The Falkirk FC Thread

He’s a man under pressure ! Unfortunately your manager is wrong that wasn’t our best 11 even though he’s trying to put a spin on his post match interview, We had Robbie Thomson , Ross Mathews, tony Dingwall, out  injured, Gullane cup tied , Lewis Vaughan played his first 20 mins of football in 9 months, Including in our starting line up was a 16 year old and a 17 year old no excuses McKinnon and stop being very patronising to the opposition and your own fans 

Swapped the goalkeeper, too.

The sooner folk realise that we are going absolutely nowhere with McKinnon in charge, the better.

It won't happen, though, because we have a track record of giving failing managers far too much time to turn things around. Then, when they almost inevitably don't and are belatedly given the bullet, it's too late for anything to change.

Just in and catching up.  Falkirk beaten again by a diddy team from the seaside league and had their hopes of quality silverware dashed?

Have neither the time not the energy to read 4500+ pages, so this may have been asked before.  What about these Falkirk fans who were predicting records point - 100+, record goals - 100+, because they have the best budget in the seaside league and will sweep away all of the pub teams that play in it?  The only success you seem to have had so far is that of disrespecting League 1, though for sure, you have been good at that.

Just now, Fast_Action said:

Just in and catching up.  Falkirk beaten again by a diddy team from the seaside league and had their hopes of quality silverware dashed?

Have neither the time not the energy to read 4500+ pages, so this may have been asked before.  What about these Falkirk fans who were predicting records point - 100+, record goals - 100+, because they have the best budget in the seaside league and will sweep away all of the pub teams that play in it?  The only success you seem to have had so far is that of disrespecting League 1, though for sure, you have been good at that.

I don't think anyone was predicting that, any chance of providing an example?

The BoD will be in a state of complete paralysis over this. What was meant to be a season of dominance such that their previous bouts of gross mismanagement would be forgiven if not forgotten has turned into a clusterfuck that surpasses most of what has gone before.

I doubt that they even trust themselves to get the next decision right.

48 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Russell Latapy, Tony Parks, John Collins, Brian Laudrup

good pick ! Thought of Laudrup he was one of these player that got you on your feet every time he got the ball. But I saw Lubanski pay for Gornik at Brockville. All round player and had everything. Pace, great in the air, two footed, team player, hard as nails, passing short and long. Must have been a nightmare to play against. Remember standing in the Royal Hotel bar after the game and everybody was raving about just how good he was. 1971 and the memory is still with me.

49 minutes ago, Gaz said:

It won't happen, though, because we have a track record of giving failing managers far too much time to turn things around. Then, when they almost inevitably don't and are belatedly given the bullet, it's too late for anything to change.

That's not true though, certainly not recently. Hartley got 3 league games and was out before the end of August. Houston failed to win any of his first seven league games the season before and was gone by mid September. You can accuse them of many, many things but I don't think failure to react in relation to an undeforming manager is one of them. I thought they were pretty ruthless in both of these decisions. Where I would question them is in the apparent complete lack of any scrutiny of his position at the end of last season after a woeful last 7 or 8 weeks culminating in relegation. McKinnon appeared to vanish for four or five weeks and the board went to ground whilst the flak was flying. Strong leadership was required, none was forthcoming. The difference may be that the likes of Lang and obviously Campbell are no longer in situ and someone like Miller is seemingly running the football side of things (god help us) and would presumably be front and centre of any decisions on hiring and firing. Confidence in all levels of management at the club amongst supporters must be at an all time low. 

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

This is turgid and we are all saying the same thing using different words. In other words we are not very good oh ! ok then we are sh*te.

So to change of subject and take our minds off the misery for a short while. From players you have seen.

Best player seen in a Falkirk Jersey ?

Best goalkeeper seen in a Falkirk Jersey ?

Best opposition Scottish player seen play at Brockville or the Falkirk stadium ?

Best opposition non Scottish player seen play at Brockville or the Falkirk stadium ?

No body right nobody wrong its personal opinion and a bit of fun.

To get things started here is mine.

Stainrod - Whigham - Jimmy Johnstone - Lubanski.

To be honest, I’m not sure anything can take my mind off an abomination of a start of a season such as this for 3 flippin’  years in a row...

Stainrod, Gordon Marshall, Kenny Dalglish, Laudrop

Urgh, memories.....we’ll never get back to mixing it with the likes ever again.

