The Falkirk FC Thread

Ray came to Falkirk around this time a year ago with an immediate wave of enthusiasm from the fans, leaving a team (near the) top of the Championship to do so.  Get a few points where possible until January, then Ray can spend some cash to bring in his own (i.e. selected) players. The Board and Fans backed him on this.

Well, what a letdown. Not only relegation, but poor standard of play.

You know, we weren’t that sure just who was to blame - playing squad, circumstances, MSG.

That one can now be put to bed. Pure and simple - The Manager!
Players that were at TFS last season that were rarely played or released are showing their worth elsewhere (Lavery, Irvine even Dallison ffs).  Largest budget in League 1, and we’re reasonably happy with players signed - easily good enough to win this division. Team set up and tactics that we endured in the Championship are now continuing this season, with the same level of success (i.e. basically failure).

This is undoubtedly Ray’s last job as a manager, just a question as to whether this ends in the next month, or next May. If it’s the latter, Falkirk will remain in League 1 for 2020-21.

Oh, and this is not the time to bring in an untried, inexperienced manager (Kerr) no matter who is the assistant.

Edited by HonestAl

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

Answering my own question with the help of Google.

http://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/2019/03/scottish-football-finances.html

Very few it seems.

I think this is quite telling :

ST MIRREN
TURNOVER £2.8m (2016/17: £2.4m)
PROFIT £77k (2016/17: £15k)

How much does promotion cost? Well, St. Mirren only made a profit because they sold Stevie Mallan and Lewis Morgan for £700k.

Even presuming John Park can work his magic it's hardly the money making machine some think it is - definitely no guarantees of a profit even in the Premiership going by some. 

Gone @ the Ross County part.  Nareystoepoker is an ICT man and it's obvious to see 😂

Ray came to Falkirk around this time a year ago with an immediate wave of enthusiasm from the fans, leaving a team (near the) top of the Championship to do so.  Get a few points where possible until January, then Ray can spend some cash to bring in his own (i.e. selected) players. The Board and Fans backed him on this.
You know, we weren’t that sure just who was to blame - playing squad, circumstances, MSG.
Players that were at TFS last season that were rarely played or released are showing their worth elsewhere (Lavery, Irvine even Dallison ffs).  Largest budget in League 1, and we’re reasonably happy with players signed - easily good enough to win this division. Team set up and tactics that we endured in the Championship are now continuing this season, with the same level of success (i.e. basically failure).
This is undoubtedly Ray’s last job as a manager, just a question as to whether this ends in the next month, or next May. If it’s the latter, Falkirk will remain in League 1 for 2020-21.
Oh, and this is not the time to bring in an untried, inexperienced manager (Kerr) no matter who is the assistant.

Disagree on manager.

Undoubtedly Rays last job as a manager?

May I remind you that Paul Hartley currently has a managers job

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We just need to hope he gets the boot sooner rather than later.He'll get another job but will be a case of having to drop down the leagues and work his way up again. Mind you Jim Duffy has a catalogue of failed jobs and still manages to get a gig at a half decent level so you never know.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Despite being a Cup game next week, I think we all know that McKinnon will be terrified of Raith, and will go there looking for a point (sic).

A year at the helm, and it’s pretty clear he isn’t really a student of the game. Regardless of what league he is operating in, or what players he has at his disposal, he only knows one way of doing things. If he was made manager of Liverpool tomorrow, he would deploy the same turgid pish there too.

The fact that over the course of a season, it has failed every single time, is something that he has always explained away as no fault of his own.

He doesn’t learn from failure. He just repeats it somewhere else.

We just need to hope he gets the boot sooner rather than later.He'll get another job but will be a case of having to drop down the leagues and work his way up again. Mind you Jim Duffy has a catalogue of failed jobs and still manages to get a gig at a half decent level so you never know.

Jim Duffy is a half decent manager, better than any of the absolute guff we have had in the last few years. They might even finish higher than us if we continue with our predictable p***k!

Despite being a Cup game next week, I think we all know that McKinnon will be terrified of Raith, and will go there looking for a point (sic).
A year at the helm, and it’s pretty clear he isn’t really a student of the game. Regardless of what league he is operating in, or what players he has at his disposal, he only knows one way of doing things. If he was made manager of Liverpool tomorrow, he would deploy the same turgid pish there too.
The fact that over the course of a season, it has failed every single time, is something that he has always explained away as no fault of his own.
He doesn’t learn from failure. He just repeats it somewhere else.

Nothing is going to happen however as the director responsible for football matters in away for another 2/3 weeks.

While Hell burns and all that.......

I think Cove was realistically the only job Hartley was going to get considering his Father in laws job is Director of Football there. Not sure anyone else would touch him after his disastrous time with us!

42 minutes ago, Top Bins said:

Jim Duffy is a half decent manager, better than any of the absolute guff we have had in the last few years. They might even finish higher than us if we continue with our predictable p***k!

Duffy has won one league one winners medal in his what 30 years of management?  The guy got hibs relegated and has done nothing of any other note since he took us to within touching  distance of a first division title. How he keeps getting jobs is beyond me.

15 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Duffy has won one league one winners medal in his what 30 years of management?  The guy got hibs relegated and has done nothing of any other note since he took us to within touching  distance of a first division title. How he keeps getting jobs is beyond me.

You could pretty much say that about the lot of the usual suspects when it comes to the managerial merry go round RM included. You have AJ, McIntyre, McKinnon, Locke, Duffy, McGlynn to name a few.

16 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

You could pretty much say that about the lot of the usual suspects when it comes to the managerial merry go round RM included. You have AJ, McIntyre, McKinnon, Locke, Duffy, McGlynn to name a few.

I don't rate many of them either but none of them can point to 30 years of failure.

1 hour ago, Top Bins said:

not sure what his huge failures have been recently.  did very well with morton, doing well with dumbarton.

would take in a heartbeat.

Edited by tirso

would also point out Yogi hughes has won multiple trophies including leagues, cups and national cup, taken teams to Hampden umpteen times, taken real provincial clubs to Europe and has a certain style of play.

A lot of people woudln't touch with a barge pole.  

I'd bring back Yogi in a heartbeat as well if I didn't think the modern footballer had become powderpuff.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

DKD released from County.

We got super Louis Longridge tho..!!

Yes I could cry....

I said it pre season that DKD would be a great bit of business if we could get him in, I'd expect him to maybe go closer to home or lower championship, our budget has been spent on slow midfielders