The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Doyle would be fine in a 442. You don't need tidser gomis ,telfer and mcshane in the squad  never mind the team. McLean is a waste of a wage . Sammon is fine if you can get a wide player to hit the bye line and supply crosses.  They aren't all shit but some of them aren't good enough and others are just too similar to what we have.

Well, I'm afraid that I have to say that this is just utter bollox. If you think that we, as a L1 team, could attract better players than those you've listed you're deluded. Sammon's biggest asset IMO is using his pace (that you think he doesn't have) to chase balls over the top, I actually think he's not that good in the air.

You've omitted telling us who you think we should have signed instead btw.

6 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Aye but most are shite if they are 18 or 32

Not denying that, just answering the point about it being an "old" squad.

6 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Most of them have legs like 30.year old plus players though. None have real pace and that is a huge problem. You look at all the league winning sides we have had in recent times and they all had pace in the team.  Mcquilken, Lawrie, samuel, duffy...... You need pace on your side especially at this level but our squad is full of one paced slow as treacle players.

I've heard it all now.

4 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Aye, Sammon against Peterhead I think. A cute through ball and he went flying past a defender whio had a two yard start on him. Not had much opportunity to show that again as we just launch howitzers up for him to challenge in the air. 

Yep, Sammon is much better on the deck than he is in the air...

26 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Doyle would be fine in a 442. You don't need tidser gomis ,telfer and mcshane in the squad  never mind the team. McLean is a waste of a wage . Sammon is fine if you can get a wide player to hit the bye line and supply crosses.  They aren't all shit but some of them aren't good enough and others are just too similar to what we have.

Are you forgetting we are in League 1?

27 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Well, I'm afraid that I have to say that this is just utter bollox. If you think that we, as a L1 team, could attract better players than those you've listed you're deluded. Sammon's biggest asset IMO is using his pace (that you think he doesn't have) to chase balls over the top, I actually think he's not that good in the air.

You've omitted telling us who you think we should have signed instead btw.

I have no problem with Sammon. I have no problem with gomis. Tidser is obviously a decent player but do we need him and mcshane on top of gomis?  As people have mentioned he has signed some good players but I don't think we have a good squad. Not enough variety in it especially in the middle of the park. We're crying out for a guy that can go box to box with a bit of pace and drive. We don't really have anyone that goes beyond the strikers either .  What does the likes of mclean add to the party? Denny Johnstone did very little except get fit . Did he really deserve a deal or could Mckinnon simply not be arsed looking for an alternative.  On Saturday if you look at the bench and see mclean, johnstone, moore etc do you really feel that bringing them on is going to make any difference what so ever apart from maybe fresh legs?  People are too obsessed with the individual players and thinking oh hes a good player for this level, when you need to see how they fit into the structure of the team as can be seen when he sticks mcshane, gomis and tidser in the same midfield and create the square root of feck all. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

7 minutes ago, KiwiDB said:

Not denying that, just answering the point about it being an "old" squad.

I've heard it all now.

Yep, Sammon is much better on the deck than he is in the air...

Are you forgetting we are in League 1?

No the completely awful standard of football we are putting on show every Saturday is reminding me we are in league one. 

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I have no problem with Sammon. I have no problem with gomis. Tidser is obviously a decent player but do we need him and mcshane on top of gomis?  As people have mentioned he has signed some good players but I don't think we have a good squad. Not enough variety in it especially in the middle of the park. We're crying out for a guy that can go box to box with a bit of pace and drive. We don't really have anyone that goes beyond the strikers either .  What does the likes of mclean add to the party? Denny Johnstone did very little except get fit . Did he really deserve a deal or could Mckinnon simply not be arsed looking for an alternative.  On Saturday if you look at the bench and see mclean, johnstone, moore etc do you really feel that bringing them on is going to make any difference what so ever apart from maybe fresh legs?  People are too obsessed with the individual players and thinking oh hes a good player for this level, when you need to see how they fit into the structure of the team as can be seen when he sticks mcshane, gomis and tidser in the same midfield and create the square root of feck all. 

You said that Sammon has no pace and should be a squad player. You said that Gomis, Tidser, McShane & Telfer shouldn't even be in the squad.

In an ideal world I wouldn't have McShane, Gomis & Tidser in the same midfield unless he tried using Tidser behind the strikers and I think that Telfer's creative enough to be used in front of McShane anyway. I agree that a box to box man would have been good, no idea if he tried to bring anyone of that ilk in or if it's a failure in his part in not trying? 