Edited by HonestAl

55 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

good pick ! Thought of Laudrup he was one of these player that got you on your feet every time he got the ball. But I saw Lubanski pay for Gornik at Brockville. All round player and had everything. Pace, great in the air, two footed, team player, hard as nails, passing short and long. Must have been a nightmare to play against. Remember standing in the Royal Hotel bar after the game and everybody was raving about just how good he was. 1971 and the memory is still with me.

Yeah, 0-4. I was there, Brockville not the Royal Hotel (that pre match ritual came a couple of years later). 

We didn’t have a bad team.....Gornik seemed world class.

I can’t believe how many league one supporters there are on this thread with no sense of humour and serious chips on their shoulders. Anyone who actually reads this thread would know that many of our own believe we have a team who should be capable of walking the league stifled by a manager who doesn’t have a clue.
I must admit, I’m not convinced that many of the players are as good as they are portrayed, but my main concern is that I genuinely don’t think half of them care a fig. The days of players that cared such as Vaulks, Sibbald etc are now long behind us since this strategy was adopted by the board.
The difference today was that the Raith players went out to prove a point that they are capable of winning the division. We went out thinking we’d breeze it, but, as usual never even looked like scoring....

That's me done. My lowest ebb as a Falkirk fan. No connection at all anymore. Even during the crisis we had each other with back the bairns etc years ago. Now I think with the galacticos we have for that league, which let's be honest compared to the rest of that shite that squad really are, Ray is a fucking dumplin. Too feart to be dumped. Little fucking weed. Grow some balls. I'm out

8 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

That's me done. My lowest ebb as a Falkirk fan. No connection at all anymore. Even during the crisis we had each other with back the bairns etc years ago. Now I think with the galacticos we have for that league, which let's be honest compared to the rest of that shite that squad really are, Ray is a fucking dumplin. Too feart to be dumped. Little fucking weed. Grow some balls. I'm out

f**k me, you get beat by a better team and you throw in the towel, perhaps football is not for you.

27 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I must admit, I’m not convinced that many of the players are as good as they are portrayed, but my main concern is that I genuinely don’t think half of them care a fig. The days of players that cared such as Vaulks, Sibbald etc are now long behind us since this strategy was adopted by the board.

Not to be cynical, but I think the emptying out from relegation has really broken the fan connection at Falkirk, to an extent that’s seldom seen. Looking at your roster, I see about four players from 2018-2019 that are carried onto the 2019-2020 squad, is that correct? You expect turnover, but that leaves fans with less than 20% of the team they remember, and now they are playing genuinely unattractive football. Until the ownership fiasco resolves, you are likely stuck with Ray, and that could put a serious kink in your drive for automatic promotion.

I also pity the next coach, because there is little sign that these players can be fused into a coherent team, but that’s what they pay the coach for.

Not to be cynical, but I think the emptying out from relegation has really broken the fan connection at Falkirk, to an extent that’s seldom seen. Looking at your roster, I see about four players from 2018-2019 that are carried onto the 2019-2020 squad, is that correct? You expect turnover, but that leaves fans with less than 20% of the team they remember, and now they are playing genuinely unattractive football. Until the ownership fiasco resolves, you are likely stuck with Ray, and that could put a serious kink in your drive for automatic promotion.
I also pity the next coach, because there is little sign that these players can be fused into a coherent team, but that’s what they pay the coach for.

It’s a strange one. I, like many others, don’t feel too much affinity towards the club, the players or the manager. However we still turn up in decent numbers.
I haven’t felt too much affection since Houstie left as manager...although it was his time to go. Closing the academy for me is this one that irked me the most. The one thing to be proud of as a Bairn was that we were bringing through a few of our own. Now we just sign journeymen. As can be seen in our performances so far this season and how little many of them care. As long as they get their wages.
I fear that if this season is a washout, those numbers will start to drop quite sharply....

38 minutes ago, TxRover said:

We had a turnover just about as big in the winter before and the summer before that. I also wouldn't say our football is any less attractive than the last two seasons. I personally think resignation towards the people in charge is the main problem and that possibly looks to change soon. Couldn't see any new owner sticking with Ray.

56 minutes ago, Gollum said:

We had a turnover just about as big in the winter before and the summer before that. I also wouldn't say our football is any less attractive than the last two seasons. 

That’ll certainly do it.  You turn over the term once or twice, and suddenly the peripheral fans don’t find the connection...”who are these guys?” That’s when the team needs to retool with some local youth talent that the fans can get behind and cheer for. Raith is finally looking to be doing this for real, and the fan interest seems to have ticked up a bit. The closing of the youth academy will hamper that job for you, but immediate promotion would help a bit. However, unless this collection of “talent” that McKinnion selected can gel, you might have a few issues with that too.