The Falkirk FC Thread

31 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

No we dont need all 4 of them was what i was saying.  And we only brought in 3 new players so we could only replace 3 of the current squad.  I never said who. Probably dixon, mcshane and connolly.

Ok, as I say, maybe there's times when you're not making yourself entirely clear?

Other than the obvious lack of width, which I personally think is best solved with wing-backs and, as you say, perhaps a box to box midfielder I think that the squad is quite well balanced which maybe shows that the glaring problem is that McKinnon isn't using it properly. I really hope that he wakes up soon to smell the coffee because he seems like a good guy and it would be nice if it was him that managed to get us back at it again.

What I'd give for McCall to be our manager. Simple 442 formation with some good football. f**k me it's not that hard is it??

Bearing in mind he played 3-5-2 in his last spell with us no guarantee of that

2 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Ray's report card:  MUST IMPROVE URGENTLY

Assembling a squad for a seaside league:    9.5/10
Getting the best out of a player:    4/10
Tactics:   3/10
Team playing as a unit:   4/10
Creating attacking football:   5/10
Team playing entertaining football:  2/10

I make that 27.5 out of 60.  Just my post-it note scribble.  Looks about right to me.

9.5/10 for this squad of guff 😂

No width, two full backs who look like they've never seen a football before, no striking options off the bench 

Guest Ecosse83
27 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Bearing in mind he played 3-5-2 in his last spell with us no guarantee of that

Played to our strengths that season. Every time I've seen Ayr they have played the simple 442. 

He's just a better manager than McKinnon and will play what suits the team. 

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Ok, as I say, maybe there's times when you're not making yourself entirely clear?

Other than the obvious lack of width, which I personally think is best solved with wing-backs and, as you say, perhaps a box to box midfielder I think that the squad is quite well balanced which maybe shows that the glaring problem is that McKinnon isn't using it properly. I really hope that he wakes up soon to smell the coffee because he seems like a good guy and it would be nice if it was him that managed to get us back at it again.

As much as I wouldve liked 3-5-2 this season, I dont think we have wing-backs for it with Dixon and Doyle this season, Doyle is 110% but his final ball and attacking into the final third isnt that great, Queens fan alluded to that he thought his best position is centre half as it took that part away from him. I dont think I need to mention Dixon's attacking prowess.

Good guys dont make good managers, they might have wethers originals in their pockets tho

4 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

The current squad should be pissin' this league, they are definitely being hindered by McKinnon

I think you’re deluding yourself there. For their salaries, they should be pissing the league...but the group of players McKinnon has assembled are not a team, they are more of a loose confederation. It’s kinda like McKinnon assumed his job was to assemble a Rube Goldberg style scoring machine and is just tossing it all onto the field, with little in the way of strategy, hoping it’ll all work out.

That being said, with a careful selection, I suspect you could make a team of sorts from that pile of parts, but that’s well beyond ol’Ray.

24 minutes ago, MrDust said:

As much as I wouldve liked 3-5-2 this season, I dont think we have wing-backs for it with Dixon and Doyle this season, Doyle is 110% but his final ball and attacking into the final third isnt that great, Queens fan alluded to that he thought his best position is centre half as it took that part away from him. I dont think I need to mention Dixon's attacking prowess.

Good guys dont make good managers, they might have wethers originals in their pockets tho

Oh aye, I know, we don't have the players to play wing back unfortunately although I'd settle for Doyle in that role if we had a credible option on the left too. There's only really Connolly & McLean also that could be remotely described as wingers so I think the lack of width is going to cost us big time.

I’m not convinced we have the ideal personnel for a 3-5-2 either but still think we could play it. I’d even go for a 3-4-1-2. 

Teams are sitting in and playing 1 up front against us so if our 3 centre half’s can’t cope with that we’re as well calling it a day the now. 

It would then allow us to get some width on the pitch...something we are drastically lacking. It would take away the fact that Paul Dixon is our attacking outlet down the left. It would allow us to play one of our numerous number 10’s (be it Telfer, Tidser, Longridge) in an actual number 10 role and have our 2 up front. 

It wouldn’t be perfect but by f*ck what I’ve watched so far this season certainly isn’t either. 

I think McKinnon might burn the midnight oil running through every permutation he can think of, but come a Friday, he’s back in the familiar and comfortable place of “ Right, f**k it. We go again with what I know, and maybe it’ll come good this week if I swap a couple of midfielders around. Paul, just keep doing the same stuff. We are getting stronger. I can feel it”.

52 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

I’m not convinced we have the ideal personnel for a 3-5-2 either but still think we could play it. I’d even go for a 3-4-1-2. 

Teams are sitting in and playing 1 up front against us so if our 3 centre half’s can’t cope with that we’re as well calling it a day the now. 

It would then allow us to get some width on the pitch...something we are drastically lacking. It would take away the fact that Paul Dixon is our attacking outlet down the left. It would allow us to play one of our numerous number 10’s (be it Telfer, Tidser, Longridge) in an actual number 10 role and have our 2 up front. 

It wouldn’t be perfect but by f*ck what I’ve watched so far this season certainly isn’t either. 

I think you're probably right with the 3-4-1-2 thing. 3 defenders should be enough so I think we could play Doyle, Telfer, Gomis and Connolly across the middle with Tidser or Longridge behind the strikers. It's certainly not ideal and a bit unbalanced but would give us at least some width. Dickson would be important in that formation though because Connolly would offer very little cover defensively.

a lot of formations being discussed, one things for sure, Dumbarton aside where we got an early goal, the existing formation doesn't work. if he continues to persevere with it with the same poor performances he deserves all he gets.

the wing backs aren't working and that needs changed immediately.

10 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think McKinnon might burn the midnight oil running through every permutation he can think of, but come a Friday, he’s back in the familiar and comfortable place of “ Right, f**k it. We go again with what I know, and maybe it’ll come good this week if I swap a couple of midfielders around. Paul, just keep doing the same stuff. We are getting stronger. I can feel it”.

He only has one way of playing no matter the players at his disposal.  Decent managers either decide the way they are going to play and sign players to fit into that or play a formation that suits the players they already have.

He's been persevering with the same formation  or round about the same formation  since the turn of the year so I cant see him changing any time soon.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He only has one way of playing no matter the players at his disposal.  Decent managers either decide the way they are going to play and sign players to fit into that or play a formation that suits the players they already have.

He's been persevering with the same formation  or round about the same formation  since the turn of the year so I cant see him changing any time soon.

We can only hope he finds something that works like he did at Utd, tho that took 5 or so months to swap 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2, similar at Raith but with personnel

18 minutes ago, MrDust said:

We can only hope he finds something that works like he did at Utd, tho that took 5 or so months to swap 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2, similar at Raith but with personnel

Surely if it worked at United he'd still be there. They were struggling in 4th with the biggest budget in the league by a country mile when he got punted.  Forward on a few years and history is repeating itself.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

24 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Surely if it worked at United he'd still be there. They were struggling in 4th with the biggest budget in the league by a country mile when he got punted.  Forward on a few years and history is repeating itself.

He reverted back to 4-2-3-1 following season after losing in the play offs