The Falkirk FC Thread

Not concerned about the score this evening. With a little luck we could have had a couple more early in the second half and after the third / McShane came off the foot came off the gas a little.

Mutch - only had one save to make. Claimed every cross and corner convincingly and always on the look out to release the ball early.

Doyle - he put in a huge shift down the wing. Bailed the centre backs out one time when they were beat in a race by the striker. He's a really strong lad too. Excellent defensively. His deliveries were pretty woeful though. The best result from his attacks was when he got fouled near the corner flag giving us a good free kick.

Dixon - mostly solid. Most of his crosses packed pace, but were into good areas and were where 2 of our goals came from. Unlucky with a piledriver shot. Had a mix up with Gomis which led to the Berwick shot on goal in a dangerous position.

Buchanan - won most things that came near him in the air. Nice touch at the end giving the armband to a young fan.

Toshney - looked OK. One keystone cops moment with Buchanan at the end which Berwick will be kicking themselves they didn't manage to score from.

Gomis - I criticised him a couple of weeks ago for ducking out of tackles. Not tonight. He put in a few crunching challenges. Didn't have too much influence on the ball. His one real foray forward led to him hitting the crossbar with a cross. Leitch scored from the rebound.

McShane - MOM for me. Didn't put in any tackles, but was always available, always talking and played the ball around very well. Sat deep and just dictated play.

Connolly - was on the end off a few meaty challenges. Really came into the game second half. Was unlucky not to score with one particular edge of the box strike which deflected just wide.

Leitch - played wide left. He may be more useful centrally where his quick touches could link play. Tried to take the full back on a few times and mostly failed. Was mostly ineffective, but took his goal really well. Composed enough to lift it over the keeper who was flapping in his direction. His other main chance was in the first half when he had a volley from about 15 yards on the angle but didn't connect well and skewed it well wide.

Johnstone - tried hard. Linked the game OK at times. Looked shattered after about 60 minutes but kept going and got his goal by gambling that the centre back would f**k up. Good strength to then hold the defender off while he slipped it past the keeper.

McManus - full of running and generally a nuisance for the defence without having too many chances. Header was well placed for his goal.

Subs

Tidser - looked composed enough, without doing anything much

Telfer - created a couple of chances before we faded and Berwick pushed for a consolation.

Understandable that the team faded at the end after 4 games in 10 days. Just served to highlight the lack of depth we have though. Had we been shooting down hill and with the breeze first half the scoreline may have been more flattering IMO.

Watch McKinnon's interview and his answer about a small squad. Ooft. Something is off here.

100% he knows it’s nowhere near enough, no manager in world football would be happy going into the season with 17 players. Don’t know what it comes down to but going off his answer he’s a little bit fuming.

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What exactly did this 'shiting on the carpet entail'?  It looked to me that he was guilty of saying things lots of you didn't like or agree with.

On that basis, I look forward to my ensuing ban.

To be fair, the entire forum is looking forward to that day. 

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
I don't think that's a small gripe at all - it's the major one.
The reality is that someone was charged with this and though probably rightly cleared, he had allegedly used words aggressively and in a way that could conceivably be construed as racist.  We only need to see last week's Trump story to see that a construction which involves 'going back home' is sensitive, loaded, and best avoided.
The issue really was that this became a label attached to an entire fan base, and much as that group demonstrably contains lots of infantile wallopers, a charge of racism isn't fair.

What, in the name of everloving f**k, is this??

What are you struggling with here?

Is it that you don't understand the point I'm making, or is it just that you have a need to lash out when you see my username next to a post?

100% he knows it’s nowhere near enough, no manager in world football would be happy going into the season with 17 players. Don’t know what it comes down to but going off his answer he’s a little bit fuming.
But how has it got to that point? Has he been told he's only allowed 17 players (no matter the cost), had his budget cut after signing some players or has he been given a budget and he's spent it all on potentially too few players?

But how has it got to that point? Has he been told he's only allowed 17 players (no matter the cost), had his budget cut after signing some players or has he been given a budget and he's spent it all on potentially too few players?
I was under the impression he'd been guven an initial budget with the idea that once the takeover was sorted it would increase by a small amount. Either that or we're waiting on the Dunne money. Probably what the other trialist is waiting on too for his deal.

McKinnon also said Laverty is likely to go on loan once he's fit so he's our only 'reserve' player and not part of the first team squad.

Feels like a bit of a mess, either McKinnon has fucked up by using up the budget on too few players or the board has promised him more and not delivered. I know what id bet on.

1 minute ago, ilostmyself said:

I was under the impression he'd been guven an initial budget with the idea that once the takeover was sorted it would increase by a small amount. Either that or we're waiting on the Dunne money. Probably what the other trialist is waiting on too for his deal.

McKinnon also said Laverty is likely to go on loan once he's fit so he's our only 'reserve' player and not part of the first team squad.

Feels like a bit of a mess, either McKinnon has fucked up by using up the budget on too few players or the board has promised him more and not delivered. I know what id bet on.

So do we think we are going into the season with a squad of 17 then ?

Christ what a monumental f**k up all round.

Unless there is an injection of cash either by the MSG or they accept one of the bids I don't see enough cash to see the season through. Just a hunch I don't know anything factually. The Vaulks 365k that they mentioned at the EGM won't last for ever

McKinnon isn’t a rookie boss though. I just can’t see him spunking cash without building a large enough squad. 17 players is a joke if indeed that’s what it will be come opening day. That alone should be the most damning stat you need for this board to be judged on.....again assuming mckinnons calculator hasn’t broken.

17 hours ago, Into The Valley said:

So, someone told you something that you believed, taking it as 'the truth', before referencing a 'suspect', who actually isn't, before discovering that it had no foundation in fact at all?

How ironic!

And is "my bad if not" as far reaching as your own apology will go?

Hardly think my mistake  for thinking some boy had signed for Alloa is the same level as accusing someone of racial abuse. 

7 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Watch McKinnon's interview and his answer about a small squad. Ooft. Something is off here.

A long while back, someone made a telling point about Craig Campbell. They said that he might be doing a hundred wonderful things behind the scenes but that he'd made so many feck-ups that he had to go.

There was more than a grain of truth in that.

I heard that CC was pretty effective at much of the unseen stuff, though maybe not always his PR or  people skills. In particular, he and ML always did whatever they could to support the management team. 

If you were to ask any of the management, coaches, or backroom staff what they think of the person who's now running the show, and how supportive they feel he is, well, hmmm.... 

The good thing about people who have no professional football knowledge is that they generally recognise their shortcomings. They let the pros guide them as to what needs to be done. If you have someone with amateur knowledge and a different mindset, then there may be potential for friction.

Ach well, I'm sure a small squad will be fine. It probably worked at Sauchie Juniors. 

4 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

A long while back, someone made a telling point about Craig Campbell. They said that he might be doing a hundred wonderful things behind the scenes but that he'd made so many feck-ups that he had to go.

There was more than a grain of truth in that.

I heard that CC was pretty effective at much of the unseen stuff, though maybe not always his PR or  people skills. In particular, he and ML always did whatever they could to support the management team. 

If you were to ask any of the management, coaches, or backroom staff what they think of the person who's now running the show, and how supportive they feel he is, well, hmmm.... 

The good thing about people who have no professional football knowledge is that they generally recognise their shortcomings. They let the pros guide them as to what needs to be done. If you have someone with amateur knowledge and a different mindset, then there may be potential for friction.

Ach well, I'm sure a small squad will be fine. It probably worked at Sauchie Juniors. 

InsertFace-com-1170-clown-O3dGXw.jpg.a728ddbe8078ae365bd6ee82f3400293.jpg