The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I said ten days ago that I had concerns that McKinnon would revert to type, and think he could get away with beating Stranraer, drawing with EF then drawing with RR. That is exactly what he is aiming for.

From tonight onwards, all he is thinking about is his “unbeaten run”, and ensuring we get a point next week. Don’t think he has ever gotten anyone promoted automatically, and he isn’t going to do it this season either.

He is a dud of the highest order. A poor man’s Steven Pressley.

Spot on, full of empty promises.

He was the same with us......BTW, would not bet he'll get a point against us at home.

Edited by Wee Sandy

Why are so many people so utterly determined to dole out disprortionate credit to the league? Its fucking shit. (Yes we deserve to be here)

Why are so many fans of opposing teams desperate for us to acknowledge them?

Its all about budget disparity. We have every right to expect to win this league. To expect to win on any given Saturday.

Money talks almost all the time.

Agree. It’s the standard of football teams in this league that are shit........not the clubs per se, nor the supporters.

The last think we should be doing is nodding gravely at the sage words that it is tough league, and difficult to get out of. The only person making this difficult and tough is Ray McKinnon.

Again, he needs someone to drum it into him that W4 D3 L1 is no better than W5 D0 L3. I am at a point where I think the man simply isn’t particularly bright.

45 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Agree. It’s the standard of football teams in this league that are shit........not the clubs per se, nor the supporters.

I think the point being missed here is that the teams in League One, as a whole, have one or two players who transform the team. Combine this with a long, cold season and pitches that are not, shall we say, pristine, results in some weird bounces in the play and schedules. Lose your playmaker and you might plummet from first to seventh in a couple of weeks, get him back, and suddenly you are climbing again.

Falkirk has the advantage this season of a larger playing budget and, theoretically, more impact players. Once the nights get longer, the games start blowing, and injuries start accumulating, that’s when we’ll see if Falkirk has the right solution to this league. For now, Ray’s team doesn’t strike me as one who has more than a couple of transformative players, but that could well be down to either Ray’s tactics or Ray’s signings...time will tell.

League One is, pretty much, the highest part-time league, and play is often accordingly mediocre. Many players at this level lack the necessary skills for higher leagues, and thus the robust nature of play. Perhaps that’s what Ray is playing for, winning by attrition?

I think the point being missed here is that the teams in League One, as a whole, have one or two players who transform the team. Combine this with a long, cold season and pitches that are not, shall we say, pristine, results in some weird bounces in the play and schedules. Lose your playmaker and you might plummet from first to seventh in a couple of weeks, get him back, and suddenly you are climbing again.
Falkirk has the advantage this season of a larger playing budget and, theoretically, more impact players. Once the nights get longer, the games start blowing, and injuries start accumulating, that’s when we’ll see if Falkirk has the right solution to this league. For now, Ray’s team doesn’t strike me as one who has more than a couple of transformative players, but that could well be down to either Ray’s tactics or Ray’s signings...time will tell.
League One is, pretty much, the highest part-time league, and play is often accordingly mediocre. Many players at this level lack the necessary skills for higher leagues, and thus the robust nature of play. Perhaps that’s what Ray is playing for, winning by attrition?

Agree, but only up to a point. Believe me, the winter weather is exactly the same in the Championship. There are also plenty of iffy pitches. Players playing their entire careers on such pitches don’t really carry an advantage.
Better players (well led) should always prevail over the course of a season.

McKinnon is failing in the months when those surfaces are at their best. He is a fluffer, and I think, lives permanently in a state of fear about losing games, and therefore his job......hence his long standing acceptance of draws.

We have become a toy town Wenger Arsenal of old where in league terms, we are a great place to pick up a decent wedge without any great demands or expectation from the manager. He clearly isn’t Mr Motivator, and nor is he a hard taskmaster or charismatic leader.

What we get on the park is a reflection of what McKinnon is prepared to accept.....and that isn’t necessarily league titles....its unbeaten runs.

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

We're making it tough because we have a clueless manager in charge. Too many crap signings and clueless tactics. We need to boot him and that would make it far easier.

Agree. Think a high tempo, high pressing game would work to the advantages Falkirk should have. Go all out at the opposition from kick off getting them into their own box in the first minute, corners, shots on target, desperate clearances all opposition players back and boss the game from there. Keep that up and it will find out the fitness of the part time players as the game on.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Agree, but only up to a point. Believe me, the winter weather is exactly the same in the Championship. There are also plenty of iffy pitches. Players playing their entire careers on such pitches don’t really carry an advantage.
Better players (well led) should always prevail over the course of a season.

McKinnon is failing in the months when those surfaces are at their best. He is a fluffer, and I think, lives permanently in a state of fear about losing games, and therefore his job......hence his long standing acceptance of draws.

We have become a toy town Wenger Arsenal of old where in league terms, we are a great place to pick up a decent wedge without any great demands or expectation from the manager. He clearly isn’t Mr Motivator, and nor is he a hard taskmaster or charismatic leader.

