The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, CPBAIRN said:

I’m not doubting the quality in the side, I’m actually delighted with pretty much all the signings. If we avoid injuries and suspensions then I think we win the league comfortably, and we’ll do it playing some good football.

But it’s the start of the season and we’ve already got 4 players likely out for the Berwick game (Durnan, Laverty, McLean and Sammon). Which means only 2 outfield subs. Who comes on if a defender turns an ankle? It’s not about being very unlucky, it’s just about picking up the standard number of injuries and suspension every team gets every year. 

So I’ll concede that an 18 man squad could potentially  still win the league - but it drastically reduces our chances in the course of a long season in a physically ‘robust’ league. 2 utility players in would be a big help. 

If we only have 2 outfield subs vs Berwick, this close to the start of the season, that’s appalling management.

Also shows the lack of cohesion between manager and board.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

If we only have 2 outfield subs vs Berwick, this close to the start of the season, that’s appalling management.
Also shows the lack of cohesion between manager and board.

Not really management, I highly doubt RMcK wants to run a squad of 18, it’ll be due to finances at the end of the day.

I think running into this season is one of those moments where you see how even more deluded our BoD .  There is no way that we can win this league with that few players and those running the club are showing how clueless they actually are 18 players over 36 games not including cup runs and given the fact is 2 we have on deals until January and DJ on a one month to prove his fitness before offering a contract which will probably be only 6 months as well till January, takes us back down to 15.

2 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

Not really management, I highly doubt RMcK wants to run a squad of 18, it’ll be due to finances at the end of the day.

Bear in mind those words of the MSG will make up the shortfall, if we are running at a break even and no additional funding is being added then the MSG havent had to put there hands in their own pockets. but its ok we have 2 of them working for free. 

I think running into this season is one of those moments where you see how even more deluded our BoD .  There is no way that we can win this league with that few players and those running the club are showing how clueless they actually are 18 players over 36 games not including cup runs and given the fact is 2 we have on deals until January and DJ on a one month to prove his fitness before offering a contract which will probably be only 6 months as well till January, takes us back down to 15.

I fully expect us to get some youth players on loan. Clubs might be happy to foot the full wage bill just to get them experience

Ridiculous we are struggling with this size of squad when there is 800k investment waiting in the wings to go straight i nto the team budget. Good quality loans tend to not come available till the end of the transfer window when the manager of their clubs deem them surplus to requirements. I'm sure until then we can use trialists to help pad out the squad.

Edited by Shodwall cat

5 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

One thing from the EGM I haven't seen anywhere reported was they didn't ask to see McKinnons contract before speaking to him they took the word of the agent. Of course that was CC and ML's fault as AT and LM never got told anything emoji15.png

ML corrected LM a couple of times when he issued statements that weren't true. I'm surprised she didn't jump in on that one too. 

Actually, now that I think about it, was it not LM who "explained" the story on how McKinnon was recruited? Bit of a strange choice given that ML and CC did most of the work after the BOD sanctioned  them to speak to him.  

6 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

No one can have sympathy with them simply because they said they would cover any shortfall until new owners come in. So this 18 man squad is of their making. McKinnon via that expression knows it is too few. Yet again another incorrect board strategy.

And if I read one more fan say they its the stay away fans fault and at the same time ignore the waste of £1.3m on last year's budget and £140k on the McKinnon hiring shambles I am going to lose it.

One thing from the EGM I haven't seen anywhere reported was they didn't ask to see McKinnons contract before speaking to him they took the word of the agent. Of course that was CC and ML's fault as AT and LM never got told anything emoji15.png

Did they not say that they couldn't do that because that would've been referred to as tapping up? Sure that was the excuse given by LM whether its correct or not is another story.

The plan cannot have been to run with this small a squad, surely. Is the budget still the budget? Looks like it may have been trimmed a bit.

I'm not having a go at people who are trying to elicit change (particularly as I'm not a regular attender these days), but simplistically, 300 people at £300 a head is £90k, or 2 very decent squad players. To say that would have no effect on the club's finances seems naive to me, despite what the board said. We don't quite know what the baseline for that was in terms of numbers in the squad, so could easily be spun based on thier projection of what 'break even' looks like.

