The Falkirk FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Relegator Ritchie said:

1 lad on the books of Sevco proves absolutely nothing...yet. At the time the academy got the bullet, very little talent had come through for a while and the last thing I was concerning myself with was young lads who might turn out to be assets a further 5/6/7 years down the line. We had just avoided relegation from the Championship and the focus had to be on the immediate future of the Club, which was promotion back to the top flight. That needed investment - it’s just a shame Hartley and Mitch completely fucked that investment otherwise we might be sitting here calling the decision a master stroke. 

We're further away without an academy than we were with one ffs. There are far more great young talents we have lost to other teams out there than just this lad.  Too many people blaming the academy for us being a championship club when its even more obvious now that it was simply shit decisions by the msg/bod that was the problem.  The reason we had had a barren spell was because we kept on selling the young talent before they got a chance top actually play for the first team. The ages we were punting them at were getting younger and younger due to the bod selling them off as soon as they got a half decent bid.  Christ we've still made money from an academy graduate virtually every year for god knows how long whether it being a transfer or a sell on fee.  Absolutely ludicrous decision.

23 minutes ago, Relegator Ritchie said:

1 lad on the books of Sevco proves absolutely nothing...yet. At the time the academy got the bullet, very little talent had come through for a while and the last thing I was concerning myself with was young lads who might turn out to be assets a further 5/6/7 years down the line. We had just avoided relegation from the Championship and the focus had to be on the immediate future of the Club, which was promotion back to the top flight. That needed investment - it’s just a shame Hartley and Mitch completely fucked that investment otherwise we might be sitting here calling the decision a master stroke. 

And if your auntie had baws etc, etc

6 minutes ago, Relegator Ritchie said:

Likewise with keeping the academy 👍

I think the squad size before they okayed funds to increase would be a bigger reason for keeping the academy, we still have to get to January where we lose a few players that were on 6 month deals and we are back to square one with squad size.

7 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I think the squad size before they okayed funds to increase would be a bigger reason for keeping the academy, we still have to get to January where we lose a few players that were on 6 month deals and we are back to square one with squad size.

Most of the extra players he has signed are dross unfortunately.

51 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We're further away without an academy than we were with one ffs. There are far more great young talents we have lost to other teams out there than just this lad.  Too many people blaming the academy for us being a championship club when its even more obvious now that it was simply shit decisions by the msg/bod that was the problem.  The reason we had had a barren spell was because we kept on selling the young talent before they got a chance top actually play for the first team. The ages we were punting them at were getting younger and younger due to the bod selling them off as soon as they got a half decent bid.  Christ we've still made money from an academy graduate virtually every year for god knows how long whether it being a transfer or a sell on fee.  Absolutely ludicrous decision.

For me it will always be the three seasons of Houston the downfall of the academy, there was no chance anyone from the academy were getting a look in.

We had an under 19 Scotland right back and whilst Gasparotto played like a donkey there, O'Hara scores a hat trick in the reserves and couldnt even get a place on the bench when Miller was bailing out McHugh and Baird most weeks struggling to hit a barn door. Houston only gave the academy players a chance when there was no one else to play or when his signings failed, see Gallacher and Botti Biabi

I am not suggesting these players were gonna make us money or take us to promotion but you really have to bleed youngsters to see if they sink or swim and not have players play out of position or sign journey men to sit on the bench or physio bench, which happened under Houston for 3 years.

Edited by MrDust

4 hours ago, TheBrit said:

Make up your mind. 

The bullying does exist, I've seen it happen to pretty much every new poster who signs up. I must be an alias because I'm not just meekly hiding in the background. It's pathetic paranoia from the bully's.  I've also witnessed those who raised concerns on MC rounded on. Shouted down and told nobody is interested. We are better than this as a group. Yes it's fucking pish right now but taking it out on fellow fans is not the way forward. 

*bully's: pertaining to or belonging to a bully

bullies: noun, plural of bully

bullies: verb, he bullies the smaller boy

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

27 minutes ago, MrDust said:

For me it will always be the three seasons of Houston the downfall of the academy, there was no chance anyone from the academy were getting a look in.

We had an under 19 Scotland right back and whilst Gasparotto played like a donkey there, O'Hara scores a hat trick in the reserves and couldnt even get a place on the bench when Miller was bailing out McHugh and Baird most weeks struggling to hit a barn door. Houston only gave the academy players a chance when there was no one else to play or when his signings failed, see Gallacher and Botti Biabi

I am not suggesting these players were gonna make us money or take us to promotion but you really have to bleed youngsters to see if they sink or swim and not have players play out of position or sign journey men to sit on the bench or physio bench, which happened under Houston for 3 years.

They didni get a game cause they weren’t good enough and we had a team that was pushing for promotion.

What’s Houston meant to do? Drop folk who are playing well for the sake of bleeding a young boy to see if he’s shite or no? Get a grip man.

1 minute ago, JinkyBairn said:

They didni get a game cause they weren’t good enough and we had a team that was pushing for promotion.

What’s Houston meant to do? Drop folk who are playing well for the sake of bleeding a young boy to see if he’s shite or no? Get a grip man.

Where did I say drop folk who are playing well ?

If youd rather have watched Gasparoto play right back when we had an u19 Scotland right back, then fair play

We had other options over the 3 yr under Houston but it was always the easy option

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Where did I say drop folk who are playing well ?

If youd rather have watched Gasparoto play right back when we had an u19 Scotland right back, then fair play

We had other options over the 3 yr under Houston but it was always the easy option

Funnily enough that “easy” option took us to a Scottish cup final, a play off final and a play off semi final.

He wasn’t perfect Houston and did sign some stinkers but to say he’s one of the main reasons the academy got canned is just absolutely mental from you.

8 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

It was a shame we didnt have the likes of Biabi and Blair in the 2016/17 season when we actually needed them.  Baird and McHugh were struggling but O'hara still couldnt buy a game and Blair would've been a far better option than the likes of John Rankin and Joe Mckee.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It was a shame we didnt have the likes of Biabi and Blair in the 2016/17 season when we actually needed them.  Baird and McHugh were struggling but O'hara still couldnt buy a game and Blair would've been a far better option than the likes of John Rankin and Joe Mckee.

Surely you’re no talking about Ryan Blair?😂

5 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

Surely you’re no talking about Ryan Blair?😂

Yip he would've been  better option than either of those two. Fecks sake rankin lasted 7 games before getting punted and mckee played what 27 league games in about 3 seasons. Would've cost us far less in wages, so yes I would've rather we had given  Ryan Blair more game time back then .  To me he left too early. Needed to get a lot more games under his belt before his big move. Would've got them that season too. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

33 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

*bully's: pertaining to or belonging to a bully

bullies: noun, plural of bully

bullies: verb, he bullies the smaller boy

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Thank you for correcting me. I'm offering you the hand of friendship now and hope you will put your petty grudge  behind you and we can move on. 

6 minutes ago, TheBrit said:

Thank you for correcting me. I'm offering you the hand of friendship now and hope you will put your petty grudge  behind you and we can move on. 

With an offer as disingenuous as that, I think I will decline your "hand of friendship".