The Falkirk FC Thread

27 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The barn of a stadium does not help. Brockville atmosphere it ain't. Even Super Sam would have struggled to score playing with this lot.

I'm not buying the "barn of a stadium" argument to be honest.

As I mentioned look at the Airdrie fans on Saturday and there have been plenty of occasions where the atmosphere has been really pretty good when there has been something to get excited about.

Guest Ecosse83
54 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The barn of a stadium does not help. Brockville atmosphere it ain't. Even Super Sam would have struggled to score playing with this lot.

The stadium is fine, it's the diddy teams we are playing that barely bring 50 fans that's the problem....

Edited by Ecosse83

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I never renewed our three season tickets this year but I have been to three home games and they have been grim, soulless experiences.

The passion and even basic enthusiasm has been drained from our support and surely attendances will drop off sharply if positive change doesn't happen soon.

The comparisons with Airdrie on Saturday could not have been more stark, they had a team of limited ability fighting and scrapping for everything well supported by a noisy, boisterous crowd who were right into the match and who were enjoying themselves.

Never thought that I would ever be jealous of an Airdrie supporter.

edit to add that I watched a wee clip from the Sammy McGivern hat trick game at Broomfield in 1990 on Facebook last night, a different world.

Between 2004 and 2011 I never missed a single game home or away.

6 1/2 full seasons without missing a game including away midweek trips to Inverness, Dingwall and Peterhead.

On Saturday come 2.00 I thought long and hard before leaving the house to drag myself the last 1 mile to Westfield.

I've already noticed that I'm missing more games than ever and the previous 2 seasons I left a lot of games early.

If this is an indication of the future then I might as well give up now rather than dragging it out for a few years.

47 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

The stadium is fine, it's the diddy teams we are playing that barely bring 50 fans that's the problem....

34 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

We’re no different from all new seater stadiums, but we’ve had some decent occasions when the atmosphere was good. Unfortunately we now have our club with no governance, no leadership, no accountability, no ownership, from the top to the last player running out the tunnel. Absolute disgrace and disaster after disaster.......

I do love that some of our fans seem to believe Brockville had this amazing atmosphere every home game and that if we were still playing there the place would give Turkish derbys a run for there money on atmosphere.

Absolute nonsense.

I do love that some of our fans seem to believe Brockville had this amazing atmosphere every home game and that if we were still playing there the place would give Turkish derbys a run for there money on atmosphere.
Absolute nonsense.
Yeah there were plenty of turgid times at Brockville too in my time going there. It took less though, from us and away fans, to get it going a wee bit.

TFS needs a combination of big home and away crowds and real drama on the park to get a bit of atmosphere.

There wasnt always atmosphere at Brockville but I would say more often

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah there were plenty of turgid times at Brockville too in my time going there. It took less though, from us and away fans, to get it going a wee bit.

TFS needs a combination of big home and away crowds and real drama on the park to get a bit of atmosphere.

There wasnt always atmosphere at Brockville but I would say more often

When the big games have come TFS has delivered.

Brockville between 1990 and 2003 seen a very successful period that helped us have more big games.

When the big games have come TFS has delivered.
Brockville between 1990 and 2003 seen a very successful period that helped us have more big games.

The problems at TFS are pretty much echoed by most all seater stadiums, and by the fact that home fans generally dont have the same experience as away ones. All of the play off games were jumping, beating the ****, even the 3-2 v Ross County last season on the last day had genuine atmosphere despite the circumstances.

As bad as we are at the moment, I certainly would not swap our squad for any other squad in this league.

Overall probably but we are weak in areas where others in this league are better IMO. Raith have two in midfield and a wide player, Goodwillie would improve us as would the lad Johnstone. Airdrie’s LB was way better than Dixon.

I never renewed our three season tickets this year but I have been to three home games and they have been grim, soulless experiences.
The passion and even basic enthusiasm has been drained from our support and surely attendances will drop off sharply if positive change doesn't happen soon.
The comparisons with Airdrie on Saturday could not have been more stark, they had a team of limited ability fighting and scrapping for everything well supported by a noisy, boisterous crowd who were right into the match and who were enjoying themselves.
Never thought that I would ever be jealous of an Airdrie supporter.

edit to add that I watched a wee clip from the Sammy McGivern hat trick game at Broomfield in 1990 on Facebook last night, a different world.

