The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Fast_Action said:

Could it be the other way around - that Falkirk are a poor team in a better league than they expected?  That Clyde and Raith Rovers are better than they anticipated?  That is why they are not running away with the league despite their resources, and go in to November sitting in third place, and only three points ahead of Clyde who are in 6th place?

Or it could just be that Rays a poor manager and not being able to cut the mustard, personally i think its this one.

4 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

Could it be the other way around - that Falkirk are a poor team in a better league than they expected?  That Clyde and Raith Rovers are better than they anticipated?  That is why they are not running away with the league despite their resources, and go in to November sitting in third place, and only three points ahead of Clyde who are in 6th place?

I haven't seen RR or EF this season but I thought Clyde weren't bad at Broadwood and quite decent on Saturday. You have some good players. The rest though have been absolutely dreadful.

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Without wanting to be too cheesy, we should feel privileged that he was involved with our club. A properly brilliant person who carries himself impeccably.

I'd hope that whoever wins donates the money and let's him keep his shirt and medal.

Folk bidding £100.

Mortifying. 

5 hours ago, BairnBrainBrian said:

Regarding your first point, I think you would find it difficult to find a Falkirk fan who thinks we are a good team, I dare say there will be some, but I am confident most would agree that we are not a good team. Does that mean we are not a good team? Of course it doesn't, it only means that the majority of our fans think we are not a good team. Dumbarton fans might think Falkirk are a brilliant team because we defeated them 6-0. and Clyde fans probably think we are rancid. Of course everything, or most things, in football are subjective, it is difficult to be objective when your team is involved. But our opinions are fed by facts and figures, and more than a hint of personal experience. We all have an idea of what a good football team is, and yes a 100 people might well have 100 different opinions, but there are some facts to be considered as well. As an example it is a fact that this year Falkirk easily have the largest budget in the league. Therefore it is not a great leap to expect them to be playing much better than they are. I know a bigger budget does not guarantee success.

But budget feeds in to expectation. Falkirk fans, very understandably, have higher expectations than the other teams in this league because we all know they have the largest budget and in recent history have been the best team of the ten clubs in League One. Which is kind of my whole point. You are judging the current Falkirk side against your own expectations. Not some objective standard of what 'good' is.

What we would need is some sort of way of measuring what is good and what is not good, but even that would come with some subjectivity. For example, would a good team be two points off the top of the table right now, or would a good team be 6 or 7 points clear?  Maybe it is too early to say? Maybe it is not too early to say?  

I wouldn't agree that 'good/bad are totally arbitrary terms in regard to football. A team that is stranded at the bottom of any league are not good relative to that league and that is what they are being judged on, it is immaterial whether they would be a good team if they were in a different league. 

Aye, and it's totally fair to say that a team is good or bad or average relative to the level they're playing at. Cove Rangers are a good L2 team. They probably wouldn't make a very good Champions league team.

I am defining Falkirk as a poor team based on their poor displays. There are times watching Falkirk this year where for parts of some matches it looks like the players are playing together for the first time. A team that, for a good amount of time, depended on the full-back floating balls into the opposition box and hoping for a result, is not a good team by any stretch of the imagination. But you might have an imagination that stretches that far. 

As for the worst good team, in my subjective opinion, based on what I have seen, I have found that Arsenal continue to frustrate.

If Arsenal are the worst 'good' team you can think of then you clearly have an extremely high standard for judging a team to be good. One which no team in Scotland currently meets and no Falkirk side in history has ever reached. Personally, I find that a very strange perspective to have.

A better league than we expected.
You must be joking, this league is every bit as bad as expected.
Unfortunately for us we are worse than expected.

Why are people still suggesting this league isn’t pish. 

We have an inept manager, have failed to score in half of our games and have played well for a grand total of 100mins so far yet we are still only 2 points off the top. 

We even managed to turn a 4-0 victory into one of the most boring games in living memory. 

A good manager would have us romping this. 

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps I'm remembering wrong (and I'm sure the East Fife fans can confirm) but I'm fairly certain a long held fan protest at New Bayview helped oust that p***k of a chairman they had for a while (Brown?). 

We have got rid of chairmen afore, its owners that are that bit harder

If it as dire as you are making out, why are teams such as Alloa Athletic, Ayr United and Arbroath more than holding their own in the Championship?

Actually, what those three teams demonstrate on low wages is just what a difference having a decent manager can make.
Falkirk on the other hand, demonstrate what a disaster having a shite manager (actually make that two shite managers in a row), can make....

On 28/10/2019 at 20:13, BairnBrainBrian said:

Well, as pish as we are, I am still confident that we will win this league. I feel that something will happen, perhaps a clear the air chat between Ray and the players where they both listen to each other, or Ray throws a double six and hits upon a winning formula, or even we throw more money at Ray in January, but I still think we will eventually click into a half decent team, which is all you have to be to win this league.

Let's be honest, if there was a half decent team in this league they would already be skooshing it, but as utter shite as we are at the moment, we are only two points off the top.

Expect the unexpected!

😂😂😂💩💩💩

Is that the same one as the MSG meeting the Consortium?
I heard he held the meeting as he wanted to offer free seasons tickets (in the fourth stand ) to all the fans who have believed in his vision! All he wants in return is an affidavit that they never saw him touch his employees bum in his Manhatten office just before he ceased trading .Well near Manhatten anyway , the one where he gave up on his dream to become a stockbroker,and decided to build a coffee empire whilst buying over Sunderland just before realising that Falkirk was where his future lay .
Mark,s a nice guy he just needs a break in life and wants at least one of his dreams to become a reality.

15 hours ago, Fast_Action said:

I am not sure that works. Falkirk are a poor team but still only two pts off the top, to me that suggests that the teams above, who both have not beaten Falkirk, are not really that much better. 

Football is such a hard thing to quantify, there are so many different opinions about what makes a good team and what makes a bad team. But it does seem universally accepted that Falkirk have the best squad and that they should be playing better football than they are. I think Ray has to take a huge portion of the blame for it, but the players are not exempt from criticism. There are just too many of them not putting in an honest shift.

There is also the possibility that Falkirk are not as bad as I think they are, but we all have an idea of what we consider a good team, and as was said before, 100 people could have 100 different opinions about what makes a good football team.

14 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

If Arsenal are the worst 'good' team you can think of then you clearly have an extremely high standard for judging a team to be good. One which no team in Scotland currently meets and no Falkirk side in history has ever reached. Personally, I find that a very strange perspective to have.

I have a soft spot for Arsenal, I went to quite a few games when I lived in London way back in the day.