the air” meeting is pointless when the manager won’t change his style. No manager will. It’s like asking Big Sam to play Tika Tika
Totally agree. In my opinion this coming out is almost as good as a vote of confidence. If he doesn't get a reaction, then even the board will know he's lost the dressing room