The Falkirk FC Thread

Set up in a 4312 for this game, Gomis sitting deep and Connolly in behind the strikers with Tidser and Telfer both moving up and down. 

Moving the ball well in spells, tempo a little slow. Gomis looks a good player from what I have seen so far, keeping it ticking and breaking up the play well when necessary. Both fullbacks pushing on quite a bit but the crossing has been poor. Hopefully going to see a good connection form between both Connolly and Telfer throughout the season, both pinging passes off each other at various point and could be crucial in unlocking some defences. Centre-halves are going to see a lot of the ball for the next year so hopefully it’s something that they can get used to and improve on. 

Pretty happy with what I am seeing though.

Edited by Chinatoon Bairn
Formats absolutely howling on that, might edit it later if I can be arsed.

Slack second half but we are going to be having a lot of these types of games trying to break down 10 men sitting 20 yards from goal.

Jimmy Gomis mopped up well tonight and clearly MOTM closely followed by Telfer.

Durnan and Buchanan strolled it winning every header that came their way.

Doyle will give you 100% but he's not much of a footballer(I know we were already told that)

Gomis- how much better is he than any of the defensive centre mids we had last season? Read the game well, broke up play and kept the ball ticking over. 

Telfer and Connolly were both lively they'll be right good for us this season.

Tidser fell in and out the game but you can see the class he has.

McManus was brilliant, ran the channels, took the ball short and also put himself about. Reminded me of Andy Nelson.

Sammon and Johnstone were very much meh but it's early days plenty of time to get up to speed.

Blair Malcolm in attendance again this evening, got to imagine we'll sign him and some cover at LB then that'll be us.

As for tonight, decent run-out without being spectacular. We look like we'll be capable of digging in and getting results which is promising, just need to find a bit of ruthlessness in the final third which will hopefully come with time.

Agree on the Gomis for MOTM shouts, honourable mention to McManus though who looks like he'll be the one to make things happen for us

All too early to judge fully but felt we were better against Livi.

These games are pre season tosh tho and nothing is definite in how it will be come season starts but tonight made me feel we had zero width.

McShane and Gomis going into tackles half hearted this evening was a good example of this need

Still need a strong centre mid for me, not a football player, just there to break up play, good in the air, strong tackler.

Maybe a couple of bench filler defenders that can cover centre back and full back and I’d like to see an attacking midfielder/striker sign also.

Positives for me were the two central defenders, Telfer and Connolly contrasting last years midfielders by not hiding but wanting to get on the ball and play good forward passes, Gomis looked very effective and strolled it considering it’s his first game and he’s been injured. McManus also showed that he’ll be a real handful for defences, showed good work rate and flashes of skill.

Negatives on the night were Doyle and Tidser, both of whom had poor games I thought, though to be fair they both put in a shift. I fear for Denny Johnstone, he gave it everything and had some good touches but he runs like a man with a bad knee. I hate to say it but he reminded me of Graham Barrett. I hope for the lad I’m totally wrong.

Overall a competent but not outstanding performance, which when I think about the Forfar game this time last year is a massive step forward from that pile of vomit.