The Falkirk FC Thread

33 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Do you have a link to him saying this, either in a TV interview on a newpaper report?

I certainly haven't seen anything like that.

Sorry, you're right. Post match berwick interview hes asked about injuries and shows his frustration at the lack of cover. He doesn't actually say there will no more signings, just hints at it.

5 minutes ago, champions said:

Sorry, you're right. Post match berwick interview hes asked about injuries and shows his frustration at the lack of cover. He doesn't actually say there will no more signings, just hints at it.

Is he not asked if there would be any more new faces coming in this week and replies no. Certainly cant remember him saying there wouldnt be any fullstop.

8 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

I second that...……...up with the semi final win at Ibrox v Celtic some three years later as one of my most memorable nights supporting the Bairns...………...oh for today to possess a fraction of that tactical know how, self belief and willingness to attack, plus of course the left foot of Stevie Fulton and the finishing prowess of wee RItchie………..

Used to be far better at ibrox when they gave you the bottom tier of the broomloan.  Now stuck in the corner its complete pish.

Whatever happened to good old 442. Should be the stock formation for us at this level.  Suits our fullbacks too as they can both defend but arent the best going forward. U then have the likes of connolly , telfer or lingridge providing width in front of them.

18 minutes ago, champions said:

Yep, that was my reading of it at the time.

I think it's fairly obvious that more money has been released now as there was at least one trialist who expected to get a contract from us and ended up having to go elsewhere.  It was after he left that McKinnon gave the interview you're referring to.

Possibly it suggests that things are progressing well in relation to the takeover / due diligence, though that's pure guesswork on my part.

40 minutes ago, Mevilc Bairn said:

So if Dixon was injured who in current squad could fill in at left back. I'm thinking probably Tidser

Sure Doyle has played left back before, Toshney and Durnan have done right back but with having 5 defenders, there is no room for two or more being out, which will happen. I'm surprised the signings have been forward areas 

I wonder if loans might cover lack of defence numbers

31 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Whatever happened to good old 442. Should be the stock formation for us at this level.  Suits our fullbacks too as they can both defend but arent the best going forward. U then have the likes of connolly , telfer or lingridge providing width in front of them.

Big athletic goalie commanding the box

One defensive fullback one attacking fullback

Two footballing centre backs

Midfield of - one passer with close control. one wide player with pace. one ball winner to boss the opposition. one craftsman doing the un expected.

Forwards - strong centre forward with pace and good in the air partnered by a buzzing trickster playing off other player.

If you have players able to switch positions all the better.

Think back to the good Falkirk teams and that is how they played.

2 hours ago, Rocco said:
3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:
Yep, we should have been looking for  right & left wing backs that could ideally play as proper full backs too. We'd then have Doyle and Dixon available to cover Durnan, Toshney & Buchanan in the middle. Easier said than done of course to get the quality he would want v those available.
IMO we should be playing a 3-5-2 in this league anyway, especially at home. We need width. Very, very good chance that we'd have scored on Saturday if it was wee Tommy delivering those crosses rather than Dixon.

Are wing backs that easy to find? Most teams play 4 at the back in Scotland so I'd suspect finding wing backs won't be easy

I think you're right which is why I said it would be easier said than done. He did, however, have a perfectly good wing back on the books last season and could easily have kept him if he'd said he was going to play him.

Dixons delivery of the ball isnt terrible. Its the lazy unambitious positons from which he shells them in. If he would overlap yhe midfielder hed be ok but he wont either because theres no one out wide to start a move with or by the time there is the opposition are back, squared up to him and he just cant do it then. Neither fast enough nor willing to gamble.

Dixons delivery of the ball isnt terrible. Its the lazy unambitious positons from which he shells them in. If he would overlap yhe midfielder hed be ok but he wont either because theres no one out wide to start a move with or by the time there is the opposition are back, squared up to him and he just cant do it then. Neither fast enough nor willing to gamble.
I suspect Dixon knows his limitations. He'll know himself that if he hits the byeline time and time again then he will be blowing out his arse after 60 minutes. It's all about setting the team up so you're not requiring that from him

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In other words, he's just not a wing back. In much the same way that TR wasn't a full back.

I suspect Dixon knows his limitations. He'll know himself that if he hits the byeline time and time again then he will be blowing out his arse after 60 minutes. It's all about setting the team up so you're not requiring that from him
Yeah. He doesnt need to be doing it every time but his opposite number doesnt need to think too much if Dixon never ever takes the other option. You just stand up to him as high up the park as possible and he will hoof it into the box