The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

A small squad and a far too small squad are very different things.
Our squad is clearly far too small.

When you consider Bell, Toshney and Johnstone have had large spells out, Tidser sure was out for a couple of months last season, Gomis been prone to injuries in his latter years and already injured MacClean was out injured at Morton too.

When you add In suspensions, one now (Durnan)leaves us no defensive cover. We will have to be very lucky with both injuries and suspensions nevermind player form, where the danger being certain players will know they will start week in week out

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

When you consider Bell, Toshney and Johnstone have had large spells out, Tidser sure was out for a couple of months last season, Gomis been prone to injuries in his latter years and already injured MacClean was out injured at Morton too.

When you add In suspensions, one now (Durnan)leaves us no defensive cover. We will have to be very lucky with both injuries and suspensions nevermind player form, where the danger being certain players will know they will start week in week out

How has he looked in the cup matches so far?

There shouldn’t be any debate here. A professional team, no matter what league they are in, should be running with 19 players. Just take the incident on Saturday with Durnan. That could happen to a few players over the course of the season where the Ref gives a debatable red card. That’s even before injuries kick in when we end up kicked off the park (ie Telfer on Saturday).

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

Personally I'd rather we took a chance with better quality players but a small squad. It might backfire but I can't be arsed signing League 1 players and struggling to get out of the division and if we do manage to get up having to sign a new team again to compete in the Championship next season. 

Hopefully a few cheap loans become available to bulk up the squad though. 

By all means, feel free to try. From experience, the better or faster attacking players often suffer more robust challenges in League 1, with consequent loss of playing time. The pitches also tend to be a wee bit ragged, and do not reward skilled play as much. Quality over quantity sounds good, but the results in League 1 have been mixed, at best. 

23 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

There shouldn’t be any debate here. A professional team, no matter what league they are in, should be running with 19 players. Just take the incident on Saturday with Durnan. That could happen to a few players over the course of the season where the Ref gives a debatable red card. That’s even before injuries kick in when we end up kicked off the park (ie Telfer on Saturday).

How long is Telfer out for?

How many injuries did any of last years diddies get? Or any season for that matter?

Why does everyone now expect we will suffer all these injuries?

Ray has said he is looking at signing one more then the loan market will come into play. We can’t have our cake and eat it when we’ve just been relegated. We either sign more players of a poorer standard or fewer but better players. Again I know what I’d rather have. 

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

By all means, feel free to try. From experience, the better or faster attacking players often suffer more robust challenges in League 1, with consequent loss of playing time. The pitches also tend to be a wee bit ragged, and do not reward skilled play as much. Quality over quantity sounds good, but the results in League 1 have been mixed, at best. 

Arent the majority now astro?

Guest Ecosse83
10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Aye the Championship pitches are like bowling greens right enough 😆

Shhhhh! We're impeccable when it comes to contracts.

RM clearly has a lot of faith in his ability. He's clearly not just an easy option or he wouldn't have been given the short contract to prove himself.

If he doesn't bag a hat-trick against Berwick though...

Is he on a month deal? 

Skyline Drifter said a couple of weeks ago that players couldn't be signed on a month contract, is it an amateur contract? 

Surely it’s pretty obvious that we can’t have everything. Yes we could have signed 22 Tom Owen-Evans and Dan Turners or 18 Tidser, Telfers and McManus.
I know what I’d prefer. 
As it stands we have a bench of probably McShane, Leitch, Johnstone, Toshney and Mutch. 

Surely it is pretty obvious that if the MSG and Board has accepted the BTB investment in the timescale agreed we would not be in this unholy mess?

Just now, Back Post Misses said:

Surely it is pretty obvious that if the MSG and Board has accepted the BTB investment in the timescale agreed we would not be in this unholy mess?

Or apologised to the support for the numerous f**k ups which have led us to being several hundred ST's short of where we would all like to be?

Regardless of the reasons why we are where we are, they are squarely responsible for the above, which has inflicted a direct cost on the club. On that basis, you can pretty much put a price on their ego. 

I note that the excuse recently given to me by someone at the club (active case) for no apology has now been put to bed, as told directly from the accused to the board, face to face, yet no apology forthcoming. 

I think most Falkirk fans agree we are 2 or 3 players shy to have cover and a full bench every week. Were we disagree is how or if we will rectify that state of affiars

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Or apologised to the support for the numerous f**k ups which have led us to being several hundred ST's short of where we would all like to be?

Regardless of the reasons why we are where we are, they are squarely responsible for the above, which has inflicted a direct cost on the club. On that basis, you can pretty much put a price on their ego. 

I note that the excuse recently given to me by someone at the club (active case) for no apology has now been put to bed, as told directly from the accused to the board, face to face, yet no apology forthcoming. 

2.4M, is what they seem to think the club is worth, 

Lex is wanting his 144K thats for sure.

even though we all gave SA a hammering after his awful performance on Friday I still believe he is one of the only ones willing to Dilute his share for the BtB scheme.

8 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Absolutely yes, they are entirely to blame and it’s just the latest in a long line of mistakes but the manager was given a budget and has chosen to spend it this way.

The point I am making is we can’t have a 22 man squad of the quality we have signed. It’s either fewer good quality players or more poorer players

We are 2 or 3 players short if we have injuries ,  we are playing in a league which has some robust challenges  .

Yes the players look a bit more quality but we need cover  17 players doesn't isn't enough .

If you look at the season tickets from last year over 3000 and now just over 2000 that is a lot of money , £200,000 which would have more than likely been given to RM in his budget 

1 minute ago, auldtoonbairn said:

We are 2 or 3 players short if we have injuries ,  we are playing in a league which has some robust challenges  .

Yes the players look a bit more quality but we need cover  17 players doesn't isn't enough .

If you look at the season tickets from last year over 3000 and now just over 2000 that is a lot of money , £200,000 which would have more than likely been given to RM in his budget 

800k is even more

On the how we bolster the squad:-

- if approved, how long would btb cash take to hit the playing budget?

- what's the current status of bairn for life? Are they still paying for McShane, or was that just the best looking of the January signings so that cash was attributed to him?

- we hang tight and hope for 3 or 4 loanees who could do a job?

- any other ideas?

On the who, we look light in defence and defensive midfield. I love the look of Gomis on the ball and he seems to read the game very well, but I'm not expecting him to win many physical battles in there. Toshney can apparently cover both, so more defenders are needed I reckon.

Edited to fix some auto correct shenanigans.