The Falkirk FC Thread

25 minutes ago, Relegator Ritchie said:

Things are bad enough without you starting a whole new argument on that dunce Pressley. At the time, the standard of football was horrendous. He should’ve been punted along with Eddie May, and then definitely punted after relegation from the Premier. He then failed to get us promoted the following year yet was rewarded with a new 3 year contract by Ritchie. My eyes literally bled watching Falkirk under him.

He should probably have been punted after relegation. Probably. But we then had 6 months of great fun with Farid, Higginbotham and kids challenging at the top of the championship? I know it didn’t work out and it became very stale with him but your boycott of the club early that season definitely points to you just throwing a bit of a huff at the club not doing exactly what you wanted it to do...

3 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Hi, 

I'm currently doing a report as part of my coursework for Uni and I'm talking about the alienation and commodification in football, I'm speaking about the Wimbledon/MK Dons case and how the move alienated the fans. 

I am also mentioning how that this is going to become a more common thing for teams to move stadium, due to ageing stadiums. How did Falkirk fans feel about the move from Brockville to the new stadium? Any input would be appreciated.

Was against it, the whole concept was for the wrong reasons and was always going to end in a bad deal for the club.

Directors and the Bank ( Clydesdale I think ) got their payday and were happy for the Council to screw us over, and my were the Council not the big winners.

The Council added the land at the soon to be closed incinerator and the Bleachfield into a massive piece of real estate and it's bingo payout for them. Access from the demolished Brockville via the new supermarket made that a possibility.

As a bonus they get a majority stake in a new sports stadium and a share of the income. Lumbering Falkirk in trying to finance the development of the ground.

Falkirk clear their debt but become a minor stakeholder in their own home ground.

The rest is history.

One thing I've learned in 10 years following the team is many Falkirk fans can find dozens of reasons to boycott games because the team/manager/board/pitch/stadium/pies/colour of the turnstyles is shite. 

Seem to turn up ok for Cup Finals though.

One thing I've learned in 10 years following the team is many Falkirk fans can find dozens of reasons to boycott games because the team/manager/board/pitch/stadium/pies/colour of the turnstyles is shite. 

36 years a supporter and this season is the least engaged/interested I’ve ever been. Bearing in mind that season under Lambie and Collins.

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

He should probably have been punted after relegation. Probably. But we then had 6 months of great fun with Farid, Higginbotham and kids challenging at the top of the championship? I know it didn’t work out and it became very stale with him but your boycott of the club early that season definitely points to you just throwing a bit of a huff at the club not doing exactly what you wanted it to do...

Not quite. We had a season of utter dugmeat in our first season back down. Remember Mehdi Khalis, Ross Perry, Doctor Deuchar, Jason Marr? (shudder). Last straw for me was after losing 4 goals 3 times in the space of about 4 or 5 weeks against Dumbarton, Partick and Cowdenbeath.

Edited by Relegator Ritchie

The only positive thing I can see about Campbell is the fact that he was trying to buy Sunderland and they spent 4 months negotiating , if he was just some geezer who run a mini cab firm i doubt Sunderland would have let him in the door. 

They didn’t

3 hours ago, Enigma said:

What a difference a few months make. I was hounded on here for even suggesting Campbell might be a shyster when the Mark Campbell guy was first unveiled, Falkirk fans were reeled in by the fourth stand, multi million pound squad investment and new hotel.

You were hounded, were you?

Fibs, boys. Fibs.

45 minutes ago, Relegator Ritchie said:

Not quite. We had a season of utter dugmeat in our first season back down. Remember Mehdi Khalis, Ross Perry, Doctor Deuchar, Jason Marr? (shudder). Last straw for me was after losing 4 goals 3 times in the space of about 4 or 5 weeks against Dumbarton, Partick and Cowdenbeath.

Christ you’re right, I’d forgotten about that entire season. Mark Stewart leading the line 

2 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

I’ve been going for 40 years this year and what you’ve said has generally been the case.

A lot of people also don’t go because of work and family commitments. There are also a lot of people who use the options of watching the game via other options I.e. Falkirk TV than attend games.

I’m more aware of people not going since joining P&B in 2017 as tbf a lot of posters are very open about not going to games.

4 hours ago, Enigma said:

What a difference a few months make. I was hounded on here for even suggesting Campbell might be a shyster when the Mark Campbell guy was first unveiled, Falkirk fans were reeled in by the fourth stand, multi million pound squad investment and new hotel.

Nice idea, and it's obviously true of some.

In fairness though, there's been a pretty healthy degree of scepticism among most of the Falkirk fans on here from the outset.  

5 hours ago, Enigma said:

I wasn't involved in the hounding, I was too busy expecting us to stroll every game in League 1...

11 hours ago, Relegator Ritchie said:

Yes I was satisfied, and I’m saying that as someone who like you, wants nothing but the best for club. He gave me an answer for every concern I had. I’m still cautious but that’s a given considering what’s at stake. We’re all at risk of getting into tit-for-tats with one another on this forum, I’m as guilty of biting back as anyone, but genuinely, have you contacted him directly to ask him for yourself? If you do, and you’re still not satisfied then that is entirely your prerogative and I’d fully respect that. 