I think that McLean & Johnstone have been brought in as back-up and, in that context, I think that's fine. Miller doesn't have a bad pedigree either, maybe he could be used as a midfield runner given that he's apparently quite versatile?

Again, the only signing that doesn't seem to fit for me is Moore. I think that McKinnon may play him on Saturday though so maybe that will give us more of an idea?

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Tidser is a completely different player to McShane and Gomis....

I think it was the Clyde game early on, he pops up on the edge of the box and makes a great pass in behind the defence for Telfer who fires it across the six yard line begging for a tap in.... not for the first time this season it's a foot too far in front of the strikers and the chance is gone.

That's where he needs to be played rather than sitting deeper.

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

You said that Sammon has no pace and should be a squad player. You said that Gomis, Tidser, McShane & Telfer shouldn't even be in the squad.

In an ideal world I wouldn't have McShane, Gomis & Tidser in the same midfield unless he tried using Tidser behind the strikers and I think that Telfer's creative enough to be used in front of McShane anyway. I agree that a box to box man would have been good, no idea if he tried to bring anyone of that ilk in or if it's a failure in his part in not trying? 

I think that McLean & Johnstone have been brought in as back-up and, in that context, I think that's fine. Miller doesn't have a bad pedigree either, maybe he could be used as a midfield runner given that he's apparently quite versatile?

Again, the only signing that doesn't seem to fit for me is Moore. I think that McKinnon may play him on Saturday though so maybe that will give us more of an idea?

I never said at any point he should be a squad player. I said that we should have been bringing in players better than ones that we had ie better than mcshane, better than dixon, connolly etc . Players that can replace or add to the starting options.  Gomis , tidser, mcshane and telfer.  To me one of them is at least too many. We dont need all four in the squad especially the first 3 when we lack in other areas of midfield.  Mclean and Johnstone to me add nothing. If we're struggling in games like we are I'm hardly champing at the bit to see either of them come on to change the game.  We really need a fox in the box shane lavery type striker as another option not a slow cumbersome boy with fecked knees.  Mclean is versatyle as he can be shit in any position. Slow , cant beat a man and should never have been given a contract any longer than to the end of last season. 

14 minutes ago, KiwiDB said:

Tidser is a completely different player to McShane and Gomis....

I think it was the Clyde game early on, he pops up on the edge of the box and makes a great pass in behind the defence for Telfer who fires it across the six yard line begging for a tap in.... not for the first time this season it's a foot too far in front of the strikers and the chance is gone.

That's where he needs to be played rather than sitting deeper.

Tidser wont be of benefit though unless you start playing with width.  Teams at the moment just flood the middle of the park knowing we have feck all ability out wide.  Anyone that needs a bit of time to pass the ball like him just gets crowded out.  Thats why if your going to pay the kind of formation we are you need decent wingbacks and players that can move the ball quickly. Anyway nothing will change under the current useless clown. We'll still be playing narrow diamonds with thee sitting midfielders till the cows come home.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I never said at any point he should be a squad player. I said that we should have been bringing in players better than ones that we had ie better than mcshane, better than dixon, connolly etc . Players that can replace or add to the starting options.  Gomis , tidser, mcshane and telfer.  To me one of them is at least too many. We dont need all four in the squad especially the first 3 when we lack in other areas of midfield.  Mclean and Johnstone to me add nothing. If we're struggling in games like we are I'm hardly champing at the bit to see either of them come on to change the game.  We really need a fox in the box shane lavery type striker as another option not a slow cumbersome boy with fecked knees.  Mclean is versatyle as he can be shit in any position. Slow , cant beat a man and should never have been given a contract any longer than to the end of last season. 

I think one of your biggest problems Shadwell is that you say things that you don't actually mean.

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think one of your biggest problems Shadwell is that you say things that you don't actually mean.