What we get on the park is a reflection of what McKinnon is prepared to accept.....and that isn’t necessarily league titles....its unbeaten runs.

Agree, mostly. On the pitches, most Championship venues are in somewhat better condition than those in League One, and about half are enclosed on all sides, reducing some of the weather impact. On Ray, yep.

On 28/09/2019 at 11:03, Duncan Freemason said:

Reading the piece in the Evening News, I have to say it’s a load of flimflam horseshit. George Craig “oversaw Hibs Scottish Cup win in 2016”. Jesus Aitch Christ.

I would imagine the true story has more to do with him being shown the door. Especially love the bit when asked “George what is it that you actually do?” His response was “you will see what I do when I am no longer here”.

Yep, a bit like us when he had to leave for the club to discover he had been allegedly concealing HMRC letters from the board for months and months.

A football parasite of the highest order. Falkirk, Kilmarnock and Hibs all got a wee taste of it.

Looks like from afar that Hibs were so desperate not to lose Graeme Mathie to Killie that they have promised him George's job rather than it being George's call.

Seems strange him bragging about how proud he is of the players that have come through the academy in his time when there seems to only be one I can think of (Ollie Shaw) , as opposed to when John Park was there when there were loads of them who all went on to have good careers.

I will always regard GC as the architect of our downfall when he gave the  manager's job to his mate Eddie May , then refused to accept his resignation half way through the reason when he was clearly out of his depth, only reluctantly letting him go once it was too late and we were relegation bound. We've never really recovered from that. 

I have 2 tickets for the Toploader gig at Harthill Services that thankfully I can't attend.
I am willing to give them to the first poster that successfully predicts the year when Mark Campbell will start building the 4th stand.   

My version of a nil nil draw - never

Yep, not having this as a tough league at all. It's shit. Every side in this league would be bottom 2 in the Championship. Including us under the clueless clown. That's the level we're operating at. 

I still think even with McKinnon we'll win this league by 10 points. Going to be a real grind though. Wake me up when May ends. 

Yep, not having this as a tough league at all. It's shit. Every side in this league would be bottom 2 in the Championship. Including us under the clueless clown. That's the level we're operating at. 
I still think even with McKinnon we'll win this league by 10 points. Going to be a real grind though. Wake me up when May ends. 

I honestly think this Raith side would stay up in the Championship, maybe just. Ayr and Arbroath both doing well enough in that league seems to back that up.

Guest Ecosse83
1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I honestly think this Raith side would stay up in the Championship, maybe just. Ayr and Arbroath both doing well enough in that league seems to back that up.

How does that back it up?

7 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Looks like from afar that Hibs were so desperate not to lose Graeme Mathie to Killie that they have promised him George's job rather than it being George's call.

Seems strange him bragging about how proud he is of the players that have come through the academy in his time when there seems to only be one I can think of (Ollie Shaw) , as opposed to when John Park was there when there were loads of them who all went on to have good careers.

I will always regard GC as the architect of our downfall when he gave the  manager's job to his mate Eddie May , then refused to accept his resignation half way through the reason when he was clearly out of his depth, only reluctantly letting him go once it was too late and we were relegation bound. We've never really recovered from that. 

Felt sorry for Eddie May as he was doing a good job where he was with the club. But given the chance he had to give it a go - the rest is history. Cracking player for the club and will remember him for that part of his career at Falkirk.

1 minute ago, Falkirkfan1985 said:

Anyone notice the pies at TFS are shite compared to last year?

The steak pies are brutal. Chunks of beef cooked in watered doon bovril. They stick to the tinfoil base and you need a plastic (bad for the environment) fork to even attempt to eat the feckin thing. 

The worst pie I have ever tasted and that's saying something. 

43 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Felt sorry for Eddie May as he was doing a good job where he was with the club. But given the chance he had to give it a go - the rest is history. Cracking player for the club and will remember him for that part of his career at Falkirk.

Yes I agree , he was an excellent player for us , one of my favs at the time.

And he was doing really well with the youth at FFC.

He was really lost as our manager though.

I really hate it when ex players become the manager - it always tarnishes their legacy. I hope we never see Stainrod or Latapy in charge , I'm hoping none of the MC twitter cult mention this seeing as how keane MC is to please the punters (well just now anyway).   

Edited by Hank von Hell

Think we are close to the stage where a line needs drawn and we back Mark Campbell and his plans.

If the MSG/Board are being 100% honest with him, as recent as the last 48hrs, then this deal is almost complete and only the legal side of his & the clubs terms are being finalised. All shareholders are being written to apparently with regards the sale. 6-8 weeks to go is the timeline mentioned yesterday as 30 days notice is given to shareholders. He also said that a deal is close for the SS with Sandy Alexander.

We really need the in-fighting between the fans and silly comments to be done with. Some of the tit for tat comments here & on that FB page are brutal.

We all care about the club and it’s future, even the majority of the MSG/Board and they need to look at us and themselves in the future if this were to all go belly up.