Apologies if I've missed it, can you share any answers to what satisfied you?

I think it will help bring at least the guys on here together, if it helped someone that was as big a supporter as you were, to give him your backing.

10 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Hi, 

I'm currently doing a report as part of my coursework for Uni and I'm talking about the alienation and commodification in football, I'm speaking about the Wimbledon/MK Dons case and how the move alienated the fans. 

I am also mentioning how that this is going to become a more common thing for teams to move stadium, due to ageing stadiums. How did Falkirk fans feel about the move from Brockville to the new stadium? Any input would be appreciated.

I've been watching Falkirk since I was 11 in 1968.

Whilst I appreciate that we're the same club, I definitely felt a distinct difference between the club that left Brockville and eventually appeared at the new stadium. It should be remembered that we spent a season sharing at Ochilview, which wasn't much to write home about, but I did feel that it was like 'starting again' in some ways. That impression has diluted considerably since then but I still yearn for Brockville and all of the memories that goes with it.

You may have gathered that I'm not exactly in the first flush of youth and many younger fans will have a very different impression however such a stadium move or, God forbid amalgamation, is much more likely to affect folk of my generation than the younger ones I would have thought. 

I've been watching Falkirk since I was 11 in 1968.
Whilst I appreciate that we're the same club, I definitely felt a distinct difference between the club that left Brockville and eventually appeared at the new stadium. It should be remembered that we spent a season sharing at Ochilview, which wasn't much to write home about, but I did feel that it was like 'starting again' in some ways. That impression has diluted considerably since then but I still yearn for Brockville and all of the memories that goes with it.
You may have gathered that I'm not exactly in the first flush of youth and many younger fans will have a very different impression however such a stadium move or, God forbid amalgamation, is much more likely to affect folk of my generation than the younger ones I would have thought. 
Along the same lines with me.
Following since around the same time.
After our last game at Brockville it wasn't until the new season hit me that we would never be back ( unless I win the lottery and buy out Morrisons.. I will not seek any rent either [emoji106] )
Ever since then it hasn't felt like the same club.
I'm not too sure how much Brockville could have been developed and how much it would have cost.. but at that time I dont think we were in any position to do much about it.
People say you have to move on and progress... I've never seen this move to this stadium as progressive... especially given the council's role in screwing us over.

18 hours ago, Relegator Ritchie said:

What‘s the alternative? Carry on plummeting down the leagues under the current custodians, who are supposedly fans? F**k that and f**k that failure Ritchie, an absolute imposter of a man. What happens if League One becomes the norm? Do we just shrug our shoulders and say “hey-ho, at least they only relegated us”? Perhaps that level of ambition and gross mismanagement cuts the mustard for you but it certainly doesn’t for me.

Pretty much all of what you’ve just stated about Campbell is nothing more than a rant. Not much factual, merely a personal opinion (which I acknowledge you share with a dozen or so others on this forum who make up a tiny percentage of our overall fan base). I agree there has been evidence of failed businesses, which he hasn’t denied. But I‘ve heard an awful lot from his side too and I think he deserves a chance on the back of that. I fully respect everyone’s right to be cautious and to disagree, I‘m cautious too and I realise there is a big risk involved, but there’s a risk with any option we choose. I initially thought the BtB bid was the way to go, but since it became apparent that was merely jumping into bed with the current lot & rearranging the deckchairs (or a “diluting of shares” to give it its proper term) rather than a takeover, that no longer became a viable option. We need gutted from top to bottom and if those behind BtB can’t stump up enough cash for a complete takeover then it’s a firm no from me. I’ve also heard numerous stories regarding some of the ego’s involved with BtB that I don’t like which gives me no confidence they would be acting in the Club’s best interests. Gaowza’s bid I’m loathed to even acknowledge. A journeyman footballer who suddenly has millions to invest in a football club and he chooses Falkirk? Where’s his business plan? Where’s he made his money? What experience has he got running businesses let alone a football club?  And even if all that evidence does stack up, it’s inevitable he’d bring back his bum-chum Hughes and that can get so far to f**k. 

This is on the MSG and as a group of fans, we cannot allow them to get away with this any longer. They are wholly responsible for the situation we find ourselves in, both on and off the park.

I beg to differ, so let's examine my "rant" and how much is factual:

• Dude from nowhere - well not one of us had heard of MC before he rocked up
  • Serial business failure - FACT , even MC admitted this (eventually)
  • Ex-bankrupt - FACT, again admitted by MC ,although he claims he only found out himself a few days ago (Ha Ha) even though he also said he'd made the MSG aware of it weeks ago 
  • Deluded - My opinion this one I will give you that
  • Scary - for sure , especially if he gets 62% of the club
  • Tramp-like - FACT , just look at him
  • Lying - FACT , well documented on here
  • Populist - 4th Stand, new pitch , academy, full ownership of stadium, hotel ,Twitter nonsense,  Keane tickets etc
  • Chancer - My opinion but I think I have seen enough to think I'm right.
  • Accused of sexual harassment - FACT