The Falkirk FC Thread

McKinnon has talked about getting in one more player (cover for LB). By my count that would give us 2 keepers, (Bell, Mutch), 6 defenders (Doyle, Toshney,  Buchanan,  Durnan, Dixon, New LB), 7 midfielders (Gomis, McShane, Tidser, Connolly, Leitch, Telfer, MacLean) and four strikers (McManus, Sammon, Johnstone, Laverty) giving us a total of 19. Yes it's a small squad...I'm sure in an ideal world both McKinnon and the fans would love to get a couple more players in on top of that. But if that's our lot I still reckon McKinnon has spent the budget well, last season we had a big squad - filled almost exclusively with utter dug meat

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

17 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Surely it’s pretty obvious that we can’t have everything. Yes we could have signed 22 Tom Owen-Evans and Dan Turners or 18 Tidser, Telfers and McManus.

I know what I’d prefer. 

As it stands we have a bench of probably McShane, Leitch, Johnstone, Toshney and Mutch. 

So spaces on the bench every week and that’s before injuries, suspensions and loss of form.

Great idea.

8 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

When is Laverty due back from his injury?

Did he not just get a contract extension because of his injury? Don't think the club wanted to boot him out with that in play. Never thought he was anywhere near a first team slot.

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Well if a contract extension for him is already in the budget, then I think its safe to assume not injured = enough

Disappointing if true as he's done hee haw. I'd much rather we looked at other options to see whats available by the tie his contract runs out.

Guest Ecosse83
12 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

So spaces on the bench every week and that’s before injuries, suspensions and loss of form.

Great idea.

So you would have preferred quantity over quality? 

Just now, Ecosse83 said:

We tried that look what happened but if due diligence is done on scouting then we may have been able to get mediocre for our level to fill some spaces but due dilligence doesnt seem to be something we know much about or at least the board doesnt.

6 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

When is Laverty due back from his injury?

The club won't put a time on it - they never do with long term injuries in case things don't work out as they would like.

Aidan has an idea in his head as to when he hopes to return by, but in very general terms it'll probably be in the winter. Maybe a wee bit earlier if things go well.

Disappointing if true as he's done hee haw. I'd much rather we looked at other options to see whats available by the tie his contract runs out.
He has scored and assisted. Think we were said to have looked better agains Livi when he came on no?

Dont think its fair to say that yet.

7 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Not at all but you need a decent sized squad. We don’t have that.

Managers usually don’t fill the bench to make a point mid season.

We are starting the season like that.

I do hope you are right and it’s the correct approach though mate.

6 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

From the interview that RM gave, I got the impression that he wasn't expected to do anything other than get fit and prove he could stay that way. 

If he managed that then it was expected that his quality would shine through in the end.

I kind of agree with that actually. I watched him regularly as a Scotland youth player and the boy was a baller.  

4 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

From the interview that RM gave, I got the impression that he wasn't expected to do anything other than get fit and prove he could stay that way. 

If he managed that then it was expected that his quality would shine through in the end.

I kind of agree with that actually. I watched him regularly as a Scotland youth player and the boy was a baller.  

If he gets fit and shows his quality by the end of his short term deal then great otherwise I hope we arent going to sign him up for longer because its an easy option.

Guest Ecosse83
5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Not at all but you need a decent sized squad. We don’t have that.

Managers usually don’t fill the bench to make a point mid season.

We are starting the season like that.

I do hope you are right and it’s the correct approach though mate.

Personally I'd rather we took a chance with better quality players but a small squad. It might backfire but I can't be arsed signing League 1 players and struggling to get out of the division and if we do manage to get up having to sign a new team again to compete in the Championship next season. 

Hopefully a few cheap loans become available to bulk up the squad though. 

16 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Personally I'd rather we took a chance with better quality players but a small squad. It might backfire but I can't be arsed signing League 1 players and struggling to get out of the division and if we do manage to get up having to sign a new team again to compete in the Championship next season. 

We will soon find out. We should be fast out of the blocks and win our first few games.

A small squad and a far too small squad are very different things.
Our squad is clearly far too small.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Taking into account Johnstone is only on a one month deal, and Leitch and Toshney (i think) only 6 month deals.

Is he on a month deal? 

Skyline Drifter said a couple of weeks ago that players couldn't be signed on a month contract, is it an amateur contract?