Can I ask the people boycotting, if the original 25% btb proposal was approved and activated now (and certain statements addressed), how many would still see that as the way forward, or is total buy out the only solution for you now? What conditions would you attach to supporting it?

Edited for a maths typo.

The plan cannot have been to run with this small a squad, surely. Is the budget still the budget? Looks like it may have been trimmed a bit.

I'm not having a go at people who are trying to elicit change (particularly as I'm not a regular attender these days), but simplistically, 30 people at £300 a head is £90k, or 2 very decent squad players. To say that would have no effect on the club's finances seems naive to me, despite what the board said. We don't quite know what the baseline for that was in terms of numbers in the squad, so could easily be spun based on thier projection of what 'break even' looks like.

Can I ask the people boycotting, if the original 25% btb proposal was approved and activated now (and certain statements addressed), how many would still see that as the way forward, or is total buy out the only solution for you now? What conditions would you attach to supporting it?

I assume you mean 300?

Sorry but for anyone to be pointing the finger at fans when 140k was wasted recruiting McKinnon and £1.3m on last years shambles can get lost.

Let’s not forget the Board have turned down 800k from fans too.

I'm not having a go at people who are trying to elicit change (particularly as I'm not a regular attender these days), but simplistically, 30 people at £300 a head is £90k, or 2 very decent squad players. To say that would have no effect on the club's finances seems naive to me, despite what the board said. We don't quite know what the baseline for that was in terms of numbers in the squad, so could easily be spun based on thier projection of what 'break even' looks like.

Cannot possibly put the blame on the those choosing to boycott for the ridiculously small squad that we currently have. The BOD/MSG have blanked the £800,000 investment from the fans consortium, those delusional old men and egotistical incompetents are wholly responsible.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just pointing out how daft boycotts can be, tbh. Your man BPM seems to have been pushing for it, solely so he can point out the fact your board claimed they would cover up the difference if anything like this happened.

Sounds like someone with the club at heart...

Why are the St Johnstone fans boycotting today's game?

The board said they would foot any shortfall in budget the budget at the moment they set was break even so they havent put there hand in there own pocket, oh we are meant to be grateful that LM and AT are working for "FREE". Way i see it is they got the club into this mess no one else to blame bar their own disastrous decision making.  As been said earlier the only way they have got away with it so long is by good luck and thats now ran out as has their time at the club.

The boycott is having an effect on the club finances and I’d like to think it sends a message to the MSG/board that even 300 or so fans can have an impact.

For me I’m not even looking for them all to leave I just want them the let go of some of the power. The BTB option is by far the one I support the most.

I know people are saying we will get a couple of loans in closer to the window closing. But honestly that may too late we are already carrying two injuries and a suspension taking our available players to 15 for the next two matches. Which is tactical like telling the opposition how you (a) Your matchday team and (b) your formation. Ray really needs to go into the boardroom and ask for funds for two 6 month signings at a bare minimum.

I know people are saying we will get a couple of loans in closer to the window closing. But honestly that may too late we are already carrying two injuries and a suspension taking our available players to 15 for the next two matches. Which is tactical like telling the opposition how you (a) Your matchday team and (b) your formation. Ray really needs to go into the boardroom and ask for funds for two 6 month signings at a bare minimum.
Too late for what? Our chances of winning the league won't be over by the end of August

8 minutes ago, Rocco said:
26 minutes ago, Gus2 said:

Too late for what? Our chances of winning the league won't be over by the end of August

To stop niggles that happen because of the close season training regime of some will become short term injuries which if not addressed get gradually worse Keep us in cups which provide revenue and those will make winning this league more difficult in the long term 

I'm, personally, not criticising anyone for protesting against them. I imagine behind the scenes they're thinking some Delia Smithesque chat.

I'm a small part of that £800k. I'd really like to see it happen, because:
- we have a very small, if talented squad this season, which is clearly still a few bodies short considering we have no backup youths
- this season will be difficult enough and the team needs as much backing as possible
- We need to get out of this league ASAP before the want of new ownership becomes a crisis needing more than simply that and we're rearranging games with partick thistle to get cash in the door.

I'm concerned with a lot of the boycotting chat suggests that those people would no longer back the original btb scheme because it would mean the current powers remaining largely in place. It would mean looking past the absolute omnishambles that was last season.

Are all the boycotters still behind the btb scheme?