The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, BendtnerBairn said:

Not sure if I’m going off topic here as I’ve not been on in weeks but what’s everyone’s memory & thoughts about Chris Waddle at FFC?

He signed my Danny Mirror - I remember Elvis Presley single

4 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Reading on Teletext that FFC had signed Chris Waddle is probably similar to hearing we've signed Rooney nowadays.

Everyone under 30 frantically googling Teletext.

I read it from Rumbelows windae

3 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

McKinnon for Hearts?

Kelty ?

Not sure if I’m going off topic here as I’ve not been on in weeks but what’s everyone’s memory & thoughts about Chris Waddle at FFC?
Total class loved him in the navy blue (at spurs) and the "special" chequered shirt he wore playing for us! I hated that strip at first now it's iconic because Waddell pulled it on .I still cherish my replica . I guess that was an era that will we ever see the likes of again . Waddell ,stainrod, parks mcqueen,Ferguson and gray (forgotten the name of the arsenal striker) all played at the top level in England and yet graced the Brockville turf at the end of their careers.Our more recent English recruits arranged by Mr Hartley don't quite match up

10 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

His 4 games for Falkirk were Clydebank, St Mirren, Airdrie and East Fife

He must have been outstanding in the first three games because he did absolutely nothing of note in the 3-1 defeat at Bayview...

Total class loved him in the navy blue (at spurs) and the "special" chequered shirt he wore playing for us! I hated that strip at first now it's iconic because Waddell pulled it on .I still cherish my replica . I guess that was an era that will we ever see the likes of again . Waddell ,Stainrod, Parks Mcqueen,Ferguson, Gray ,and Barret who all played at the top level in England and yet graced the Brockville turf at the end of their careers.im not forgetting mcglauchlan or crunchie but I don't believe Chelsea were premiership when they played. Any other contenders I'm missing ? To stay of the MC subject who would grace your team of former bairns (who played at the top level outside Scotland ) that you witnessed playing for Falkirk. Mine ?
Parks spurs
McLaughlan Everton
Kingsley Swansea
Rierra Barca
Mcqueen West ham

Scott everton
Ferguson Newcastle
Gray Aston villa
Waddell spurs

Stainrod QPR
McAvennie West ham

Subs
Johnston watford
Irvine Everton
Gallagher Newcastle
Fulton Swansea
Barret Arsenal

Coach Alex ferguson man untd

10 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

There was a player before Waddle and Stainrod that had that class. George Connolly ! George Miller got him on loan from his old Dunfermline boss Jock Stein at Celtic.

Ball control and vision was something to behold. There was a bit of skill 45 years ago that is still clear in my mind.

Falkirk were kicking down to the car park end and Connolly won the ball at a corner at the railway end. He proceeded to walk the ball out of the box beating 4 or 5 players. He even managed to get a player to turn his back on him and run away convinced he was running beside him. Mitchell the left winger was standing alone near the 1/2 way line beside the stand. The look of bewilderment as this ball trundled up to his feet with a ' where did that come from ' look.

Here was a player that had the potential to be world class and I mean it. The poor guy could not handle it's and a case of what if of unfulfilled potential.

He only played a few times for Falkirk but it was one of the great moments as a Falkirk supporter go have seen greatness in a Falkirk jersey.

Anybody else remember that memory. I can't remember the opposition that day.

Connolly was persuaded came out of (early) retirement to play for Falkirk, not on loan. Looked for the like he would rather have been anywhere else as I recall, despite some brief flashes of class.

Nor did the Austrian striker he loaned to the shire Walner I recall played for his country after yogi labelled him not good enough

Densill Theobald strolled through a World Cup group.

Never played for fucking Falkirk though did he, Yogi?

Nor did the Austrian striker he loaned to the shire Walner I recall played for his country after yogi labelled him not good enough
Roman Wallner signed for us in the summer of 2007 played twice for us in the league got sent to Hamilton on loan(played 3 league games scoring once). Left us in January 2008 and went to Greece he got another 6 caps(scoring twice) and won the league with RB Salzburg.

Reading on Teletext that FFC had signed Chris Waddle is probably similar to hearing we've signed Rooney nowadays.

Everyone under 30 frantically googling Teletext.

‘Waddle Wings His Way to Falkirk’ was the BBC headline on page 302 if I recall correctly!

Ceefax always beats Benny T's rumours.

Bamboozled me? [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

27 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Wallner at least got a couple of sub appearances before Yogi heaved him on loan to the Accies.

Imagine Arfield, Latapy and Riera with the wee shroo balls for the future top scorer in the Austrian Bundesliga. Jesus wept.

Hughes really could be an absolute cock.

His stubbornness (ego, stupidity) was ultimately his downfall as a manager.

55 minutes ago, Con Stapleton said:

Connolly was persuaded came out of (early) retirement to play for Falkirk, not on loan. Looked for the like he would rather have been anywhere else as I recall, despite some brief flashes of class.

It was decades ago so you could well be right. But my recollection was that the loan did not work out for personal reasons and George Miller ended the loan and drove him back to Celtic Park. That was what I read in the Falkirk Herald ( it was a newspaper with a bit of credibility then )

Not making an issue about it but you were right, there were flashes of outstanding skill and vision. What a tragedy for the individual and a great loss to football.