“Team of limited ability”

There in lies your problem.

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I'm not buying the "barn of a stadium" argument to be honest.

As I mentioned look at the Airdrie fans on Saturday and there have been plenty of occasions where the atmosphere has been really pretty good when there has been something to get excited about.

Exactly.  Shite on the park = no noise from the stands.

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

I was at Brockville pretty much every fortnight between the age of 3 and 17 and then again from 19 until it was torn down. I can remember hundreds of games with absolutely zero atmosphere, particularly in dreary seasons in the old First Division.

I've was a season ticket holder for 20 years until this year.  I used to be hardcore and home and away every week but I started to lapse on the away games a few years ago.  Now I'm of a mindset that If there is something slightly more interesting on the table then I won't even bother going - that's what 3 years of steady decline does to a guy.   

I actually get more excited when there's something else on and I don't have to go.

Think everyone has different memory’s of Brockville whether it be with friends that are no longer with us that gave us laughs or the fact it had character compared to the TFS, Even some of the folk that used to stand around you even the dourest  of games there was something there . The play off games against Hibs and Killie the atmosphere was buzzing that night which shows it can have an atmosphere.  It’s just dependant on the occasions i dare say.

Edited by AL-FFC

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

After the cup final it was obvious there was major team rebuilding required. Duffie and Grant crocked. McCracken at the end of his career. Loy, Alston, Vaulks and Sibbald were all moving on.

Houston got a fraction of the funds that Hartley and McKinnon have wasted and got dumped when the inevitable slump happened.

Housty took us to a cup final and play offs with good football and my goodness were they competitive trying till the last minute and winning.

Hindsight is a great thing, but the board should have backed him.

They didn't and we are where we are because of it.

Agree about the funding thing, he certainly didn't get the funds that the next two did. He had said however that he intended to leave at the end of the season so possibly the board didn't want him signing players that a new boss wouldn't want? Additionally, the majority of his signings were pretty poor, another reason perhaps why funds weren't provided? 

32 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

8.00pm on Tuesday evening here and I still haven't looked at the "highlights" from Saturday, that's how scunnered I am with Falkirk FC at the moment. Just got no enthusiasm for things at all. 

Oh you should, the last wee bit is brilliant.

Dixon is targeted by teams every game due to McKinnon’s insistence on playing a narrow midfield, be that as a diamond 4 with 2 up top or a 2 and a 3 with 1 up top. This allows teams to double up on Dixon who in these formations is rendered pretty much useless. This due to the fact that he’s being asked to get forward top support the attack then back to defend.

For me Dixon has struggled due to this. He isn’t a bad player by any stretch of the imagination and has played LB for Monday years. I personally think his best role for us would be as the left sided CH alongside Buchanan.

We’ve seen next to nothing of Gary Miller who can play at RB, allowing Doyle to move to LB where he played a lot for Morton and Alloa. We have wingers (regardless of what our thoughts are on them) who have not been given the time this season to show what they can do in this team, most notably, Leitch, Moore and McLean. We have strikers who are struggling to get a partnership going.

14 minutes ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Dixon is targeted by teams every game due to McKinnon’s insistence on playing a narrow midfield, be that as a diamond 4 with 2 up top or a 2 and a 3 with 1 up top. This allows teams to double up on Dixon who in these formations is rendered pretty much useless. This due to the fact that he’s being asked to get forward top support the attack then back to defend.

For me Dixon has struggled due to this. He isn’t a bad player by any stretch of the imagination and has played LB for Monday years. I personally think his best role for us would be as the left sided CH alongside Buchanan.

We’ve seen next to nothing of Gary Miller who can play at RB, allowing Doyle to move to LB where he played a lot for Morton and Alloa. We have wingers (regardless of what our thoughts are on them) who have not been given the time this season to show what they can do in this team, most notably, Leitch, Moore and McLean. We have strikers who are struggling to get a partnership going.

No wonder Dixon struggles if he only turns up on Mondays!

Not sure about Doyle playing at LB for Morton & Alloa, always thought he played on the right. I think he's a decent player who at least has a desire to succeed however, his crossing IMO is his weakest attribute so don't think he'd be much good at doing it with his left if he struggles wit his right?

McKinnon is not the guy to ever accept being wrong. Even if he saw in training that bringing in someone currently marginalised added something to the team, he wouldn’t make that change on a match-day.