The Falkirk FC Thread

Think it might have been against Clydebank. He tied their full back in knots on the enclosure side of the Watson Street end to the point where the guy fell on his arse. CW kind of stopped playing, gave the lad a hand back to his feet, and then got on with the game.

As mentioned above....way beyond his best, but several levels above every other player on show.

Waddle standing with two feet on the ball with his "Looking into the sun" hand on the forehead before megging the full back and running around him was pure gold. Think it was against Hamilton iirc? Players nowadays would fall off the ball, land in a heap and be out injured for 3 months.😁

4 minutes ago, Broken Bairn said:

Waddle standing with two feet on the ball with his "Looking into the sun" hand on the forehead before megging the full back and running around him was pure gold. Think it was against Hamilton iirc? Players nowadays would fall off the ball, land in a heap and be out injured for 3 months.😁

It was Clydebank it think

5 minutes ago, Broken Bairn said:

His 4 games for Falkirk were Clydebank, St Mirren, Airdrie and East Fife

5 minutes ago, PG.Colossus said:

‘Waddle Wings His Way to Falkirk’ was the BBC headline on page 302 if I recall correctly!

There was a player before Waddle and Stainrod that had that class. George Connolly ! George Miller got him on loan from his old Dunfermline boss Jock Stein at Celtic.

Ball control and vision was something to behold. There was a bit of skill 45 years ago that is still clear in my mind.

Falkirk were kicking down to the car park end and Connolly won the ball at a corner at the railway end. He proceeded to walk the ball out of the box beating 4 or 5 players. He even managed to get a player to turn his back on him and run away convinced he was running beside him. Mitchell the left winger was standing alone near the 1/2 way line beside the stand. The look of bewilderment as this ball trundled up to his feet with a ' where did that come from ' look.

Here was a player that had the potential to be world class and I mean it. The poor guy could not handle it's and a case of what if of unfulfilled potential.

He only played a few times for Falkirk but it was one of the great moments as a Falkirk supporter go have seen greatness in a Falkirk jersey.

Anybody else remember that memory. I can't remember the opposition that day.

There was a player before Waddle and Stainrod that had that class. George Connolly ! George Miller got him on loan from his old Dunfermline boss Jock Stein at Celtic.
Ball control and vision was something to behold. There was a bit of skill 45 years ago that is still clear in my mind.
Falkirk were kicking down to the car park end and Connolly won the ball at a corner at the railway end. He proceeded to walk the ball out of the box beating 4 or 5 players. He even managed to get a player to turn his back on him and run away convinced he was running beside him. Mitchell the left winger was standing alone near the 1/2 way line beside the stand. The look of bewilderment as this ball trundled up to his feet with a ' where did that come from ' look.
Here was a player that had the potential to be world class and I mean it. The poor guy could not handle it's and a case of what if of unfulfilled potential.
He only played a few times for Falkirk but it was one of the great moments as a Falkirk supporter go have seen greatness in a Falkirk jersey.

He was class.
Mate of mine played in goals a few times for Tulliallan juniors when George Connelly was with them.
Connelly told my mate to give him the ball any chance he got.
He did as told and said hed never seen anything like it.
Connelly was just pinging the ball with ease right onto whoever he was aiming for... never ran... gentle jog was all he could manage then.

19 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

I remember being at games where George Connolly played.  I remember him taking free kicks and he'd hit them so hard defenders would dodge out of the way.  One game in particular sticks in my mind at Brockville, it was dark so a midweek game.  He was very overweight, couldn't run but he could hit a ball like no-one else and he got a lot of respect from the other players.  I am glad I got to see him in a Falkirk Shirt.