I never mentioned any names . All i said was we should be bringing in better players than we have and not just bodies.  You were the one that brought up Sammon along with Tidser, Telfer, and Doyle.  Doyle is fine although needs to play in a 442 for me.  Sammon would be fine if we can create some chances for him. Would like to see us  getting to the byeline more and cutting the ball back for him like against Dumbarton when he scored a cracker.  Lack of width prevents that though. Not sure he and mcmanus are a good partnership but both are a mile better than Johnstone.  Tidser would be better if he had a runner alongside him and we had width in the team. He can pass a ball but needs time and space to do it.  Telfer has shown in flashes what he can do but doesnt seem to have nailed down a position yet really.  To me we need more options in the middle of the park and a decent left winger at least.  We then need to get back to basics with the formation and play to the players we have strengths instead of shoe horning them into Mckinnons favourite formation.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I never mentioned any names . All i said was we should be bringing in better players than we have and not just bodies.  You were the one that brought up Sammon along with Tidser, Telfer, and Doyle.  Doyle is fine although needs to play in a 442 for me.  Sammon would be fine if we can create some chances for him. Would like to see us  getting to the byeline more and cutting the ball back for him like against Dumbarton when he scored a cracker.  Lack of width prevents that though. Not sure he and mcmanus are a good partnership but both are a mile better than Johnstone.  Tidser would be better if he had a runner alongside him and we had width in the team. He can pass a ball but needs time and space to do it.  Telfer has shown in flashes what he can do but doesnt seem to have nailed down a position yet really.  To me we need more options in the middle of the park and a decent left winger at least.  We then need to get back to basics with the formation and play to the players we have strengths instead of shoe horning them into Mckinnons favourite formation.

Well, unless you're going to claim that Shadwell & Shodwall are two different people then I'm afraid that you're wrong.

33 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Well, unless you're going to claim that Shadwell & Shodwall are two different people then I'm afraid that you're wrong.

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Would anyone really have complained if we had missed out on the likes of moore and millar? I very much doubt it.  Having extra bodies is ok if the first team is firing on all cylinders but we need players to play in the team every week at the moment as the guys who are arent performing.  We should've been signing players better than the guys we have and using the guys we have as squad players . Lets face it if the guys he signed cant get in the team just now when we are absolutely honking then I doubt they will ever get much of a chance.

Your reply:

Completely agree. Who, in your opinion, could we have signed that would have allowed Tidser, Telfer, Doyle, Sammon etc to be squad players?

As above you brought up those players not me.

Edited by Shodwall cat

5 hours ago, Sanity check needed. said:

Still think with the right manager and current squad we will win this league with some to spare, just need the tempo picked up and to play with some width like we did against dumbarton even though dumbarton were poor we still played the game the right way and stretched them

This. The current squad should be pissin' this league, they are definitely being hindered by McKinnon. I love your avatar, I agree entirely with its sentiments. It is also good to see that there is somebody else who posts on here who has the same dazzling computer skills as myself. 😋

29 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:
  5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Would anyone really have complained if we had missed out on the likes of moore and millar? I very much doubt it.  Having extra bodies is ok if the first team is firing on all cylinders but we need players to play in the team every week at the moment as the guys who are arent performing.  We should've been signing players better than the guys we have and using the guys we have as squad players . Lets face it if the guys he signed cant get in the team just now when we are absolutely honking then I doubt they will ever get much of a chance.

Your reply:

Completely agree. Who, in your opinion, could we have signed that would have allowed Tidser, Telfer, Doyle, Sammon etc to be squad players?

As above you brought up those players not me.

Thanks, you've showed that you said that we should have been 'using the guys we have as squad players'. Last time I checked that included Tidser, Telfer, Doyle & Sammon. You also claimed that McShane, Tidser, Gomis and Telfer shouldn't be in the squad at all. Is that what you meant or not? 

Ray's report card:  MUST IMPROVE URGENTLY

Assembling a squad for a seaside league:    9.5/10
Getting the best out of a player:    4/10
Tactics:   3/10
Team playing as a unit:   4/10
Creating attacking football:   5/10
Team playing entertaining football:  2/10

I make that 27.5 out of 60.  Just my post-it note scribble.  Looks about right to me.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

59 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I make that 27.5 out of 60.  Just my post-it note scribble.  Looks about right to me.

Your scores are way too high...

1 hour ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

And still getting paid over £100k per year. Who's laughing at whom.

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Thanks, you've showed that you said that we should have been 'using the guys we have as squad players'. Last time I checked that included Tidser, Telfer, Doyle & Sammon. You also claimed that McShane, Tidser, Gomis and Telfer shouldn't be in the squad at all. Is that what you meant or not? 

No we dont need all 4 of them was what i was saying.  And we only brought in 3 new players so we could only replace 3 of the current squad.  I never said who. Probably dixon, mcshane and connolly.

Edited by Shodwall cat